Video conversion tasks keeps re-processing videos repeatedly.

darkassassin07

darkassassin07

Lately (past 9 months) I've been using embys convert feature to convert all new content to mkv, hevc, aac; replacing original files.

This was working fantastically when I was using a windows 10 based system, however after moving to debian/docker every single job has had huge issues.

When 'automatically convert new content' is on, every item that gets converted gets re-added to the list as a duplicate of what's already finished; sometimes also marked as finished, but often with a failed status. Sometimes the original file gets replaced with a 0 byte file, or one that's only a few secomds long. 

I stopped using that automatically add new content feature, and haven't seen 0byte or miss-converted files since; but now every time I add my tv shows library to a convert job, it re-adds the same 400+ episodes with 99% of them already marked as done and the remaining dozen are always the same: mkvs that already contain hevc+aac only. The logs show emby copying those tracks out of one, into a new mkv and then swapping those mkvs for no good reason. Each of these files were already run through the converter, with identical settings. (well, they have a few times now)

I've even tried removing these shows entirely from my libraries, scanning, then putting them back. Same results: the same 400 episodes constantly re-added to the convert queue when they already match the desired output.

What is going on with this feature on linux?

Attached: main log file, plus several ffmpegs from the converter copying streams between files needlessly.

Newest attempt at the convert job was ~6am.

Converter settings: replacing original files, custom, mkv, hevc, aac, original quality, no automatic additions; converting the whole tv library.

Every single file in that library is already hevc, aac, mkv; yet queueing that library for conversion adds exactly 400 episodes, most of which are already marked as converted in the queue.

ffmpeg-directstream-2d808401-0daf-4101-9aeb-95a987531857_1.txt ffmpeg-directstream-53a5c050-6618-4124-921b-abf3afb68817_1.txt ffmpeg-directstream-f14c2ecf-e8aa-4f5f-8829-dc1f718a09a2_1.txt embyserver.txt

Edited by darkassassin07

Hi, how did you configure the conversion job?

darkassassin07
Posted (edited)

Right click on the library from the home page > convert; then the settings specified above. (replace original files, custom, hevc, acc, mkv, original quality)

The majority of this library has previously been converted with those settings; only the new things should remain but it just re-adds 400 existing items that already match the output.

Allow the job to complete; clear it from history; add it again and it reconverts the same 400 files again. (with ~90% marked as complete immediately and the rest copying tracks to new mkvs as shown in the logs)

Edited by darkassassin07

Happy2Play
5 hours ago, darkassassin07 said:

Allow the job to complete; clear it from history; add it again and it reconverts the same 400 files again.

So Emby needs a different tracking method to ensure they are not converted again?  As Emby no long knows Original has already been replaced.  

I could be wrong but is not checking existing format, it will just convert to applied settings as there is no existing history.

darkassassin07

It shouldn't be adding them in the first place.

Every video that already matches the desired output (mkv, hevc, aac) shouldn't be added to the list at all.

My movies library, like my tv library; is entirely mkv, hevc, aac (with ~4k files in it). When I add it to the convert queue; only the newly added content that isn't mkv, hevc, aac; gets queued. If there is no content not already in that format; it just queues with 0 items and immediately completes.

This is what the tv library should be doing as well.

My tv library has over 40k files in it. Of those, the same 400 get added to the convert queue upon starting a task for the library regardless of them already being in the desired format.

~90% just immediately mark as complete without doing anything. The rest: as shown in the attached logs, get recognized as having streams that already match the desired output: copies them to a new mkv, then swaps the files...

darkassassin07
Posted (edited)

Looks like the movie library is now doing this as well.

Two days ago, when asked to convert my movie library it would queue 0 items as everything in the library matches the desired output.

Yesterday I added the movie 'Imaginary (2024)', queued the library for conversion, and it completed as expected.

Now if I tell emby to convert that library; instead of queueing with '0 items', it re-converts that new movie again (and only that movie): copying the existing tracks to a new mkv, then swapping the files. Just as it's been doing needlessly for 400 tv episodes.

I can provide sample files for testing if wanted.

Edited by darkassassin07

Hi, can you temporarily enable debug logging, then produce the same kind of log file and then attach the debug log? Thanks !

darkassassin07

Once I get some free time and the servers inactive, I'll do that. May be a day or two away.

• Thanks 1