Unauthenticated access to images by itemid

Clackdor

Clackdor

This was brought to my attention by a post on Reddit in r/selfhosted just a few hours ago. It seems images are available by the itemid even when unauthenticated. The OP claims to have attempted to contact the emby team regarding this and a few other issues with no response.

I'm making this post to raise awareness as not everyone who frequents these forums will have seen the post on Reddit, and as it is posted publicly elsewhere it definitely deserves attention on the main forum.

This is very troubling as it means that content that's available on the server can be determined without being logged in. Even more troubling if you're using emby for family pictures and videos as the pictures themselves can be viewed, and the thumbnail for videos can be viewed as well.

I have tested this myself and can verify that it is a major problem. I could see cover art for movies, as well as pictures from my family photos library without being logged in. It seems that itemid's are incremental, so it's arbitrary to just guess a value until you get a valid hit. 

Leaking what movies and shows are on a server is definitely not great, but leaking actual personal content is just unacceptable in my opinion. Until something is done to address this I would not recommend using emby for personal/sensitive content if your server is publicly exposed. 

Steps to reproduce below.

Replace <itemid> with the numerical value of a library item to test it while not logged in.

https://<hostname:port>/emby/Items/<itemId>/Images/Primary 

• Thanks 1

Hi, yes we do plan to address this. Thanks for reporting.

• Thanks 2

Tigga5

That's not surprising, and it's probably not just images. There are known issues with at least the Roku and Android apps that make it trivial to bypass authentication and watch anything within a library that should be restricted. Those were reported months ago and still present in the current stable versions. It would be nice if emby actually took user permissions more seriously. 

8 minutes ago, Tigga5 said:

There are known issues with at least the Roku and Android apps that make it trivial to bypass authentication

Hi.  I don't believe this is true.  You cannot bypass actual authentication.

Tigga5
Just now, ebr said:

Hi.  I don't believe this is true.  You cannot bypass actual authentication.

So you don't count being able to search for and watch anything you want without having to login as bypassing authentication? You can't be serious... 

1 minute ago, Tigga5 said:

without having to login

That part is not true.  The device must be authenticated before that would ever be possible.

Tigga5

Yea, you have to sign in once, but after the initial setup you can logout and then anyone else can skip the login screen and search for whatever they want. Yet for some reason emby clearly doesn't think this is a problem... 

3 minutes ago, Tigga5 said:

you can logout and then anyone else can skip the login screen

Again, that is not correct.  If you logout then re-authentication is required.

There is a BIG difference between the optional Profile PIN (designed for parental control) and actual authentication.  None of the end points  you mentioned will work without a valid authentication token which is acquired via login with proper credentials.

Tigga5
Just now, ebr said:

Again, that is not correct.  If you logout then re-authentication is required.

There is a BIG difference between the optional Profile PIN (designed for parental control) and actual authentication.  None of the end points  you mentioned will work without a valid authentication token which is acquired via login with proper credentials.

I'm sorry, but that's complete BS. Whether I login with a password, PIN, or whatever it should be secure. My kids should not be able to access content from my libraries without logging into my account. This really shouldn't be a difficult concept.

5 minutes ago, Tigga5 said:

I'm sorry, but that's complete BS. Whether I login with a password, PIN, or whatever it should be secure. My kids should not be able to access content from my libraries without logging into my account. This really shouldn't be a difficult concept.

There is a HUGE difference from your kids potentially finding something you don't want them to and someone outside your network gaining access without authentication.  BTW the update to the Roku app for this is in Roku's hands and will be out this week.

pünktchen

I already reported about the image problem 4 years ago: 

• Like 1

Tigga5
2 minutes ago, ebr said:

There is a HUGE difference from your kids potentially finding something you don't want them to and someone outside your network gaining access without authentication. 

Ok. Thanks for confirming that you don't take local account security seriously, I guess.

BTW the update to the Roku app for this is in Roku's hands and will be out this week.

Hopefully it's actually fixed this time considering you already claimed it was fixed once before and clearly didn't pay much attention to the original reports.

1 minute ago, Tigga5 said:

Ok. Thanks for confirming that you don't take local account security seriously, I guess

The same thing applies to local accounts.  They MUST be authenticated.  There is a difference between security/authentication and parental controls.

Tigga5
17 minutes ago, ebr said:

The same thing applies to local accounts.  They MUST be authenticated.  There is a difference between security/authentication and parental controls.

My mistake. I'll fix my quote then.

Ok. Thanks for confirming that you don't take parental controls seriously, I guess

Though I would still make the argument that if a PIN allows you to access your account, then that's still part of account security and authentication. You're really just arguing semantics at this point.

Edited by Tigga5

neik

I'm really sorry but offering camera upload and having them exposed by this vulnerability (for years now!) is simply ridiculous.

People should be informed when activating the camera upload functionality or even better, get this fixed eventually!

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, Tigga5 said:

Though I would still make the argument that if a PIN allows you to access your account,

It only allows access to an already authenticated account.