Movie naming and articles a, an, & the

chops3246

chops3246

I'm aware of the document for emby movie naming in general (e.g. https://github.com/EmbySupport/Emby.Docs/blob/master/Movie-Naming.md/).

However, I was hoping for a point of clarity on Movie names where an article is the first part of the title (a, an, or the).

Example: I have only about 260 movies and 30 start with "the" but I don't think of "The Terminator" or "The Butterfly Effect". I think "Terminator" or "Butterfly Effect" when browsing my library. 

I had tried swapping the article to the end (they way books might be organized) - like "Terminator, The" or similar. However last time I tried this on a title it was not matched to the proper metadata when I did a metadata refresh or file scan. Just wondering if there's a feature to this kind of organization that I'm missing (as most everything else I can think of related to naming is covered in the emby doc).

Happy2Play

Emby by default already ignores these articles and sorts accordingly. 

<SortRemoveWords>
    <string>the</string>
    <string>a</string>
    <string>an</string>
    <string>das</string>
    <string>der</string>
    <string>el</string>
    <string>la</string>
  </SortRemoveWords>

chops3246
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Emby by default already ignores these articles and sorts accordingly. 

<SortRemoveWords>
    <string>the</string>
    <string>a</string>
    <string>an</string>
    <string>das</string>
    <string>der</string>
    <string>el</string>
    <string>la</string>
  </SortRemoveWords>

OK that's interesting - can you point to where this configuration or documentation is? Is this just in source code for base config or similar?

My question does relate to file names and linking up with proper metadata (without having to tag each movie with a tmdbid or similar).

Edited by chops3246

Happy2Play

It is in the system.xml in the programdata\config folder not documented that I know of there are a few topics out there but by default Emby will ignore these articles and sort accordingly.  Naming/Structure are irrelevant.

Edited by Happy2Play

HI, can you give a full file name example of something that didn't match? Thanks.