Emby Android TV HEVC 10bit issues

bjjones

bjjones

Having some new issues other than green bars with Android TV and 10bit material.

Early in the log is was trying to play some 1600x900 TV material that is recognized as 720P in stats. Playback is glitchy for about 30 seconds and then just freezes up. Ran it a few times after a client restart with no change. Stats shows direct play while locked up. Same show on Emby Theater Win10 never loads with a spinning circle. Edge direct plays fine, Firefox transcodes to x264 fine.

Later on, around 1434 in the log I tried to a play a movie (1080p HEVC 10bit) and instead of direct play it errors and falls back to transcoding which the TV show above never did. Not sure what the error was.

Is there an issue with 10bit HEVC ? Logs attached and Thanks as always

exodus error.jpg

hardware_detection-63847910610 1600x900.txt embyserver 1600x900.txt

Edited by bjjones

bjjones
Posted (edited)

Got 3.3.58 installed and it runs better but eventually freezes up after 5 or so minutes instead of just 1. Video freezes, audio continues on playing. But, Android non-tv app brings back the green bars I had reported on in another thread that Luke thought may have something to do with the hybrid mixed DV/HDR media type not being identified correctly. This one has no DV, just HEVC 10bit rather than most everything else of mine being 8bit. Correction to the OP, it plays fine on Emby Theater as well. Went to double check and somehow my install had gone bad and Theater wouldn't play anything, reinstalled and back to normal. So, the file plays everywhere as expected, direct play or transcoded, except on the TV app.

IMG_8275.JPGIMG_8276.JPGIMG_8274.JPG

Edited by bjjones
  • Thanks 1

bjjones

@ebrI've done a good bit more repeatable testing and pretty well convinced the problem lies somewhere in the Android TV app. Additional steps I've taken - I got the same video episode but in AVC, 1600x900, 8bit, 59.940fps and it seems to play fine everywhere including on the Android TV app.

Summary, I took the original above problematic HEVC 1600x900, 10bit, 59.940fps sample and tried it on some different devices I had around. It plays fine on the LG TV App I loaded on a different TV I had never used Emby on, plays fine on Emby Theater, plays fine on the iOS app on an iPad, and plays fine in a browser both direct play and transcoding. As an aside I took the mixed HDR/DV media that I had reported the green bars on in another thread like the example above and it also plays fine on every other device I had access to including the LG TV app.

I'd be happy to pull any kind of log that might be helpful in tracking this down but they don't seem to be of much value since they just show media direct playing to the Android TV app on my Sony even though the picture itself is either corrupted or in the case of the HEVC 1600x900 the video is frozen (audio keeps on playing). It seems the Android TV app does not handle the combination of HEVC and 10bit and a high frame rate well, throw in a size not 1280/720p or 1920/1080p (1600x900) on top and it completely gets confused.

Thanks for looking into it but not sure how far you want to dig into it being its only on the Android apps and nowhere else.

3 hours ago, bjjones said:

the problem lies somewhere in the Android TV app.

Didn't you say you had similar issues with the standard app?

bjjones

Yes, similar but a little different but I probably should have lumped them both together. Android app up 2 posts on the badly behaving 1600x900 plays for about 3 to 5 minutes (with the weird green bars) then the video freezes (audio plays on). Android TV app same video no green bars but freezes within 10 or so seconds (audio plays on). And both play the AVC version of the same video fine, so yes it's a problem across Android in general but worse on the TV app version

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
bjjones
Posted (edited)

@Luke One last bit of info on this in case it's useful otherwise I think I've pretty much tried all the variations and beat the subject to death. Here's the log from a HEVC 10bit low 24fps framerate (the 60fps samples have the most problems). It played along fine for a few minutes then got the recovering from a playback error on the Android TV app. Resumed it from the same place on the standard Android app 3.3.58 and it continued playing along fine in direct play mode. Let me know if there's anything else I can try on my setup for you - Thanks

10bit playback error.jpg

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-directstream-a8ec5a96-5ea4-47b5-9e6f-637816e90423_1.txt

Edited by bjjones