Emby's "Recently Added" Items Not Updating

RobbieBott

RobbieBott

@LukeCould you offer me assistance with this? 

Emby and Plex are running on an Unraid Docker container. 

It seems my Recently added items sections are not updating preventing overseer from sending notifications to users once the movie is added. It was working at one point but seems to have stopped.

Plex is picking these additions up as new, but Emby is not. 

Emby is adding the movie into the Library and it will play with no issues, it is not adding the movies into the "Recently added" sections.

Plex and Emby are local to the media files so they not looking for these files over a network location. 

Plex and Emby are both looking at the same media file locations.

I have a screen recording that will show you what I am talking about but I don't want to post it publicly. If you need/want I can DM you a link to view it.

Happy2Play

I would ask what is your Date added setting set to?  Library-Advanced tab

Also on an item that you believe should appear in Lastest, what is shown as its DateAdded per edit metadata on the item?

RobbieBott
32 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

I would ask what is your Date added setting set to?  Library-Advanced tab

It is set to "Use File Creation Date" I think that maybe default, I don't remember ever changing that setting.image.thumb.png.fc847e5e418deb360f11efa096242e22.png

33 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Also on an item that you believe should appear in Lastest, what is shown as its DateAdded per edit metadata on the item?

I'll use the movie "The Creator" I added that one today specifically to test this.

the metadata edit shows 12/18/2023image.thumb.png.d39e01f9bcb812b0bb71a31b8ac67f3b.png

Unraid shows 4/5/2024 for both the folder and the files inside if it.image.thumb.png.fce586909aa685d0d4ad5d8e87fb5540.pngimage.thumb.png.238a763aefcb8909a337ffb1ff7f65c7.png

Happy2Play

Is that the date modified or date created.  Sorry know nothing about the platform but will assume they have multiple values just like Windows does.

Happy2Play

Be sound like you would prefer changing that setting to Scan date instead of File creation date.

RobbieBott
2 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Is that the date modified or date created.  Sorry know nothing about the platform but will assume they have multiple values just like Windows does.

Unraid shows File Modified Date.

2 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Be sound like you would prefer changing that setting to Scan date instead of File creation date.

I changed it but it appears to have no effect. I am guessing because that movie (and the others I recently added) has a date in the metadata field. Which apparently overrides either of those settings according to hint text under it.

I know this is not a ...arr forum or a sabnzbd forum but do you know of a there is a way to get them to remove that date metadata?

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, RobbieBott said:

Unraid shows File Modified Date.

I changed it but it appears to have no effect. I am guessing because that movie (and the others I recently added) has a date in the metadata field. Which apparently overrides either of those settings according to hint text under it.

I know this is not a ...arr forum or a sabnzbd forum but do you know of a there is a way to get them to remove that date metadata?

Yes existing metadata ie DateAdded field will always be honored.  So one would have to remove these item from the library, do a scan to clear the database, ensure there is no nfo file with media and reimport it.

Or manually adjust date added field.

Will have to look as there are a couple topics on this date issue (**arrs and modified date).

Happy2Play

This may help

RobbieBott
5 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

This may help

What I think I am needing is the .arrs to give me a third option that allows me to change the date added to the date and time it was imported. Or I need Emby to override the date added with its own date added to the time it was scanned into Emby.

RobbieBott

@LukeThe question is why is Emby getting this wrong but Plex is getting this right? And how to fix this?

Happy2Play
10 minutes ago, RobbieBott said:

@LukeThe question is why is Emby getting this wrong but Plex is getting this right? And how to fix this?

maybe this

But Emby is using birthdate/date created not date modified in your case it would appear.

But one of those Linux gurus will have to show the command to see the dates on the file.

RobbieBott
38 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

maybe this

But Emby is using birthdate/date created not date modified in your case it would appear.

But one of those Linux gurus will have to show the command to see the dates on the file.

That appears to be what I am running into, but if it was a Linux issue it seems Plex would be having the same issue, no? I am installing Jellyfin now to see what it does with newly added content. I'm going to see if it lines up more with Plex or Emby and report back. 

Happy2Play

I do not know what Plex does or what tools they use.

3 hours ago, RobbieBott said:

It isn't a question of right or wrong, it is a question of how is it configured? And based on how you have it configured, Emby seems to be handling it correctly. The benefit of the way we do it is that if you ever do a fresh install, then you won't have to deal with your old video files showing up as recently added.

But if you just want to match Plex, then it sounds like you want to change the option to use the date scanned into the library.

5 hours ago, RobbieBott said:

Or I need Emby to override the date added with its own date added to the time it was scanned into Emby.

That's exactly what the date added behavior option does.

RobbieBott
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Luke said:

It isn't. The metadata from the file is overruling it rather than Emby writing its own. If Emby was using the date scanned in "The Creator" would be at the beginning of the Recently added list because it was the last movie scanned in. Because "If a metadata value is present it will always be used before either of these options."  and we do not have the option to overrule that. So the issue comes in because apparently some/alot of the files that are coming in from the ...arrs have that metadata and Emby is using it. Plex overrules it unless you tell it not to, (which makes sense to me) while Emby does not have the option to overrule it. You must manually go in and edit the metadata to correct it. While I do agree there needs to be a way to keep some things from taking over the recently added section (like adding a complete older series) If I add add something it needs to show in recents unless I overrule it. 

How often do people really start from scratch and reimport vs. how many people add files regularly and would want them to show in the recents sections.

Edited by RobbieBott

Happy2Play

Really no different than the existing feature requests.

or from an already written nfo standpoint you want an option for Emby in nfo metatadata to override existing data ie dateadded with Emby "Date added behavior for new content" setting rewriting a new date.

14 hours ago, Luke said:
20 hours ago, RobbieBott said:

Or I need Emby to override the date added with its own date added to the time it was scanned into Emby.

What do you mean?  Emby does not change an existing nfo dateadded value that I have seen.

1 hour ago, RobbieBott said:

It isn't. The metadata from the file is overruling it rather than Emby writing its own. If Emby was using the date scanned in "The Creator" would be at the beginning of the Recently added list because it was the last movie scanned in. Because "If a metadata value is present it will always be used before either of these options."  and we do not have the option to overrule that. So the issue comes in because apparently some/alot of the files that are coming in from the ...arrs have that metadata and Emby is using it. Plex overrules it unless you tell it not to, (which makes sense to me) while Emby does not have the option to overrule it. You must manually go in and edit the metadata to correct it. While I do agree there needs to be a way to keep some things from taking over the recently added section (like adding a complete older series) If I add add something it needs to show in recents unless I overrule it. 

How often do people really start from scratch and reimport vs. how many people add files regularly and would want them to show in the recents sections.

Try setting it to use date scanned into the library and then adding something new.