New server update changed the layout of all my collections!!

Tenyrsgone27

Tenyrsgone27

I'm not sure exactly what happened, but the latest Emby Server upgrade changed my entire collection layout in my folders. I have my superhero moves in individual folders inside the superhero folder. Everything was very organized and looked amazing until the last update. Now it's 1 line across the screen of all the movies! Nothing is in collections, nothing is organized, it looks like crap. Is this going to be fixed or changed back to how it was, basically showing collections in a 2-folder tier structure? 

visproduction
Posted (edited)

Collections should still be available as an optional addition to the home menu and accessable from the left pull out menu.  (My current version is a beta.)

Edited by visproduction

Tenyrsgone27
Posted (edited)

No, that is not what I'm talking about. I created my own collection (blu-ray sets) folder, inside my blu-ray set folder are additional folders that have folders inside of them for each superhero movie, (antman, Avengers, Deadpool etc.) That is now gone, there is no more organization in the folder structure in the folders, it's just 1 line of movies across the screen.

The above "collections" add to home page shows you ALL your collections you've created, that's not what I use, I create my own collection folders for organization. 

Edited by Tenyrsgone27

visproduction

Right, sounds like subfolders no longer appear.  I don't recall ever seeing subfolders as a feature.  Was your custom folder approach listed somewhere in the guide as an optional way to sort your media?

Tenyrsgone27

Subfolders have been showing for years since I started using Emby server. It's one of the main reasons I've loved Emby so much vs Plex because of the subfolder organization I am (was) able to do with it. 

Same thing with my animation movies, I have an anime folder and inside have 15 subfolders of anime collections + single movies and now all those are just 1 line of movies instead of showing all the subfolders + single movies. :( 

visproduction
  1. Go to admin Library
  2. Click on 3 dots of a library
  3. Choose Folders Add
  4. add in a subfolder

Result will show the new subfolder in with the other folders.  It will not be nested inside a folder.

OldFilms/1940s/filmnoir
Folder view can show all three folders.

Main menu Library OldFilms shows all films including subfolders

Folder 1940's show all films in 1940s except filmnoir

Folder filmnoir shows only films inside that folder

Does that get you back to the way you organized before?  It seems like the update did not recognize your subfolder groupings.

Tenyrsgone27

No, if I go to the folder view everything is perfect. It's the collections view that no longer shows the subfolders. Can I just roll back the server? I'll gladly go back to the previous version before this change.

2 minutes ago, Tenyrsgone27 said:

It's the collections view that no longer shows the subfolders

Hi.  Can you show us exactly what view you are talking about here?

Tenyrsgone27
Posted (edited)

See attached. Under the collections section at the top inside of my blu-ray sets collection I created. You will see the before picture with all the subfolders, now a single line of movies. I've played around with all the 3 dots and looked in settings and couldn't find anything to change back to the subfolder view it used to show. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

20240503_100421.jpg

Edited by Tenyrsgone27

Hi, what do you mean by subfolders? That screen never had subfolders on it. So for example, just the exact titles added to the Super Hero Collection.

Tenyrsgone27

Sorry if I'm not explaining it correctly, it's been a rough day. Let me try with the file structure:

Oh my home screen I created a "blu-ray sets" collection of movies (created a movie library and then did the whole add to collection process when I first setup my Emby server) and in some of those folders I have subfolders like Super Hero. 

My file structure is as such. In the previous version of Emby Server when I click on blu-ray sets and it would be under the "collections" view at the top, then click on Super Hero I would see the structure the same as the folder view with the subfolder showing each subfolder etc. 

Blu-ray Sets/Super Hero/Ant Man

Blu-ray Sets/Super Hero/Bat Man

Blu-ray Sets/Super Hero/Deadpool

etc. etc. 

visproduction

Try adding Blu-ray Sets/Super Hero as a new folder in the library directory admin setup for Blu-ray Sets.

Tenyrsgone27

That doesn't work. I already tried that and I shouldn't have to add or do anything extra to fix this. This was a result of the last upgrade to the server. I need to understand how I roll back the server to the previous version. I'm very unhappy with the layout now. 

Oh my home screen I created a "blu-ray sets" collection of movies (created a movie library and then did the whole add to collection process when I first setup my Emby server) and in some of those folders I have subfolders like Super Hero. 

What did you add to the collections?

Tenyrsgone27

What do you mean? 

Inside of the blu-ray sets are all my folders of movie sets and then inside some of the folders I have sub folders like super hero. 

Blu-ray Sets/Super Hero/Ant Man

3 minutes ago, Tenyrsgone27 said:

Inside of the blu-ray sets

What are you calling a "blu-ray set" in Emby setup terms?

Exactly what did you add to the collection in Emby using the "Add to collection" menu?

Tenyrsgone27
Posted (edited)

Admin Center under folders I created Blu-Ray Sets as a movie file type. This is where I have all the folders of movie sets and some have subfolders. When you click on the Blu-Rays sets icon on the home page and then click collections at the top and it will show me all the folders I created inside my blu-ray sets folder. 

The "collections" group thing that Emby creates I do not have this listed on my home page. However, inside that "collections" icon if I do add it to the home page are all the collection folders, BUT when I go into Super Hero it still shows as below. 

image.thumb.png.fce9af9c59c6ad11e3c4114d956789ab.pngimage.thumb.png.41f845fd3431875c7f597355815cf9a0.png

Edited by Tenyrsgone27

32 minutes ago, Tenyrsgone27 said:

Admin Center under folders I created Blu-Ray Sets as a movie file type

What is Admin Center?  And what did you create as a "movie file type"?

"Collections" in Emby are not a representation of your folder structure.  They are generated from metadata (from tmdb) or manually created via the "Add to collection" menu.

Tenyrsgone27

Not admin center, just in the settings in the Emby Server where you add folder/files.

I give up, I've explained this 3 times and provided pics. I don't know how else to explain or what information to provide so you understand. 

Before server upgrade to latest version: Layout was 1000% fine and exactly how I wanted it.

After server upgrade to latest version: Layout is now 1 row of movies and not how I like it. <-- Obviously the latest update did this.

I'll just see if I can find the previous version of Emby server and reinstall it to get the layout back the way I liked it and turn off automatic server updates. 

After server upgrade to latest version: Layout is now 1 row of movies and not how I like it. <-- Obviously the latest update did this.

This isn't right. The only reason for the horizontal rows would be if you added more than one media type to the collection.

First things first, please try the Emby Server 4.8.6 update and let us know how that compares. Thanks !

Tenyrsgone27
Posted (edited)

When is 4.8.6 rolling out? I only see 4.8.5 listed. 

Edited by Tenyrsgone27

MBSki
34 minutes ago, Luke said:

The only reason for the horizontal rows would be if you added more than one media type to the collection.

Even if there's more than 1 media type, there still shouldn't be horizontal rows. What if there are 100's of items in each media type? It should be vertical to accommodate big collections. 

Happy2Play

I am confused where is this image from as it is not from Collections and per the icon it would have to be Folder view.  There is no correlation in these two views as Collection have nothing to do with folder structure.

image.png.6823e4f682d1d82e730e5daf92b048cc.png

But sounds like the issue of what causes scroller vs grid?

3 hours ago, Tenyrsgone27 said:

When you click on the Blu-Rays sets icon on the home page and then click collections at the top and it will show me all the folders I created inside my blu-ray sets folder. 

Still confused as Collections tab/library does not work off structure at all.  Collection are independent of any structure sort of as they do have library restrictions from a location standpoint as library is restricted to that library and My Media Collections is global all libraries but still nothing to do with what is inside any given folder.

Tenyrsgone27

Yes scrolling VS grid, there ya go, however you need to understand it. Before it was a grid now it's a stupid scroll. Needs to go back to a grid view. 

Before server upgrade to latest version: Layout was 1000% awesome in a grid format

After server upgrade to latest version: Layout is now 1 row of movies in a scrolling format t. <-- Obviously the latest update did this.

Since your saying the collections tab has nothing to do with the file format, then it's Emby Server latest update that changed it from grid to scrolling. Needs to be switched back to grid view. 

Happy2Play

I thought I found a variable in other topics but am unable to reproduce again.  I currently cannot make a Collection that scrolls.

Does the issue only exist on existing Collections?

If you have updated are you able to reproduce the issue on a new collection?  

Not sure of your platform but does not appear all assets are up yet

Release 4.8.6.0 · MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases (github.com)