Plugin marketplace link (devs)

bakes82

bakes82

Where's the info for the devs for the plugin marketplace thing?

Hi, do you mean about being listed in our plugin catalog?

bakes82

I need creds

Whats This mean and how do you implement 

• Feature ID - Enter the string that you will use to validate against for registration.

also if I don’t want to support future versions ie I make a 4.8 plugin and make it paid. I want to charge another fee for 4.9 so I’d assume I have to make it another plug-in and I need to check the version in my code?

5 hours ago, bakes82 said:

I need creds

Whats This mean and how do you implement 

• Feature ID - Enter the string that you will use to validate against for registration.

also if I don’t want to support future versions ie I make a 4.8 plugin and make it paid. I want to charge another fee for 4.9 so I’d assume I have to make it another plug-in and I need to check the version in my code?

Is this going to be intuitive for users? You're certainly free to build it, but under those conditions I'm not sure we'd want that in our catalog.

Anyway the featureid is just something you enter into the package submission dialog.

9 hours ago, bakes82 said:

I need creds

What is your plugin?  Have you tested it with a group of users already?

bakes82
11 hours ago, Luke said:

I'm not sure we'd want that in our catalog

So you only want devs to give you free work I guess.  How do we get paid for the work and updates that we do. I’d rather have a subscription model but you don’t seem to offer that based off the screen and most people aren’t going to pay 100+ for a lifetime plugin which would be more inline with what a license cost would be for multi versions and years.  Just look at your issues with Emby premium lol. Development cost time and $$.  Why should people add things to the store that we don’t know will work in the future and can’t version lock them and then be  told there are issues when we aren’t supporting that version yet  happens all the time  oh I’m using the 4.9 beta  well that’s nice but I’m not supporting it.  You should honestly link plugins to supported versions.

I mean you have lots of plugins in the store that don’t work now so is it intuitive to know what ones are supported?  This is where the monthly/yearly/version subscription makes most sense.  The developer gets something for actually keeping the plugin current.  The current model I have 0 incentive to support it once published since I’ll never be able to get more money.

5 hours ago, ebr said:

What is your plugin?  Have you tested it with a group of users already?

I have lots of plugins ranging from blocking devices, disabling accounts on certain dates, collection creation from trakt lists/other lists and the most popular one ever created and constantly requested killing 4k streams on supported devices.  I test privately where I can control and limit the DLLs so if they get sent to other people they don’t work or get built with time locks I’m not sure what ones I’m going to add probably start with one of the collection creations from apis to see how much a PITA it is using the store.

17 hours ago, bakes82 said:

I need creds

The reason for why there's a little bar for getting access to the catalog is that we want to offer a selection of quality plugins which are curated by their authors.
If you say you want to create it once and then forget about it, then that's pretty much the opposite direction.

Other terms besides quality, are usefuleness and user interest in a plugin. The best way to see this, is an ongoing test with a group of users as @ebrmentioned already. 
There's hardly any of the community plugins which hasn't started being distributed as a plugin dll in the forums only - without being included in the catalog, so inclusion in the catalog is always a second step.

If you want to provide it as a paid plugin, the bars are even higher - not set by us but by user expectations: When they pay for something, they are expecting support by the author when something doesn't work and sometimes even asking for a refund if somerthing doesn't work as advertised or expected. This means that you need to be ready to respond to user requests, both in technical and commercial regards.

Regarding compatibility: There's generally no need to update your plugin for each new Emby Server release. We strive to retain compatibility as much as possible. A frequent area of incompatibility has been the plugin UI. By using our new Plugin UI model (without html/js), youi're on the right track to avoid incompatibilities or outdated appearances alongside future updates of the server.
For other areas it pretty much depends on what your plugin is doing. Many of the API interfaces are long-term stable, but some are evolving and need occasional updates to your plugins. Rarely a big thing for you to do, though.

9 minutes ago, bakes82 said:

So you only want devs to give you free work I guess.  How do we get paid for the work and updates that we do. I’d rather have a subscription model but you don’t seem to offer that based off the screen and most people aren’t going to pay 100+ for a lifetime plugin which would be more inline with what a license cost would be for multi versions and years.  Just look at your issues with Emby premium lol. Development cost time and $$.  

You are entirely free to set up your own licensing and payment model.

18 minutes ago, bakes82 said:

I mean you have lots of plugins in the store that don’t work now

Could you please post a list of those that aren't working, so that we can take care of it?
This would be very helpful.

Thanks