Android App on Shield Pro 2019

jkramer

jkramer

I installed the Android version on my Shield unwittingly after a recent factory reset.

1. Has it always been available on Android TV? I see things I like better on it, and other things I'd have to get used to.

2. Is it eventually going to move to 1 app for both platforms? Currently running both side by side.

Hi, what would you have to get used to? We are working on unifying them.

seanbuff
20 minutes ago, jkramer said:

1. Has it always been available on Android TV? I see things I like better on it, and other things I'd have to get used to.

Has been available for Android TV platform for a number of years now. See the Mega Thread and contribute

21 minutes ago, jkramer said:

2. Is it eventually going to move to 1 app for both platforms? Currently running both side by side.

Yes, the plan is to eventually unify the apps.

jkramer
17 minutes ago, seanbuff said:

Has been available for Android TV platform for a number of years now.

Yes, I've had it installed for years now. I'm talking the vanilla Android version running on Android TV.

18 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, what would you have to get used to? We are working on unifying them.

The way the D-Pad works with the on-screen controls, mainly. So used to down-right-right-right etc. to get to subtitles etc. I also can't seem to get the subtitle position as low as I did in the TV version, but that could very well be the type of subtitle I had on the 2 movies I tested. Not sure whether I like the bolder, really white timeline thingamabob either.

On the other hand, I was pleasantly surprised I could control server stuff from the app (it appears, anyhow). It was also nice being able to add movies to collections from the app instead of having to do it from the server.

I wonder how I managed to never install the vanilla Android version before? Was it not visible until recently on the Android TV Play Store I see on my Shield? Admittedly, I never sought it out, just assumed there were separate versions that strictly depended on my platform.

Kyrunner
11 minutes ago, jkramer said:

Yes, I've had it installed for years now. I'm talking the vanilla Android version running on Android TV.

The way the D-Pad works with the on-screen controls, mainly. So used to down-right-right-right etc. to get to subtitles etc. I also can't seem to get the subtitle position as low as I did in the TV version, but that could very well be the type of subtitle I had on the 2 movies I tested. Not sure whether I like the bolder, really white timeline thingamabob either.

On the other hand, I was pleasantly surprised I could control server stuff from the app (it appears, anyhow). It was also nice being able to add movies to collections from the app instead of having to do it from the server.

I wonder how I managed to never install the vanilla Android version before? Was it not visible until recently on the Android TV Play Store I see on my Shield? Admittedly, I never sought it out, just assumed there were separate versions that strictly depended on my platform.

Have you watched a tv show yet? The Android TV app will show a description of the next episode before it starts the new app shows nothing

15 minutes ago, jkramer said:

Try pressing up to get to the subtitle button quicker.

jkramer
2 hours ago, Luke said:

Try pressing up to get to the subtitle button quicker.

Yea, I had found it a few days ago, just years of muscle memory messing with me.

2 hours ago, Kyrunner said:

Have you watched a tv show yet? The Android TV app will show a description of the next episode before it starts the new app shows nothing

I have that turned off, so I'd never notice.