slow transcode with subtitles burn in

TeamB

TeamB

I am not even sure where to put this so will just add it to the general area.

I have a movie with subs that Emby is trying to burn in, not an issue really as the machine should be able to handle this ok, but for this file it is having issues.

The movie transcodes at 24 fps which is just not fast enough to watch, it pauses every now and then to catch up, wife = not happy

Ok so its having issues fine, its probably CPU/IO/MEM bound and it's just a performance issue with my machine you say, However if I grab the ffmpeg command being run from the ffmpeg log file and run it on the machine manually it transcode the file at about 105 fps or about x4 times the speed.

I have attached the ffmpeg log for the transocde. I don't actually expect this is an Emby issue as I have said if I run the exact command from the ffmpeg log it runs fast.

Has anyone seen this sort of thing before.

subs

Title(Default EIA_608)
Embedded TitleClosed Captions 1
CodecEIA_608
DefaultYes
ForcedNo
Hearing ImpairedNo
ExternalNo

ffmpeg-transcode-2235fe24-a940-4713-9b39-d0ffefe91517_1.zip

Lessaj

Hm these are closed captions. Closed captions are strange in their handling in that they don't appear as a separate track, it's part of the video track from my understanding. I see this is an mp4 but even if it was an mkv it still wouldn't show up as its own track. The only way I've found to be able to remove them is using ffmpeg, but I also don't see why running the same command manually would be fast, especially with no throttling enabled.

Do you have any other files with closed captions like this? Do they also behave in the same way?

GrimReaper
9 hours ago, TeamB said:

I am not even sure where to put this so will just add it to the general area.

I have a movie with subs that Emby is trying to burn in, not an issue really as the machine should be able to handle this ok, but for this file it is having issues.

The movie transcodes at 24 fps which is just not fast enough to watch, it pauses every now and then to catch up, wife = not happy

Ok so its having issues fine, its probably CPU/IO/MEM bound and it's just a performance issue with my machine you say, However if I grab the ffmpeg command being run from the ffmpeg log file and run it on the machine manually it transcode the file at about 105 fps or about x4 times the speed.

I have attached the ffmpeg log for the transocde. I don't actually expect this is an Emby issue as I have said if I run the exact command from the ffmpeg log it runs fast.

Has anyone seen this sort of thing before.

subs

Title(Default EIA_608)
Embedded TitleClosed Captions 1
CodecEIA_608
DefaultYes
ForcedNo
Hearing ImpairedNo
ExternalNo

ffmpeg-transcode-2235fe24-a940-4713-9b39-d0ffefe91517_1.zip 33.74 kB · 1 download

>>>>>>  FindVideoEncoder - MediaType: h264, UseHardwareCodecs: True, HWA-Mode: Automatic
Info    Checking: 'QuickSync Intel UHD Graphics 770 - H.264 (AVC)'
Info    Check successful - selecting 'QuickSync Intel UHD Graphics 770 - H.264 (AVC)'

>>>>>>  FindVideoDecoder - MediaType: h264, UseHardwareCodecs: True, HWA-Mode: Automatic
Info    Checking: 'QuickSync Intel UHD Graphics 770 - H.264 (AVC)'
Info    Check successful - selecting 'QuickSync Intel UHD Graphics 770 - H.264 (AVC)'

Warning: Hardware-accelerated subtitle-overlay is disabled due to diagnostic option

>>>>>>  Processing Plan
        Name                                        CanDoInHW  WillDoInHW  Reason                                                 
        QuickSync Intel UHD Graphics 770 - H.... >> True       True        Hardware Codec                                          
        VideoInput                               >> True       False       Same adapter Id (0), same hardware context (D3D11)      
        SubtitleBurnIn                           >> False      False                                                               
        VideoOutput                              >> True       True        Hardware encoder                                        
        QuickSync Intel UHD Graphics 770 - H.... >> True       True        Hardware Codec 

Do you have Diagnostics plugin installed? If so, try enabling Hardware Subtitle Overlay (Disabled by default), see how does that compare. Note that any change in Diagnostic options doesn't survive server restart. 

image.thumb.png.6fa60707c92d819c935e5cee4879fd09.png

Edited by GrimReaper