Where is MB server getting movie images from?

Heckler

Heckler

As the subject, because it's not getting them from themoviedb it seems.

A few of my movies seemed rather spares of backdrops, with more than a few simply mirroring the backdrop with the folder poster. So I went looking for some new images to add to the folder... I normally have a minimum of 3 for my movies to allow for some rotation, with some of my faves having upto 10.

But I discovered that the backdrops downloaded by mb server, just didn't exist on themoviedb site.

I looked around, they're not listed under other languages or anything like that...

So where are the images coming from, and is there going to be a way to browse what images you want to download to the movie folder for those of us that like a little more control over what is displayed.

Heckler

Is there a reason for that, the quality of what's available seems to be much lower than themoviedb

steve1977

Is it using fanart.tv as single source for movie art (backdrops, posters, etc.)? No second source like moviedb or imdb is used? If so, would also love to see this as feature request to add more sources for movie art. Thanks!

• Like 1

Is it using fanart.tv as single source for movie art (backdrops, posters, etc.)? No second source like moviedb or imdb is used? If so, would also love to see this as feature request to add more sources for movie art. Thanks!

tmdb is a secondary source and, with the next server release, we will be able to combine backdrops from multiple providers.

• Like 2

and tmdb will go back to being preferred over fanart, but with some checks to make sure we don't get lower resolution images than what we would get from fanart. 

• Like 4

steve1977

tmdb is a secondary source and, with the next server release, we will be able to combine backdrops from multiple providers.

When combining backdrops, can you secure that you dont get duplicates? Unfortunately, most backdrops are identical among the different providers.

No we can't. We have some protection to ensure we don't download the same one twice from the same source, but that's the best we can do. The combining is only going to occur if the primary source doesn't have enough backdrops to reach the max backdrop setting anyway. The primary source for movies is tmdb, followed by fanart.

I've added manual image selections to the list for the next server release, so that will help make editing images a little easier.

• Like 1

steve1977

No we can't. We have some protection to ensure we don't download the same one twice from the same source, but that's the best we can do. The combining is only going to occur if the primary source doesn't have enough backdrops to reach the max backdrop setting anyway. The primary source for movies is tmdb, followed by fanart.

Ok. I always wondered one thing. What happens if new information becomes available? For example, fanart is right now the primary source and may have scraped 3 backdrops. Things change and tmdb becomes the primary source. Will MBS now delete thr originally downloaded 3 backdrops and downlaods 3 new ones from tmdb.

steve1977

I've added manual image selections to the list for the next server release, so that will help make editing images a little easier.

This is fantastic and may answer my previous question. Let me understand whether the behavior below is correct:

1) I can choose one poster and up to three backdrops. All info provided by fanart&tmdb.

2) When I have only 2 backdrops selected (because there were only 2 available back then or for whatever other reason) and I made an automatic upload, MBT will add to this.

3) Assuming I chose posters and backdrop by myself (manual upload), MBT would never delete them, but always keep the current status?

We never auto-delete any of your images. Prior to now we have not been recording where the images come from, but going forward with the new server release we will be. So for now, you may see some backdrops downloaded that you already have, but it shouldn't continue to happen in the future.