Metadata deleted after loss of NFS Shares

Wizzkidy

Wizzkidy

Hi,

My Emby server running on Ubuntu lost access to it's NFS shares overnight. This was an issue with my Truenas server. Emby was scheduled to reboot overnight and when I resolved the issue with my NFS shares Emby has deleted ALL the metadata.

It looks like Emby saw an empty folder and decided to just delete all metadata it had. This really sucked as it took over 14 hours to reindex everything and now all my latest movies and TV series are all messed up as well.

Can we please have an option to force Emby to stop deleting metadata even if it sees an empty folder?

Wizzkidy
Posted (edited)

Sorry I have been away. The logs are well gone by now unfortunately and I don't intended for my NFS shares to break again and lose all my metadata.

If an NFS mount point stops working and Emby see's an empty folder it needs NOT to delete metadata, in-fact I wonder why you have deletion of metadata automatically anyway, this seems more hassle then it's worth. All it would take is to add an option under the library to turn this off

I found another topic with the exact same issue - Why hasn't this been sorted yet?

Edited by Wizzkidy

Happy2Play

But available and empty, and not available are two totally different things to me.  As one will clear metadata and the other will not.

But assuming you are on 4.8 and have to full backups scheduled you probably could just do a restore.

Wizzkidy
Posted (edited)

Hi,

True, although if we can be given the option to stop metadata from being removed on library's a restore won't be required. A lot of people will be mounting NFS shares via Ubuntu and when NFS goes wrong it will always revert to showing an empty folder because it's a mount point to a local folder on the Ubuntu box

A restore is possible but when it's a virtual machine with a pass-through GPU, it's generally a pain to back up the ubuntu server when in a major disaster you can always reindex, but it shouldn't delete metadata just because the folder appears to be empty...

Edited by Wizzkidy

Happy2Play
10 minutes ago, Wizzkidy said:

A restore is possible but when it's a virtual machine with a pass-through GPU, it's generally a pain to back up the ubuntu server when in a major disaster you can always reindex, but it shouldn't delete metadata just because the folder appears to be empty...

I was just talking about the Backup and Restore plugin in Emby.  As it can backup the databases and metadata for those who choose not to save with media so it is never lost.

HorsePDF

I have had this same experience @Wizzkidy, I'm not sure what Emby side solution there is for it other than a way for Emby to assume that something unexpected happened when all media is gone between metadata updates.

Do you run in docker? When it happened to me, I considered changing the entrypoint of the container to check for the presence of a file/folder on my NFS share before starting Emby - that way if the NFS share isn't available, the container will not start and Emby won't run it's metadata update.

Wizzkidy

@HorsePDF I have seen this discussion in the forums over the years and I'm surprised it's not been addressed yet. I'm not running in docker, and generally it's not unexpected as such, it's only the NFS mount point is a local folder so anything bad happening to NFS and well you have an empty folder, for example the network card for your NFS data suddenly stops working :)

Surely an option to keep metadata in any event at the library level would be a good option to have?

• 2 weeks later...