Problem with accented characters inside .m3u playlists...

freemansteve

freemansteve

Hi,
I have been testing Emby 4.8.3. (Portable version on Windows 10, and Linux version for Synology on DSM 7.2.x on a DS423+ unit)...

Apart from the blurred cover art I reported elsewhere, I noticed a number *.m3u playlist were not recognized or usable by Emby on both platforms.

After a bit of examination, I realized I can narrow it down to "é" characters within my playlists (possibly other accented characters too), so I made a test folder on my windows desktop, consisting of two folders, one being "Ali Farka Toure" and a second being "Ali Farka Touré"  (note the accent). Each of these folders includes one MP3 and a "Folder.jpg" file. There is also a third file called "Playlists" which contains two .m3u playlists - "Ali Farka Touré-no accent.m3u" and "Ali Farka Touré-with accent.m3u". The only difference between the .m3u files is that one references the track in the "Ali Farka Toure" folder, and the other references the track in the "Ali Farka Touré" folder (again, note the accent).

Both playlists run perfectly when used with Foobar2000 & VLC, running on my PC. On my Synology unit, I am also running the basic Synology Media Server alongside Emby, and it references the -exact same-  music files and playlists as Emby does but will play back to any client every playlist perfectly - so it does not look like a simple Windows v. Linux issue.  As I say, I am only running Emby portable on my Windows desktop for narrowing down the problem quickly, but it behaves like the Emby on my NAS for playlist problems.

The problem seems  to come down only to the text in the playlist - accents break the playlists in Emby.  I assume it's some kind of ANSI/UTF problem but I can't figure out how to fix it.

I have tried to include useful stuff in my attachments.

Thanks
Steve

Emby-desktop folders.JPG

Emby-folders.JPG

Emby-playing.JPG

Emby-playlists.JPG

Emby-won't play.JPG

Emby playlists.JPG

embyserver.txt embyserver-63848701633.txt hardware_detection-63848701726.txt Ali Farka Touré-no accent.m3u Ali Farka Touré-with accent.m3u

freemansteve

OK, I have found that all my .m3u playlists are save as "ANSI" files (using a tool call "Playist Creator 3.6.2")

If I open the file in (e.g.) Notepad, and save in UTF-8 format, then a given playlist then seems to work OK in Emby on Windows.

I guess this a bit of documentation I missed with Emby, but since I need to open and save hundreds of playlist files (I'll have to figure out a batch method), can I make it a "feature request"  that Emby reads and uses  .M3U's that are in ANSI?  This is the only DLNA server of several I have tried that doesn't cope with .M3U's that have ANSI encoding....

Hi, we'll take a look at it. Thanks for reporting.

The fix should be in the beta channel soon.

freemansteve

I have just manually loaded the beta:   "emby-server-synology72_4.9.0.14_x86_64.spk"  onto my Synology NAS (DSM 7.2.1-69057 Update 4).

I tested with an ANSI playlist generated in Windows, and can confirm that all accented characters in a test  .m3u file now work fine!

Great job - thanks!

• Thanks 1