One movie not being displayed

ramseyn
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

ramseyn

Hi

[edited for spelling plus one change]

I have struggled with this and tried everything I can think of...

Emby server 4.8.3.0 (yes I do know there's a 3rd level update...). [edit - have installed the update on second NAS and am running a full scan...]

I have an almost perfect catalogue now, just as I want it EXCEPT for one film. (I'm sure there are more issues but I haven't seen them yet.)

In my media library, in the Movies library I have many sub folders etc. When I get down to Harry Potter, I have a folder for each film, 1 to 8.

The movie files themselves are each in one of those folders, and all is good.

Recently I got the UHD BluRay version of all 8 films. Rather than put them in the existing folders, I created a separate UHD folder under Harry Potter, at the same level as the folders for each of the movies 

In there I put all 8 .mkv rips.

The library scan has picked up the first 7 but stubbornly refuses to show the UHD version of film 8, Deathly Hallows Part 2.

It has created a (sparse) .nfo file but won't show the file in the Movies library 

I've deleted and recreated, scanned libraries multiple times, removed the file then scanned then added the file back and scanned again: still not there 

I have copied the HP 7 .nfo and edited it (it contained almost nothing) to have all the actor info, the IDs in TVDB, IMDb and tmdb correctly replaced  and other detailed info removed (can't directly edit the metadata in Emby as it's not seen). No change.

There is an interesting entry in the logs:

2024-04-21 16:13:14.087 Info Server: http/1.1 Response 204 to host7. Time: 3ms. POST http://192.168.16.40:8096/emby/Items/4/Refresh?Recursive=true&ImageRefreshMode=Default&MetadataRefreshMode=Default&ReplaceAllImages=false&ReplaceAllMetadata=false&X-Emby-Client=Emby Web&X-Emby-Device-Name=Chrome Windows&X-Emby-Device-Id=1a1b0b8b-a745-488a-87d3-a43e3de8e47c&X-Emby-Client-Version=4.8.3.0&X-Emby-Token=x_secret8_x&X-Emby-Language=en-gb

2024-04-21 16:13:14.297 Info App: Removing item from database, Type: Video, Name: Harry Potter 8 The Deathly Hallows: Part 2, Path: /volume1/Public/Media Library/Movies/Fantasy/Harry Potter/UHD/Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2.mkv, Id: 37848

2024-04-21 16:13:14.347 Info App: Deleting path /home/emby/metadata/library/02/023be1603be1954f6d6142697b91eb4e

Not quite sure how to download the logs on my mobile but I will attach from PC if required.

It's clear the item is seen but is deleted.

I have two Asustor NAS with the media folder replicated to the second. With Emby enabled (same version) on the second NAS, it too fails to see, or at least display, that UHD copy of that one film.

Edited by ramseyn
Spelling typos plus update re emby server version on one NAS

Hi there, how are your files named and organized?

ramseyn

Hi Luke.

/Media library/genre/film series (if needed)/film and then the files.

So in this case ...

/Media library/movies/fantasy/harry Potter/deathly hallows part 2/harry Potter 08 the deathly hallows.mkv

for the one that shows up, and

/media library/movies/fantasy/harry Potter/UHD/harry Potter 08 the deathly hallows part 2.mkv

It works for every other film I have, some 300 or more, including harry Potter 1 to 7.

sa2000
4 hours ago, ramseyn said:

So in this case ...

/Media library/movies/fantasy/harry Potter/deathly hallows part 2/harry Potter 08 the deathly hallows.mkv

for the one that shows up, and

/media library/movies/fantasy/harry Potter/UHD/harry Potter 08 the deathly hallows part 2.mkv

Does the problem arise if you strictly follow the naming standards for folders/sub-folders as outlined here https://emby.media/support/articles/Movie-Naming.html

4 hours ago, ramseyn said:

It works for every other film I have, some 300 or more, including harry Potter 1 to 7.

Could you give me the complete list of files/subfolders for Harry Potter 7 (which works) and Harry Potter 8 (which does not)

And is the library definition has this as a folder "/media library/movies/fantasy" or "/media library/movies" ?

ramseyn
Posted (edited)

If you mean strip out all my genres, I haven't tried that for a long time as it was far too cumbersome when Zi couldn't remember the exact title and back then (not that long after Emby got it's current name, when it was just Media Browser) it didn't work that well.

Going back and changing it all now is not on the cards, as it works apart from this one film. A lot of work to get one film in there.

On clients that don't have a good Emby client (like my Samsung TV) it is good to have DLNA as an option and using genres makes that much easier.

Adding years also seems pointless when it works for everything but one film.

The movies library points at media library/movies.

Fantasy/harry Potter is under that 

Below THAT is harry Potter 7 folder and the movie is picked up.

Also under there is harry Potter 8 containing a movie that is also picked up 

Same for all of the movies.

Also under fantasy/harry Potter is a UHD folder (same level as the harry Potter 7 etc) - that contains ALL the UHD versions in that one flat folder, with all the .nfo, .jog etc.

All of those are picked up except harry Potter 8 which is not.

Multiple EDITs: Here is an interesting thing: on my secondary NAS I run a mirror of all this, as I said before. I tried creating a UHD folder under Harry Potter 8, i.e.  media library/fantasy/harry potter/harry potter 8/UHD

In there I copied the Harry Potter 8.mkv from /media library/movies/fantasy/harry potter/UHD (leaving the one in tere).

After scanning, THAT UHD Harry Potter 8 does show up.

It appears that I could work around by adding separate UHD folders under every harry potter film folder and putting the UHD versions in those. However that does not explain why 7 of 8 are picked up in the current location, or in fact all 8 are picked up and the 8th is then deleted from the database as the log entry shows.

Edited by ramseyn

ramseyn

And here is an even stranger thing!

I added the newly found one (.../harry potter 8/uhd/harry potter 8 [UHD version] to the collection.

The collection shows it - but also shows a VIDEO as well as the MOVIE.

The metadata says they are both the same file in the same path, the video of course has no metadata for IMDB tags etc and does not show the correct image.

image.thumb.png.965618ffa814b336aeed7f884da0ada7.png

sa2000
On 21/04/2024 at 17:38, ramseyn said:

Recently I got the UHD BluRay version of all 8 films. Rather than put them in the existing folders, I created a separate UHD folder under Harry Potter, at the same level as the folders for each of the movies 

In there I put all 8 .mkv rips.

The library scan has picked up the first 7 but stubbornly refuses to show the UHD version of film 8, Deathly Hallows Part 2.

I have reproduced this with the following library setup

Media\Movies4\Fantasy\Harry Potter\7 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1\Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1.mkv
Media\Movies4\Fantasy\Harry Potter\8 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2\Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2.mkv

Media\Movies4\Fantasy\Harry Potter\UHD\Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1.mkv
Media\Movies4\Fantasy\Harry Potter\UHD\Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2.mkv

When viewing by folder and selecting the UHD folder, the Part 1 movie shows there is an additional part.

The reason this arises is because you have two media items in the same folder (UHD) named as being parts 1 and 2 and thus being treated as a multi-part item.

See Movie Naming | Emby Documentation and specifically the section covering "file stacking"

So if the titles of the movies are the same except for having "Part 1" and "Part 2" suffixes, then they must be in separate folders, otherwise they would be treated as one multi-part movie.

Edited by sa2000
clarify the filenaming
  • Thanks 1

ramseyn

Oh well done Sir! 

Thank you so much for the explanation. I should have thought of the 2-part thing of course but it completely escaped me.

Thanks so much!

• Thanks 1

• Solution
Happy2Play
Posted (edited)

Have not retested but above sounds correct to a point.  I have no issue here as I add Year to naming scheme.

\Harry Potter Collection\Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1 (2010)\Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1 (2010).mp4

\Harry Potter Collection\Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2 (2011)\Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2 (2011).mp4

But yes stacking variable may apply when not using year when it comes to media with Part X in titles.

as the OP naming above is identical so stacking happens

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

On 4/23/2024 at 6:52 AM, ramseyn said:

Oh well done Sir! 

Thank you so much for the explanation. I should have thought of the 2-part thing of course but it completely escaped me.

Thanks so much!

Have your questions been answered?