A380 6GB hardware transcoding issues

bandit8623

bandit8623
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, softworkz said:

I think these cards are just not made to work in this environment. For once, they are targeted at the consumer market, and even though there's a range of models for datacenter operation, that still doesn't mean that they can run virtualized. Unlike with pure GPU solutions like Nvidia or AMD, Intel's architectures have always been around iGPUs with shared memory - where they can do memory remapping instead of copying between system and GPU memory. My suspicion is that this is the reason why Intel cannot easily support virtualized environments.
For example, Nvidia have pretty early provided drivers for WSL (you can in fact use Nvidia HW acceleration when running a Linux version of Emby Server on WSL).
That was two years ago and (at least until recently) Intel does not provide driver support for this.

You really need to check back with Intel whether this is supposed to work in some way.   

i know intel doesnt support it.  but that doesnt mean we cant get it to work :)

heck even nvidia didnt support virt until recently.  i feel im pretty close as i even have video output to my monitor from the vm.  i just dont have a usb pci card that will passthrough to get mouse and keyboard.

going through rdp it wont let me see monitors or resolutions.  

since the entire pci device is getting redirected the gpu really shouldnt know any different.  probably why the drivers install just like normal.

thanks for the help.  its weird everything else works but transcoding items :(

Edited by bandit8623

8 minutes ago, bandit8623 said:

know intel doesnt support it.  but that doesnt mean we cant get it to work

Oh, come'on, we are really trying to help everybody on issues, but I don't think it is fair to let us allocate time for this issue where you:

• Started reporting this in a way like it would be supposed to work
  • Didn't tell that it's about something unsupported - even though you knew it
  • Not even told us (only after explicit question from @Happy2Play) that you are running Emby in a Hyper-V VM, even though you knew that it's crucial information for the issue 
Edited by softworkz
  • Agree 3

bandit8623
52 minutes ago, softworkz said:

Do any of the built-in features work, like screen capture?
You might need to connect a real monitor for this.

Also, ARC cards are very sensitive to BIOS settings on bare metal systems, most importantly the requirement for the "Resizable Bar" setting in the BIOS. I don't know whether Hyper-V can emulate this properly. 

forgot to mention the baremetal host does support rebar.  its the hypervisor to vm where the rbar support seems to get lost. 

bandit8623
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, softworkz said:

Oh, come'on, we are really trying to help everybody on issues, but I don't think it is fair to let us allocate time for this issue where you:

• Not even told us (only after explicit question from @Happy2Play) that you are running Emby in a Hyper-V VM, even though you knew that it's crucial information for the issue 

tons of people run emby in vm's..  and the gpu shows up just fine and all other features work.   even my camera recording software can utilize the a380 for decode. so didnt think it was the issue. also the videos playback almost perfect just a 200ms freeze every 4 seconds

Edited by bandit8623

This scenario is unsupported by the hardware.

----------

Reason for locking:

43 minutes ago, softworkz said:

... I don't think it is fair to let us allocate time for this issue where you:

Edited by softworkz
Clarify reason for locking
  • Facepalm 1
  • Agree 1