Emby Server on Raspberry PI 4b 4gb

juro1971

juro1971

Hi all,

I just bought my first Raspberry PI. Main use case is to install and run PI Hole. Of course I would likte to be flexible. Future projects can be to install and run Openmediavault as a NAS and of course EMBY server.

I just moved my 8 GB USB 3 Harddrive from the Fritzbox to my main Media client which is a NVIDIA Shield 2019. The hard drive is mounted as a Network drive. So I can access all media file over the network to stream media to other client like FiretTVtick 4k. As client software I run Kodi.

Years ago I bought a lifetime licences of emby and tried to run emby server on the shield . Performance and overall handling were not off enough. To make it short I would like to reactivate emby and install this on the Raspberry PI 4b.

Can you recommend a good installation guide.

How can I realize my plans best?

Thanks!

JuRo

juro1971

Hi Luke,

I set up the PI already with the Standard PI OS. PI Hole is already running there ...

I think this one.

Is there no possibility to get up and run this on this OS?

Thanks!

Raspberry Pi OS with desktop

• Release date: March 15th 2024
  • System: 64-bit
  • Kernel version: 6.6
  • Debian version: 12 (bookworm)
  • Size: 1,105MB

Show SHA256 file integrity hash:

Release notes

juro1971

I found this one now, this should be the right one?!

image.thumb.png.bbe4c836b739d089f419b0d3c02271a6.png

juro1971

Hi I download the package and it could not be installed.

Then I tried this one

Debian Armv7 (armhf)
  1. Download emby-server-deb_4.8.5.0_armhf.deb
  2. dpkg -i emby-server-deb_4.8.5.0_armhf.deb
  3. Open a web browser to http://localhost:8096

The installation with ssh "dpkg -i emby-server-deb_4.8.5.0_armhf.deb" did not function, so I installed via the PI GUI.

But I think this one is the right package: emby-server-deb_4.8.5.0_arm64.deb

So I would like to remove /purge this package emby-server-deb_4.8.5.0_armhf.deb first

Ho can I do this via the GUI or SSH?

Thanks!

JuRo

juro1971

Hey Luke, thanks for asking. Made a lot of experience in my first raspberry week. Yes emby is up and running on a dietpi os. Unfortunately the handling of usb drives in Linux based os system does not fit my requirements. I want to switch on and off my external 3.5" hard drive on demand. Here you have to mount and unmount drives. This has nothing to do with emby. On windows and even on Nvidia shield that's no problem at all. Maybe I will try on the shield again. But with Android TV 11 came so many restrictions. E.g autostart of emby server would not be possible out of the box.

As clients I use Kodi. Plan was to test emby for Kodi next gen. File bases media administration as in the past. In KODi Addons are available for all streaming platforms and you can even integrate them in the library. This is a must have for me. With emby and Kodi I will realise my dream of a central media DB and rich media client.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Daniel8192

Hi @juro1971

May I toss in a different installation for you?

But first the USB drive.  Raspberry PI OS full install auto mounts USB drives, so you can pop out and in drives without issuing a mount, but for safety you should issue a umount before disconnecting to ensure the file system is in a known state.

I actually don't ever run the full OS, I only run Lite as I have no need for a desktop or mult-media support as I run headless, no monitor, no keyboard, no mice. ever.  no, not even during setup.

All of my PIs get a Lite Install, then I install docker/docker compose.

My Emby runs as a container.

So I have a folder on the host with all of the config files, and other folders for the media files.  These are mounted onto file points within the Emby container when it starts.

Installing the latest Emby container image is simply:

docker-compose pull emby

starting up and shutting down simply:

docker-compose up -d

docker-compose down

From a fresh instance of the Raspberry Pi OS:

# make sure all up to date
ssh youruser@your machine
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get -y upgrade

# make the container data folder
sudo mkdir /mnt/emby
sudo mkdir /mnt/media
sudo chown 1000:1000 /mnt/emby
sudo chown 1000:1000 /mnt/media

# instal Docker
sudo curl -fsSL https://get.docker.com -o get-docker.sh
sudo sh get-docker.sh
sudo rm get-docker.sh
sudo usermod -aG docker 1000
#exit, then log back in and ensure user 1000 can run:
exit
ssh youruser@your machine
docker version

# install stand alone docker-compose
sudo curl -SL https://github.com/docker/compose/releases/download/v2.27.0/docker-compose-linux-aarch64 -o /usr/local/bin/docker-compose
sudo chmod +x /usr/local/bin/docker-compose
sudo systemctl enable docker

# do a network speed test
docker run --rm robinmanuelthiel/speedtest:latest

Here is what your docker-compose file would look like:

services:
  emby:
    image: emby/embyserver_arm64v8
    container_name: emby
    network_mode: host
    #network_mode: "service:gluetun"
    environment:
      - UID=1000
      - GID=1000
      - TZ=America/Toronto
    volumes:
      - /mnt/emby:/config
      - /mnt/media/television:/tvshows
      - /mnt/media/movies:/movies
      - /mnt/media/recordings:/recordings
    restart: unless-stopped

If you also want to run Emby through a VPN like Nord to ensure privacy on streaming some channels.. then into that docker-compose file you can include the below and change the network_mode line above:

gluetun:
    image: qmcgaw/gluetun
    container_name: gluetun
    cap_add:
      - NET_ADMIN
    network_mode: host
    environment:
      - VPN_SERVICE_PROVIDER=nordvpn
      - VPN_TYPE=openvpn # or wireguard
      - OPENVPN_USER=a_secret
      - OPENVPN_PASSWORD=another_secrret
      - SERVER_COUNTRIES=Canada # or somewhere else
    restart: unless-stopped

To load up the config folder, you can start Emby with the /mnt/emby folder empty and it will create all configs fresh, you can then set up as required. There really isn't that much.  after starting the container once, shut it down and copy over an existing config into the appropriate (and freshly made) folders.

Note that from Emby's perspective, your data folders are all in the container's  /.

Containers are really the way to go, it simplifies everything you do on a Linux (or other) box.  And backing up is simply backing up your docker-compose.yml file and your /mnt folder (or other path, some guys use /opt/ of /home/ and if you use docker volumes (I don't) they are in /var/lib/docker/volume.

Hope this helps

Daniel

Edited by Daniel8192