Not passing AAC audio correctly to AVR

Scott310

Scott310

Hey guys. I'm using a Fire Cube Gen3. I have an older Yamaha AVR that is overdue for an upgrade. At the moment I am using an HDMI to optical audio extractor and it works great as the AVR doesn't have HDMI-in ports. All apps on the fire cube work fine in getting surround in Dolby Digital. However on the android emby app it works for most formats except AAC. It passes through DTS and Dolby Digital if it's AC3. But anything AAC just comes through as stereo. On the original fire TV app I had the same issue but I was able to fix it by checking the box "Convert unsupported audio to Dolby Digital".  

Is there any way I can fix this or can we add that check box to the android version? 

Thanks!!

7 hours ago, Scott310 said:

But anything AAC just comes through as stereo

I believe that is all that an optical connection can support.  The other formats are compressed and not expanded until they get to your AVR.

Scott310
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, ebr said:

I believe that is all that an optical connection can support.  The other formats are compressed and not expanded until they get to your AVR.

It did however always work before with an optical connection to an Xbox in the AAC format using emby theater. I'm sure it's just a limitation somehow of the audio extractor but the "convert unsupported audio to Dolby Digital" was able to fix that for me. However it isn't an option in the android UI. Is there possibly a workaround for this or can I request that the feature is added? Maybe I will just have to break the bank and finally upgrade the AVR.

I had to use the audio extractor because I upgraded the Xbox to a series X which no longer has the optical audio output. I also added the fire cube gen 3 which of course does not have one either. 

Edit:

Would it be easier to just do a batch convert of a large portion of my files and convert AAC to AC3?

Edited by Scott310