SSA/ASS Subtitles Timeline Offset doesn't work on Android TV (Shield)

AshranPewter

AshranPewter

This has been a longstanding issue and I've sort of tried my best to work around it but Timeline offset for ASS subtitles just doesn't work on Android TV Emby Client.

It works perfectly fine in a browser but it just doesn't do anything at all when trying to use it on my Shield. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong because I don't see anyone else mentioning it, but it's probably because I use ASS subtitles more often than the usual user due to the reliance on dual language subtitles generally being in ASS format.

Anyway, a fix that I can do or a fix to the client would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

AshranPewter

AshranPewter
  • Describe the problem in your own words, including what you're trying to accomplish, and where you're getting stuck: When using ASS subtitles on Android TV (Shield), the offset setting does not work. The subtitles flash but stay at the same timings as before. This is a problem for every single ASS subtitle and video I have regardless of video container. Also took some screenshots, it's a bit of work to get them off of the shield so I've just taken cell phone screenshots. I've shown the same scene but with 5s offset on the subtitle for one of them. To be sure that the time offset doesn't update after closing the menu, I closed it, and went back 10s and then played it to the same scene and re-opened the offset menu to show the current offset. I've attached two ASS subtitles, both of them don't work with the video. But to be clear, every single ass subtitle exhibits this problem on all videos while using the Android TV app.

• If you saw error messages, please tell us what they were. If the problem is difficult to explain, please include screenshots that demonstrate the issue: No Error Messages

• Include the version of the server that you're using. This information can be found on the front page of the server's web dashboard4.8.3.0

• Some apps have their own logs (see EMC and Android TV section below).  For others, they may send logs to us automatically if there is a crash.  Please tell us as much about the scenario as you can to help us locate them: Have sent the logs, the time is approximately 11:50-11:55pm EST. Playing The Gentlemen S01E01, using both of the attached subtitles.

Cheers,

AshranPewter

IMG_3581.jpg

IMG_3582.jpg

The Gentlemen (2024) - S01E01 - Refined Aggression [NF WEBDL-2160p][DV HDR10][EAC3 Atmos 5.1][h265]-FLUX.chinese(简英,manual).ass The Gentlemen (2024) - S01E01 - Refined Aggression [NF WEBDL-2160p][DV HDR10][EAC3 Atmos 5.1][h265]-FLUX.chinese(简英,subtitle_best).default.ass

If you use the Playback Correction until the item transcodes, does it work then?

AshranPewter

I can't get playback correction to transcode, but forcing it to go to transcode by limiting the bandwidth seems to break with the subtitles completely. They don't get burned in or anything.

SRT Subtitles work fine.