How do I allow multi users to be saved on Shield TV when on a VLAN ?

vaise
Go to solution Solved by Q-Droid,

vaise

This is all fine when my NVidia shield is on the same network as the emby server - all profiles are shown and can be switched between all logged in users.

The IOS emby is also fine to add multiple users when it is on the vlan (as it always is)

Once the NVidia shield is changed to be on a VLAN, this no longer works.

For this config, the main lan is 192.168.1.x and the home lan (with all media devices/iphones etc etc) is 10.10.20.x

The firewall allows the TV's IP address to communicate to the embt server - and this works fine for one user only.

I wish to move my TV's to the VLAN based on reports of chinese TV's doing stuff to local LAN's. 

Procedure to detail this issue :

Change nvidia Shield wifi to be on the vlan.

Start up emby - emby server cant be found (expected as broadcast cant work over vlans).

Click skip for manual setup, then enter the IP address of the emby server (192.168.1.201).

Click manual login, and enter the user and password - you are logged in fine. 

click Settings, startup, Remember last user.

Exit and re-enter emby and you are straight in..... works every time - but no you want to add all the other users as this is a media room TV with multiple users

So now what ?  Clicking on the username shows only three options - Switch Server, Sign Out and Unlock App.

Signout is no good as the main user out and would need to log in again.

Switch Server allows me to just click on the same server, or enter an IP for a different one.

How do I add the other users to this media TV like this ?

• Solution
Q-Droid

Have you tried something like this?

image.png.39d2ac61984eaca3f9b24a9864da93a6.png

• Thanks 1

vaise

That's only for bandwidth enforcement - and the playback as a user on that is not restricted, so it is deemed a local device (all my remotes are limited to 6Mbps and can be seen in the logs).  According to those instructions in the description there, those IP's are included (10.0.0.0/8, 192.168.0.0/24) - but regardless, this should have no impact on the new password requirement thing as local and remote have the same authorisations now..

Also - something more to add - this also affects CCwGTV devices - same thing - cant add a user.

Q-Droid

I think it also controls how the web login page and the app login screens are presented to the clients - hiding vs showing all users as long as they're allowed to be shown in the server user setup. The authentication part of it was removed but all other features tied to LAN vs. WAN should remain. Apparently those changes touched many things internally.

You might've also discovered a bug.

22 minutes ago, vaise said:

According to those instructions in the description there, those IP's are included (10.0.0.0/8, 192.168.0.0/24)

I wouldn't trust the instructions for this 100%. Over the years they've had their quirks.

Q-Droid

Question: If you change the startup screen option on the Shield app to the Login Screen does it still not show any other users for that server? I mean after connecting and logging in with the first user.

Edited by Q-Droid

rbjtech

Are you sure it's not related to the user accounts for those users ? - as they would not have logged into that device before ?

image.png.bcb306bb3579273e3327f04c35e97c70.png

I run isolated media vlan's and on devices that are not directly on that vlan (ie routed via a fw) I don't have any issues remote or lan ..

Edited by rbjtech

vaise
6 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Are you sure it's not related to the user accounts for those users ? - as they would not have logged into that device before ?

image.png.bcb306bb3579273e3327f04c35e97c70.png

I run isolated media vlan's and on devices that are not directly on that vlan (ie routed via a fw) I don't have any issues remote or lan ..

I dont have that hode from devices set for anyone. 

vaise
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Q-Droid said:

Have you tried something like this?

image.png.39d2ac61984eaca3f9b24a9864da93a6.png

OK - Just woke up to these replies and I turned on the IP addresses as stated above, and I also restated emby.

I also turned on the show logon screen after I logged on.

And.............. Its now working as I expect.  

I am sure I tried the logon screen before however so I think you are right and those IP addresses are required...... I had them there ages back but based on the description, I removed them.

Thanks Qdroid.

@Luke, can you update this description as to what it actually does ?

Edited by seanbuff
fixed mention

6 hours ago, vaise said:

OK - Just woke up to these replies and I turned on the IP addresses as stated above, and I also restated emby.

I also turned on the show logon screen after I logged on.

And.............. Its now working as I expect.  

I am sure I tried the logon screen before however so I think you are right and those IP addresses are required...... I had them there ages back but based on the description, I removed them.

Thanks Qdroid.

@Luke, can you update this description as to what it actually does ?

I think it is clear except that the help text makes it sound like it is only used for bandwidth restrictions. But in fact that is just example and it will come into play anytime any given feature has varying behavior on whether a connection is inside the local network or not.

vaise
45 minutes ago, Luke said:

I think it is clear except that the help text makes it sound like it is only used for bandwidth restrictions. But in fact that is just example and it will come into play anytime any given feature has varying behavior on whether a connection is inside the local network or not.

Personally, I think the help text makes you think that you dont have to do anything, as your Ip addresses fall into what it is 'defaulting'.

• Agree 2

Q-Droid

It's been brought up before that those CIDR examples need to be corrected to better reflect the private address space. But we don't know what is actually used behind the scenes.

10.0.0.0/8 (255.0.0.0)    
172.16.0.0/12 (255.240.0.0)    
192.168.0.0/16 (255.255.0.0)    

Since most systems are running dual IP stacks out of the box I also include the IPv6 link local subnet in my LAN networks field. I've had unexpected login behavior on LAN before.

fe80::/64

rbjtech
22 minutes ago, Q-Droid said:

It's been brought up before that those CIDR examples need to be corrected to better reflect the private address space. But we don't know what is actually used behind the scenes.

10.0.0.0/8 (255.0.0.0)    
172.16.0.0/12 (255.240.0.0)    
192.168.0.0/16 (255.255.0.0)    

Since most systems are running dual IP stacks out of the box I also include the IPv6 link local subnet in my LAN networks field. I've had unexpected login behavior on LAN before.

fe80::/64

So are we saying that by leaving it blank, the default RFC1918 address space is still not correct ?   This has been brought up so many times... :( .. it's not like it's something that is unclear - I guess it's only been a standard since Feb 1996.. 🤔 rfc1918

I've just doubled checked, and since my original emby install, I explicitely put each of my vlan subnets in here - so maybe that is why I have never had any issues ...

• Agree 1

vaise

I always included mine too, then one day I read it and realised it does not seem like I need to as the ‘default’ includes mine - so I removed them.  

And no issues seen - I guess cos at that time these TV’s were on the main lan then with the emby server.

It does need updating and clarifying.

• Agree 1