Fail to load subtitles on ATSC 3.0

tvinhas

tvinhas

When I watch live TV or record shows from ATSC 3.0 channels on HDHomerun, Emby gives me a "Fail to load subtitles" error message on the bottom of the TV screen when I try to use closed captions. The image and sound are fine but the closed captions won't load.

Is this a known problem? If I revert the channel to the HD broadcast signal, CC works fine. I've been investigating this for quite some time as I need CC because I have difficult hearing dialogues.

@Lukethis is the problem I mentioned some time ago in the emby testing area. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the server but with the Android TV app.

I'm using Chromecast with Google TV 4K (the latest model).

tvinhas

I just installed from the play store on my Galaxy ZFold 5 and even though I don't get the "Unable to load subtitle", no subtitle appears. 

I'll try sideloading the apk from the page on my chromecast tv and will post the results.

tvinhas

Just confirmed that the problem doesn't exist when I watch the shows through the web so it seems it's a problem only on Android.

Tested on the latest Opera browser on MacOS.

image.thumb.png.5328ee9b22e114912fc0eb49c4b120a8.png

tvinhas

Also, on the non-TV Android client, even though my settings are to start closed caption automatically, it only works after I turn the CC off and then back on.
This doesn't happen on Android TV for the non-4K broadcast channels.

This has to be that flavor of CC that Exo simply doesn't detect...

tvinhas

@ebr Can that be submitted as a bug to Exo? It completely prevents me from using the 4K broadcast channels having me to watch my shows in HD like a savage.  🙂

• Like 1

HI, yes we are looking into it. Thanks.