Emby deleted entire folder of videos (not tv series)

cmh31909

cmh31909

I was watching a video (not tv series, just a video in a folder with other videos) and finished the video and then hit the delete button. Emby deleted the entire folder. I had been watching other videos and deleting them the same way and had no issues. I had not change folders or anything, just watching video after video in the same folder. I checked the Emby log and it shows the API call to the server to delete the video (not the folder), but right after that in the log, you can see where it deletes the entire folder.     
I was using the Roku client on a RokuUltra.

2024-04-06 00:05:07.375 Info Server: http/1.1 DELETE http://192.168.0.64:8096/emby/items/348226. UserAgent: Roku/DVP-12.5 (12.5.5.4174-C2)
2024-04-06 00:05:07.377 Info App: Removing item from database, Type: Video, Name: Avoid These Popular Supplements -Damaging Side Effects-, Path: /mnt/winmce/Videos/YouTube/Medical/Avoid These Popular Supplements -Damaging Side Effects-.mp4, Id: 348226
2024-04-06 00:05:07.390 Info App: Deleting directory /mnt/winmce/Videos/YouTube/Medical
2024-04-06 00:05:07.794 Info App: Deleting path /var/lib/emby/metadata/library/d8/d8dea70be1c368b7aef0c01c6e1c5e51
2024-04-06 00:05:07.795 Info Server: http/1.1 Response 204 to host1. Time: 420ms. DELETE http://192.168.0.64:8096/emby/items/348226

Emby Version 4.8.1.0
Roku/DVP-12.5 (12.5.5.4174-C2)

Happy2Play

What is the library content type?

@ebr@speechles

I will guess this is specific to the client as I just tested in web client but on current release 4.8.3.0 and it only deleted the video.

cmh31909

I was watching a video (not tv series, just a video in a folder with other videos) and finished the video and then hit the delete button. Emby deleted the entire folder. I had been watching other videos and deleting them the same way and had no issues. I had not change folders or anything, just watching video after video in the same folder. I checked the Emby log and it shows the API call to the server to delete the video (not the folder), but right after that in the log, you can see where it deletes the entire folder.     
I was using the Roku client on a RokuUltra.

2024-04-06 00:05:07.375 Info Server: http/1.1 DELETE http://192.168.0.64:8096/emby/items/348226. UserAgent: Roku/DVP-12.5 (12.5.5.4174-C2)
2024-04-06 00:05:07.377 Info App: Removing item from database, Type: Video, Name: Avoid These Popular Supplements -Damaging Side Effects-, Path: /mnt/winmce/Videos/YouTube/Medical/Avoid These Popular Supplements -Damaging Side Effects-.mp4, Id: 348226
2024-04-06 00:05:07.390 Info App: Deleting directory /mnt/winmce/Videos/YouTube/Medical
2024-04-06 00:05:07.794 Info App: Deleting path /var/lib/emby/metadata/library/d8/d8dea70be1c368b7aef0c01c6e1c5e51
2024-04-06 00:05:07.795 Info Server: http/1.1 Response 204 to host1. Time: 420ms. DELETE http://192.168.0.64:8096/emby/items/348226

Emby Version 4.8.1.0
Roku/DVP-12.5 (12.5.5.4174-C2)

Happy2Play

No need to post multiple topics even though your issues would appear specific to the Roku.

cmh31909

This is actually the first time I have had it delete the folder and not just the video.   The content type of the folder is "home videos and photos".

Looking at that log, the app requested the delete on a single video and then the server decided it should also delete the containing folder.  It would do this if it thought that was the only video in the folder.  I'm guessing this would only be reproduceable under the exact set of circumstances/file organization/makeup that existed here but it doesn't appear to be related to the app at all.

• Agree 1

cmh31909
7 hours ago, ebr said:

Looking at that log, the app requested the delete on a single video and then the server decided it should also delete the containing folder.  It would do this if it thought that was the only video in the folder.  I'm guessing this would only be reproduceable under the exact set of circumstances/file organization/makeup that existed here but it doesn't appear to be related to the app at all.

That is actually a very good theory.   It is quite possible that that was the last video in the folder, however, that folder did contain subfolders that did still contain videos.  So if what you say is true, Emby should also check that not only is it the last video but that there are no sub-folders or at least make sure they are empty as well.   It may also be a good idea to prompt and let the user know it will actually be deleting the folder, at least that way, I could have said "no" and avoided the problem.

Happy2Play

Not sure here as I just delete multiple items from a folder to include last item in a folder via Roku and only the items were deleted and empty folder remained via Home Video and Photo library.

But I can guess other conditions must apply.

16 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

But I can guess other conditions must apply

Yes, something specific made the server think that was a single movie in a folder.

cmh31909

Perhaps just add some code to the server to look at and see if there are still non-empty subfolders before deleting the folder?

5 minutes ago, cmh31909 said:

Perhaps just add some code to the server to look at and see if there are still non-empty subfolders before deleting the folder?

For movies, that is valid.... trailers, specials, etc.

cmh31909

My library is just of "home videos", not movies or tv, but still, the same rules should apply, do not automatically delete a folder that still has sub-folders that have content.

18 hours ago, cmh31909 said:

My library is just of "home videos", not movies or tv, but still, the same rules should apply, do not automatically delete a folder that still has sub-folders that have content.

In your case, the specific layout or naming of the item must have matched Emby's convention for a movie, so that's what the system saw it as.  Movies can have subfolders with other video content and it is completely correct to also delete these if a delete of the movie is requested.

Now, and I think this has come up before, it could be argued that we should never resolve something as a Movie if it is within a library marked as "Home videos"....

cmh31909

>Now, and I think this has come up before, it could be argued that we should never resolve something as a Movie if it is within a library marked as "Home videos".

Agreed.  I'm not sure why you don't always use the Content Type designation of the folder as the determining factor instead of guessing based on the file name.

Also, movie naming conventions are very specific, and the video file I deleted was nowhere near that pattern (as you can see in the log).

Happy2Play
3 hours ago, ebr said:

In your case, the specific layout or naming of the item must have matched Emby's convention for a movie, so that's what the system saw it as.  Movies can have subfolders with other video content and it is completely correct to also delete these if a delete of the movie is requested.

Now, and I think this has come up before, it could be argued that we should never resolve something as a Movie if it is within a library marked as "Home videos"....

Doesn't look like it.

/Medical/Avoid These Popular Supplements -Damaging Side Effects-.mp4

But in my testing so far I can only get item to delete, "1. Module Two [Folder]" is left behind empty.

\COURSE ABC [Folder]\1. Module Two [Folder]\1. Second vid.strm

4 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Doesn't look like it.

/Medical/Avoid These Popular Supplements -Damaging Side Effects-.mp4

But in my testing so far I can only get item to delete, "1. Module Two [Folder]" is left behind empty.

\COURSE ABC [Folder]\1. Module Two [Folder]\1. Second vid.strm

The collapse hidden config switch will likely impact this. With it being set to false now on all new libraries and installs, this shouldn't be reprocubile anymore.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

Ah yes my test was with a library "CollapseSingleItemFolders": false,.

Will retest again with a "CollapseSingleItemFolders": true, when I get a chance.

• Thanks 1

cmh31909
4 hours ago, Luke said:

The collapse hidden config switch will likely impact this. With it being set to false now on all new libraries and installs, this shouldn't be reprocubile anymore.

I would I go about changing this for the library on my existing system?

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, cmh31909 said:

I would I go about changing this for the library on my existing system?

Delete and readd your library or you would have to pull the library info from the api then repost it via the api changing the flag.  Generalized info can be found here as you will use /Library/VirtualFolders/LibraryOptions to change info once you get it from query.

Or make a backup of the database and change it directly in the itemsextradata table for the specific library.  Ensure you have a backup of DB is you are going to poke around.

But testing this I still couldn't get it to delete the folder also.  So I can only guess a legacy issue and can't be reproduced easily.

Tested with true and false setting on "CollapseSingleItemFolders".