Unexplained Stuttering when DirectPlay is used on large files

Dannshu

Dannshu

Hello,

This is a somewhat new issue that began recently on all AppleTV users that are updated to 1.8.7 (unsure if the update is the root cause), whenever a video which has a bit rate of more than 10mbps is played, there is a constant stutter that freezes the screen every 2 seconds for 2-3 seconds. To throw you a curve ball, if the video skips ahead to a point where buffering has not reached yet, the issue is resolved. 

A detailed example is as follows -

1. A video is played.

2. Once the playback starts, immediate stuttering issues are noticed, it could be on a fresh play or a continuation of an existing playback.

3. The video is skipped 20 seconds forward/backwards.

4. The issue is resolved.

I have raised the logging to full verbosity While attempting to troubleshoot but was unable to find any indication of an issue on the server side, I'm attaching verbose logs + a video from the latest play attempt, user 'Levin' is attempting to play the movie 'Tropic Thunder' 

Overall, this is more of a nuisance than a real issue, though I would very much like to resolve this issue, thank you for your time and efforts

embyserver (1).txt

Hi, so this is over a remote connection?

Happy2Play
11 minutes ago, Luke said:

Per that log there is an issue with their detected address correct?  As it is not a Local address.

Dannshu
10 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, sorry, forgot to mention - yes, all the connections are remote.

Also important to note, this behavior is only exhibited on AppleTV devices, I have tried a plethora of other devices which work fine - Samsung Smart TV, LG Smart TV, Windows Web, Emby Theater, Android TV, Firestick etc.

Ok we’ll take a look at it. Thanks for reporting.