Remote users "Auto" seems to default to 4mbps

pbathuk

pbathuk

So as a bit of a background

I have Emby setup within docker, using Nvidia transcoding (I'll drop logs of a recent remote user as well).

The problem I am facing

With remote set to auto it appears to transcode for users at 4mpbs - this is from what they have mentioned + from what I have seen on the dashboard, with it saying 4mbps and transcoding due to this.

My connection is 120mbps up, and I know their connection is 200mbps down, so I find it weird that would be capped at 4mbps.

I have asked them to manually set their remote from auto to 1080p 40mbps.. but this might mean that they miss out on some direct play.. that would be slightly above this.. and both our connections would support.. I would hope that Auto should figure out the best the connection can support.

What I do have is a cap on my internet streaming bitrate. Which I have set to 80.. so that no-one in my house will be impacted if someone is streaming at the max.

image.png.bca663127ead058e4616318b99fe1780.png

Is this auto behaviour normal? or have I potentially configured something incorrectly that should enable a faster rate - since we have a much better connection than 4mbps.

embyserver-63847954130.txt ffmpeg-transcode-07f9e735-948a-4ed3-ac4d-0a414c235617_1.txt

Hi, yes this is normal. The limit you set on the server is only an upper limit, to prevent them from exceeding that.

If you find that the auto value is too conservative then simply raise it to a higher value in the app's quality settings.

pbathuk

Cool, thanks for coming back so quickly.

I've messaged them to ask to set to something higher. 

If they did say 4k 80mbps (not sure if that is an option btw), would that mean a 1080p 20mbps would direct play for them? 

Cheers for the amazingly fast reply 

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, pbathuk said:

Cool, thanks for coming back so quickly.

I've messaged them to ask to set to something higher. 

If they did say 4k 80mbps (not sure if that is an option btw), would that mean a 1080p 20mbps would direct play for them? 

Cheers for the amazingly fast reply 

It could assuming all codecs and subtitles are compatible.