Not clearing temp folder and not releasing tuners

tilani

tilani

Hello everyone,

I’ve had emby for years and have struggled with this problem since implementing the live tv functionality. I have a host of devices accessing emby (Rokus, Apple TVs, shields) and for some reason emby does not clear the temp folder after a user exits the app.  I have confirmed a complete stop of the stream and exiting of the app on at least the Apple TV does not result in the deletion of the temp transcode file, so I don’t think it’s related to the way users exit the app.  This forces me to have to restart the computer (emby restart still doesn’t clear the folder) which I really can only do if I am home.

recently, I’ve noticed that emby does not seem to release tuners all of the time either.  I’ve had two incidents of “no tuners available” in the last week where a restart of the server corrected the problem.  

thoughts?

live tv provided through 2xhdhomerun primes

sa2000
14 hours ago, tilani said:

This forces me to have to restart the computer (emby restart still doesn’t clear the folder)

This would be an area for the devs to look into. I would expect a fresh server launch to purge any left over transcoder temp files from previous sessions before the shutdown/exit.

Does this only happen with DVR Live TV ? Are you able to reproduce easily with debug logging enabled and transcoder temp directory listings during streaming and then later on after stopping streaming and restarting the server - together with the server logs

15 hours ago, tilani said:

recently, I’ve noticed that emby does not seem to release tuners all of the time either.  I’ve had two incidents of “no tuners available” in the last week where a restart of the server corrected the problem.  

Would need to capture logs for when this arises - and probably again would need debug logging enabled and details of which devices streaming from the tuners

BillOatman
Posted (edited)
On 4/28/2024 at 8:33 PM, tilani said:

thoughts?

live tv provided through 2xhdhomerun primes

I have noticed, seemingly more with the latest release but can't say for sure, that if clients don't exit nicely out of Emby (for example hit the home page button), Emby will hold on to the connection for quite some time.  In your case that would likely make tuners unavailable.  

Edited by BillOatman

pepinacosplus

I think this issue can be easily adressed by adding a option to force emby or ffmpeg to stop the stream and clear temp folder if it is more than 3 hours long (for example) or a custom time.