Introducing TV series to Library.

Viktikus

Viktikus

Hi There.

I'm trying to understand how this library thing works, with strong XMBC backround.

When I add "TV Series" type folder that has TV series in their own folders, UI does not really show the episodes. Actually the "TV Shows" isn't event there. I have to use Folder view... confused...

How to do this? With XBMC's thetvdb.com scrapper library building I have never had any problems.

My file structure is

Series/
....../Simpsons
.............../S02E01-Some thing.iso
.............../S15E15-Something.iso
....../Futurama/
................S04E22-Some eposode.iso

Folder names in here acts directly as TV Series name (TVDB compatible) and all the episodes and seasons are in this folder, designed as "SxxExx-".

I Wish that the same way would apply to MediaCenter as well.

Exporting XBMC's library into NFO etc files should not be the solution. IF so, there should be a designated folder to read them from, where XBMC export is done.. neat and clean, unpolluted.

post-2671-0-54564800-1415265969_thumb.png

post-2671-0-62986100-1415265970_thumb.png

Edited by Viktikus

Beardyname

It might have to do with the shows not being recognized.

If you go to the meta-data editor you can see if information has been fetched, Otherwise you might have to add the external id's yourself.

I would start with the metadata editor and see how it looks, other than that it "might" be a problem with the trailing - as in (SxxExx-) not really sure if it's supposed to work or not, since that - is mostly used for multi part episodes.

Link to the naming conventions: http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/674-media-files-folders-structure/?p=21472

Viktikus

No, I will not brake the XBMC way. Folders- and filenotations works perfectly with xbmc's scrappers, has always been so.

Filename has already needed information in fixed manner.. There are grave benefits on having the same TV show on a flat folder structure.. 

I would suggest the Mediabrowser to adopt xbmc's way of parsing and scraping episdoes with RegEXP..

Talks http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/11081-wrong-seasonepisode-numbers/

Edited by Viktikus

Viktikus

yep the folder structure is, i was more thinking of the filenames, but should be doable through the metadata editor. (I think)

Well.. When I contruct my Xbmc library from the scratch, the idea is (and this works) to make this fully automated. I just tell Xbmc that from this folder on, there are TV series in folders. Everyting (over 2000 episodes) is scraped automatically. No manual tampering. Never. All folder and filesnames are matched to TVDB webApi.

Edited by Viktikus

Beardyname

Well.. When I contruct my Xbmc library from the scratch, the idea is (and this works) to make this fully automated. I just tell Xbmc that from this folder on, there are TV series in folders. Everyting (over 2000 episodes) is scraped automatically. No manual tampering. Never. All folder and filesnames are matched to TVDB webApi.

Well you have to take into account that Kodi (formerly xbmc) has been around for ages and ages while mb is a newcomer to this. aka Kodi supports more naming conventions, have you looked in the web-ui? Unidentifiable items are usually tagged with a red "!" sign. Other than that i can't really say why it's not working :/

Viktikus

Well you have to take into account that Kodi (formerly xbmc) has been around for ages and ages while mb is a newcomer to this.

Sure, I was involved with the Xbox1 console XBMC development back in those days..

This has nothing to do with the age of the product. 3rd party Python scrappers in XBMC are "plugins" and does the job for the XBMC and hence has been proven to work fluently with several naming conventions. AdvancedSettings.xml can have custom RegExp's for scraping as well.  I would be nice that MediaBrowser would adopt some of the leading standards already established for many years now. The most amazing thing would be the crossusage of the xbmc's scrappers, so that I could just copy/install Xbmc's scrappers into mediabrowser (python 2.x engine required) and they just work as plugins.

I really like MediaBrowser, but there are still just a bit problems in my case.

Edited by Viktikus

Latchmor

Hi, the folder structure is fine as I just tested it and everything shows up as it should. I don't have any simpsons at all so just created 3 dummy iso files and the the metadata flooded in. Also, the new 'TV' tile appeared in home page (I have everything else showing in their own folders).

Cheers

545c91875fca6_Capture1.jpg

545c91971cd21_Capture2.jpg

545c91ba19436_Capture3.jpg

545c91cfebcad_Capture4.jpg

545c91dda8a77_Capture5.jpg

• Like 1

Viktikus

Excelent, Thank you for this illustrations!

But, does this mean that MediaBrowser will write metaData into the folder at hand? I have manually pointed a cache-folder in the server settings.. TV series folders may not be polluted at all .i.e no writting into them..

Edited by Viktikus

Latchmor

Hi, I have chosen to have metadata to save to my folders,

545c97718a616_Capture6.jpg

But you can tell it where to save here,

545c978b908ad_Capture7.jpg

• Like 1

Viktikus

Will this work, if I add "root" folder only, that has those TV series folders inside? In this case.. Series/

Series
........../Simpsons/
........../Futurama/
........../Family Guy/
........./Some other Series/
Edited by Viktikus

Latchmor

Yeah should do. In the library setup you are essentially telling it 'this is the root of my media folder, find everything in it'. Like below,

545cbb39abefb_Capture8.jpg

What to do is copy a few folders from your library to a test series folder (keeping the same structure) and see how it works. That way you won't change your live data if your worried about it.

Edited by Latchmor

• 1 month later...

Seems like you need to setup the TV Shows folders as "Movies" for them to work now with flat folder structure.

This is not correct.

Please provide more information including an explorer screen shot of the contents of one of your TV series in a separate thread.