Movie freezes every 30 seconds or so.

jriecken
Go to solution Solved by Lessaj,

jriecken

Hello Everyone,

Recently playback for some of my movies freeze every few seconds.  It has worked fine for years until recently.  I have three 10TB Hard Drives and I have found two of the drives contain all of the movies that freeze.  All of the movies on the other drive works fine.  I did try to move a movie for the problem drives to a new drive but it still freezes.  I thought maybe the drives were dying.  Any ideas on this?  I have attached a log from today, 4/16/2024 the movies having issues try to play was Knocked Up.

Thanks for the help!

Jake

ffmpeg-remux-df98ceb4-4577-4fd0-9858-a97461db3f40_1.txt embyserver.txt

• Solution
Lessaj
Posted (edited)

It looks like it started with direct play and then switched to transcoding because of a direct play error. The transcoding is happening fast enough but each of the chunk delivery times are really high, 8-12 seconds, each each chunk should only have 3 seconds worth in it. It looks like it's a firestick so more than likely it's on wifi. Is your wifi slow? Does rebooting the device help? Can you sideload the standard android app to compare? Looks like the birate of the file is 13 Mbit, how does that compare to the other files you said play fine?

Edited by Lessaj
  • Like 1

jriecken

Thanks for your reply Lessaj.  I have tried opening it with VLC through Emby but it does the same thing.  The weird thing is that all the movies on 2 drives do it but my newest drive with movies have no issues at all.  But if I try to move one of the files from the 2 drives having the issue to the drive that doesn't have issues it follows the file. I would think wifi too, but I have used it for years without issues and nothing has changed and that 1 drive has no issues.  The only thing I can think of is that something happened and to the 2 drives and corrupted the files?

Lessaj

I'm not sure this is a fair comparison, that file is HEVC and it looks like it's transcoding at 4 Mbit maybe so 3x lower birate than the other file, which was basically being remuxed just to convert DTS to AC3 which is not a very heavy operation, otherwise it's playing the video at the full resolution and bitrate. With HEVC to h264 conversion the bit rate goes up. It appears to be reading the file from the drive just fine because the speed of the remux (h264) and the speed of transcode (hevc) is plenty fast even though you're using a software encoder for HEVC it's still faster than the media play rate (1.4-1.6x). It has to create ts files to deliver to the client which it stores in the transcoding temp folder on your C drive (which I assume is an SSD) so I also doubt there's a bottle neck there. There are still some long durations on some of the ts requests but it does speed up a bit later on.

What about if you play this in a web browser? That should still require transcodes to occur, but if the desktop is wired (or at the very least faster than a firestick) the ts chunk deliver times may be faster.

Edited by Lessaj
  • Thanks 1

jriecken

Thanks for the Help!  I rechecked my Deco Mesh config and found the QoS settings had been changed to 10Mbps down and 5Mbps Up.  Bumped it up and it has resolved the issue.  Not sure how it was changed but that did the trick!  I appreciate it Lessaj!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1