Emby shutting down randomly

dnicks
Go to solution Solved by Lessaj,

dnicks

Can anyone help me figure out why this is happening? It's on Windows, at first I thought maybe my machine was updating and restarting which would need my password to actually start windows and then start emby, but that's not it.  Every day or two, I'll go to watch something and it won't work because the server isn't running. The computer hasn't restarted (I have emby as a startup app anyway), all other programs are still running fine.

Of the files below, 355 is apparently when it was running. At some point after that, it shut down. 450 is when I manually restarted it.

Thanks for any help

embyserver355.txt hardware_detection450.txt

Hi, can you please attach the emby server log from prior to this? Thanks.

dnicks
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, can you please attach the emby server log from prior to this? Thanks.

@Luke

355 was right before the one previously posted

340 was previous to that with hardware-detection in between the two

Thanks for the help

embyserver340.txt embyserver-355also.txt

Edited by dnicks

Lessaj

It looks like you're on the old beta 4.8.0.80 and it's trying to update itself to 4.8.5.0. I guess it's not actually updating itself so you should probably update it manually.

2024-05-01 15:40:32.389 Info App: Emby Server Version: 4.8.0.80
2024-05-01 15:40:41.542 Info App: Application has been updated to version 4.8.5.0
2024-05-01 15:40:41.658 Info App: Emby Server needs to be restarted
2024-05-01 15:55:41.654 Info App: Automatically restarting the system because it is idle and a restart is required.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

dnicks
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Lessaj said:

It looks like you're on the old beta 4.8.0.80 and it's trying to update itself to 4.8.5.0. I guess it's not actually updating itself so you should probably update it manually.

2024-05-01 15:40:32.389 Info App: Emby Server Version: 4.8.0.80
2024-05-01 15:40:41.542 Info App: Application has been updated to version 4.8.5.0
2024-05-01 15:40:41.658 Info App: Emby Server needs to be restarted
2024-05-01 15:55:41.654 Info App: Automatically restarting the system because it is idle and a restart is required.

OK thank you! I had no idea I was on the beta version. I appreciate your help. 
I wonder why,  if a restart is required, it is shutting down but not starting back up?

Edited by dnicks

HI, we'll take a look at it, but for now, simply shut down the server, and then you can install the latest version from our website on top of your existing version.

dnicks
3 hours ago, Luke said:

HI, we'll take a look at it, but for now, simply shut down the server, and then you can install the latest version from our website on top of your existing version.

Ok thank you👍

dnicks

@Luke@Lessaj

So I went to install the latest version on top of the existing version, but I'm getting an 'access denied' error to dashboard -ui/server/downloads. I set it to Everyone-Full Control but still got the error. That folder is empty. I'm guessing that's why when emby tried to auto update it failed.

• Solution
Lessaj

I'm not very familiar with updating on Windows, was the service stopped first? I don't want to suggest anything that might break your install (though really the important stuff is in the data folder) but you can probably just delete the dashboard-ui folder and it will just get recreated when you install the new version.

• Like 1

jaycedk

Make sure that Emby server is shutdown.

Check task manager and make sure its not running.

• Like 1

dnicks
12 minutes ago, Lessaj said:

I'm not very familiar with updating on Windows, was the service stopped first? I don't want to suggest anything that might break your install (though really the important stuff is in the data folder) but you can probably just delete the dashboard-ui folder and it will just get recreated when you install the new version.

3 minutes ago, jaycedk said:

Make sure that Emby server is shutdown.

Check task manager and make sure its not running.

I checked task manager to confirm the server is shut down. I will try deleting the folder and installing.

Thanks

dnicks

Thank you guys so much. Deleting the dashboard-ui folder fixed the issue. I have been updated to 4.8.5.0.

• Like 1

jaycedk

NIce 👍 Cheers m8.

• Like 1