Are apps connecting to Emby via Emby Connect secure/encrypted?

NerfHerder

NerfHerder

I've tried to find the answer to this, but I've found conflicting information.

I've seen the pinned post covering SSL setup, but it sounds as though this only pertains to the web app, when connecting to the emby server via the domain that the SSL certificate was purchased for.

Do apps on other platforms, i.e. TV, Android apps etc. using Emby Connect use a secure connection? And if not, how do I go about setting this up?

Previously, it wasn't an issue, as my server was never accessed from outside of my network, but recently, I've given some friends access to it as well, so I'd like to make sure everything is secure.

Hi, the connection from Emby apps to our server for Emby Connect authorization is secure via SSL.

The connection from Emby apps to your personal Emby Server depends on whether or not you've setup SSL on your Emby Server.

pwhodges

SSL is not specific to the web app - it is used by any client as well.

Note that Connect is only used for pointing the client at your server - the streaming does not go through Emby's servers, but direct between the client and your server.  There are topics about setting up SSL directly in Emby or using reverse proxy - nginx, IIS and Caddy are all covered somewhere in the forum.  I recommend Caddy for the inexperienced, as its setup involves the least configuration.

My old post on Caddy is here, a couple of posts down is the main detail:

(I need to do an update - e.g. Caddy v1 is not available now - but I don't think there's anything wrong in there.)

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1