Please update the Emby for Apple TV app

markyskus

markyskus

Hi
There is a lot of problem with Emby for Apple TV app.

Missing ABC list in the library side for fast search.

Sometimes the app doesn't load the full library, I have got 1000+ movie in my library, yesterday I'm searching for Moana (in my language it called Vaiana) and the app only shows movies from 0 to L, closing the app then reopen solved this issue, but thats not a long time solution.

Sorry for said that, but I hate the new login method, I have got little kids and for them is too complicated if last time I watched something (changing user) the old method after app opening shows the users, then they choose the correct user and watch what they want

• Like 1

smoon

Hello

I want to highlight two iussues whith the actual App (1.8.8) for Apple TV:

5 hours ago, markyskus said:

Missing ABC list in the library side for fast search.

This one is somewhat annoying as you cannot jump to a specific letter within your library if you are looking for a special movie or series I want to watch. Just so, I have more than 3400 Titles in my Anime library and it is really annoying to scroll forever to get to a specific letter.

Please be so kind and add the letter secionts on the left or right side to make it easier to jump within a library!

5 hours ago, markyskus said:

Sometimes the app doesn't load the full library

Well, this one is really annoying! This happens always when I sort the library i.E. with "Premiered" or "Added on" or "Last added episode". The app does not show ALL titles within a library, mostly only 1/4 of the titles. Thats not good and should be changed asap.

Also there are some things for the settings which are missing:

Please add the setting to change how many seconds you want to jump forward or backwards wenn scrolling while playing. At the moment you can jump only 10 seconds forward or backwards. This should be possible to change within the settings.

smoon

• Like 2

bakes82
13 hours ago, smoon said:

Please be so kind and add the letter secionts on the left or right side to make it easier to jump within a library!

18 hours ago, markyskus said:

I think it appears like after you start scrolling down iirc.  But yes the appletv app is worthless doesn’t support Dolby vision either.

markyskus
Posted (edited)

no, only if I push and hold the down button, some dot appers in the side, where the ABC could be, but if is release the button disappears again

Edited by markyskus

chrish4rrison@gmail.com

Strangely the iPadOS version works really well on Apple TV when side loaded. Problem is it only works for 7 days then apple remove it, unless you have a paid developer account. Can we not just get the iPadOS version to replace TvOS? It’s the same on Android as well. Android version works far better on Android TV compared to the Android TV version…

markyskus

maybe, I'm not an apple expert to make it

now I'm switched back to Plex, waiting for the Emby for tv update

On 4/27/2024 at 1:26 PM, chrish4rrison@gmail.com said:

Strangely the iPadOS version works really well on Apple TV when side loaded. Problem is it only works for 7 days then apple remove it, unless you have a paid developer account. Can we not just get the iPadOS version to replace TvOS? It’s the same on Android as well. Android version works far better on Android TV compared to the Android TV version…

Hi, are you saying you're able to run our iPad app on your Apple TV?

On 4/27/2024 at 1:33 PM, markyskus said:

maybe, I'm not an apple expert to make it

now I'm switched back to Plex, waiting for the Emby for tv update

Hi, don't you want a personal media server and not one that puts your information into the cloud?

Luke, that's a point for Emby, but at this time the Emby for tv app is not good enough, not loading every item from the library while browsing 7 times out of 10, only show 0-F or 0-L, the ABC for fast search is really missing.

I love Emby, its beautiful, but one point for Plex is loads for everything 10 times out of 10

but one point for Emby is, Plex with Apple TV (last generation with ethernet) couldn't play dolby vision mp4 files directly

chrish4rrison@gmail.com
15 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, are you saying you're able to run our iPad app on your Apple TV?

Hi Luke,

I was able to by sideloading as a developer and removing device restrictions in Sideloadly.

But as a basic developer, it only lasted 7 days.

Cheers

On 4/30/2024 at 4:33 PM, Luke said:

Hi, don't you want a personal media server and not one that puts your information into the cloud?

@LukeKinda love that you said this.  My wife has been encouraging me to finally drop it for over a year... but the AppleTV app is the final piece of that puzzle.  I got premier the day I started exploring Emby as an option as I knew it would eventually become our media server.  Other things about the app I can absolutely deal with, as I know you all are working constantly to improve it... and OMG the product has come such a long way since I started 2 years ago, but the user app switching on AppleTV is where we get lost.  We have... some... content... that I don't necessarily want my kids to go exploring in.  My Living Room TV is shared and I absolutely cannot for the life of me remember to force close the app when I rarely get the chance to use the TV. The other stuff like alpha pickers and lyric support are like to haves, but not deal breakers in my house.  Just the user switching.  I think you all have done a great job with mpv and the UX of the Apple TV.  Every release I cross my fingers for user switching. :D

On a side note... hiding content from the home screen is a nice to have as well ;) 

markyskus

yeah, eomby is pretty good looking, but has got some things that makes it unusable on some hardware

- login method is too difficult for younger or older users 
- missing ABC sidebar in Emby for (Apple) TV app
- not loading every content every time on apple tv

- movie version handle is look really better than Plex, but difficult to choose between the versions, if the user know about it (and if I setting up the versions not grouped together, its harder, because nothing tag/mark/anything show me which is which

-on Apple TV, the subtitles are too small, and can't change the size

but on the other hand

- emby can handle automatically the content sharing if you have only 1-1 library

- can play dovi mp4 on apple tv

- cloudless (but Plex can be too if I switched of the remote play and can be self hosted too like emby)

smoon

I don´t think it is necessary to discuss about wether to use emby or plex in this thread.

Just to get this summarized, it would be cool if the following features/bugs could be recognized within a future update for the apple tv app:

• Add the Character Column on the left/right side while scrolling through a media library
  • Add the support for playing the tv-themes/movie-themes in the background

• Fix: When sorting by specific options (last added, premiered on, last added episode) not ALL items within a library are being shown

That would be all I think which was discussed in this thread.

@Lukemaybe there is a specific location where I can place these requests/bugs? If yes, please let me know and I´ll do so.