Sort order in collections - auto collections v. Manual

ramseyn

ramseyn

I set up a second NAS and am transferring all media to it.

(I used it to try Jellyfin and Plex but both completely screw up TV shows...)

On the new one, I now have all the data copied across and installed Emby, set up (as far as I can see) the same as the original EXCEPT that I enable Emby to automatically create collections using the metadata.

This seems to have worked remarkably well BUT there is one difference that is immediately obvious.

Within a collection created automatically on the new NAS, the sort order seems quite random, no reason to it that I can see.

So I looked at the original and there in the manual collections, I can see a "Sort" icon (between subtitle and Favourite).

That does not exist on the new server with automatically created collections.

I'm sure collection display will be the same routine that Emby calls whether manually created or created by Emby so clearly I have missed something somewhwere but I can't find it.

Anyone have a hint why the sort icon may be missing (the automatic versus manual collection creation is likely a Red Herring - but may not be so I mention it just in case).

Happy2Play

What server version and client?

ramseyn

Server 4.7.14, client web browser launched from within the NAS. Interface by clicking on Emby.

Edge latest version.

ramseyn

Just because it is the version in Asustor AppCenter.

I probably installed an update manually on the original and forgot. I can see the original is on 4.8.x so an update should fix.

Thanks so much!

👍

Happy2Play

Also Collections by default have 2 orders (release date and sort title) if you edit metadata with any collection and look at Display order.

ramseyn

Installing, stopping Emby, restarting Emby doesn't make it start the updated version.

Should stopping Emby not cause it to start the new version when I restart Emby or does it require a complete NAS restart? That's a bit odd if it does.

I shall try...

ramseyn

OK restarted, the option is there and I sort by Title, which appears to use the "Sort Title" and everything is as I want it.

On library pages I have Title or Sort title, and I always use Sort Title so I can manipulate the sort as I like it without affecting the displayed title. That's a nice feature none of the others have (even if they did display TV shows which they don't: Plex says all my TV shows are Reacher, despite the metadata hints in the folder names; Jellyfin I cannot work out. It matches nothing and says every folder or series is a season of "Action"!!!)

Thanks for the diagnosis, sorry to be a pain.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ramseyn said:

Installing, stopping Emby, restarting Emby doesn't make it start the updated version.

Should stopping Emby not cause it to start the new version when I restart Emby or does it require a complete NAS restart? That's a bit odd if it does.

I shall try...

Hi, it shouldn't require a complete NAS restart, but we've seen users report that sometimes this is necessary. Usually on QNAP though. I think this is the first I've heard of it on Asustor.