Is 4.8.5.0 stable?

JuJuJurassic

JuJuJurassic

I'm on 4.7.14.0, and  4.8.x.x has been out for a while.

Is it now stable, and safe to upgrade to? version 4.8.5.0?

The plugins I have are virtualTV, bulky, TV theme videos, TV theme songs, Movie theme songs and movie theme videos.

The server is over-specified, so there are lots of resources left over.

Any words of wisdom for me, and others now considering it?

Thanks

Q-Droid

My approach is to not update right away. So from 4.7.x I upgraded to 4.8.3 after it had been out for a couple of weeks and that release has been fine. I can't speak for 4.8.4 or .5 other than to say I will let them sit for a while before considering the update.

It's a normal pattern with Emby stable releases to have a few patch updates immediately after the first release. I might run a test instance to check things out but I still wait until a few weeks pass without an update and there are no major problems discussed in the forums.

Some things to look out for:
- Notifications changed. I had to redo mine.
- Backups changed completely.
- Live TV recording destinations (path selection) changed their look and added a category but function the same.

• Like 1

moviefan

I moved to 4.8.5.0 on my main server and didn't have any issues.  Funny how scared everyone is of updating given previous problems.

• Haha 1

rbjtech
11 hours ago, Q-Droid said:

My approach is to not update right away. So from 4.7.x I upgraded to 4.8.3 after it had been out for a couple of weeks and that release has been fine. I can't speak for 4.8.4 or .5 other than to say I will let them sit for a while before considering the update.

It's a normal pattern with Emby stable releases to have a few patch updates immediately after the first release. I might run a test instance to check things out but I still wait until a few weeks pass without an update and there are no major problems discussed in the forums.

Some things to look out for:
- Notifications changed. I had to redo mine.
- Backups changed completely.
- Live TV recording destinations (path selection) changed their look and added a category but function the same.

Very wise - I do the same and with the benefit of using a Windows Service, I get to choose when it updates.

The recent unwelcome changes that have not been put into Beta first have re-enforced my views that release management, feedback and testing are not one of embys strongpoints .. 🙄

• Agree 1

Q-Droid
4 hours ago, moviefan said:

I moved to 4.8.5.0 on my main server and didn't have any issues.  Funny how scared everyone is of updating given previous problems.

Yeah. I don't really expect problems but releasing updates days apart points to what @rbjtech mentioned and does invite the introduction of problems. Besides, though I haven't been using Emby for that long, only since v3.3.x, there hasn't been an update with something I needed or wanted and couldn't wait for. I do appreciate the improvements but waiting for it to fully bake wasn't a big deal.

• Agree 1

PaulE123
5 hours ago, moviefan said:

I'm normally happy enough to update after a quick check of the forums after a release, but 4.8.x made me hold off for far longer than I usually do, based off of a few common issues people were posting about. 

• Agree 1

Jey2024

[sorry ignore this - wrong post]

Edited by Jey2024
wrong topic
  • Agree 1