version name and subtitles

I really like the way emby shows the versions, I usually have a 1080p version and another 4K version, I'm not sure why emby always says that the best version is 4K and not 1080p even if it has to transcode it.

The best thing would be to choose 1080p by default or, if applicable, detect if the client can reproduce it in direct play and select the most compatible one or the one that best suits the client.

On the other hand, it shows the full file name, wouldn't it be better if it showed some additional box in the movie file? That is to say, just as the Action genre comes out, the version could be added, in my case it would be 1080p/4K, but it could be set so that one could add Extended version Cinema version.

image.thumb.png.f96b9fa83b358a9aabd1e23eeb88fe6b.png

The same thing happens with subtitles and audio, no one knows the meaning of SUBRIP OR PGSSUB, perhaps SRT or PGS is better known.
English (PGS)
Spanish (SRT)
Spanish Forced (SRT)

The default could be an icon and not such a long text.

image.png.ff213cae0102ed0471198299bebe77bb.png

Thank you for all the work that goes into this.

HI, what icon would you use for default that would be obvious enough for everyone to understand?

IPley_2
Hace 8 horas, Luke dijo:

Hola, ¿qué icono usarías por defecto que fuera lo suficientemente obvio como para que todos lo entiendan?

By default it is not something that is so obvious to many people either.

By default for what or who?

For me who watch movies in Spanish or for my brothers who watch them on V.O + subs?

Each person will want a default track, perhaps it is more convenient to set the preferences of each client and have that be the "default"

With a simple "V" icon in a dull color you could indicate that this track is the one that is marked if you do not change your settings in the profile

41 minutes ago, IPley_2 said:

By default it is not something that is so obvious to many people either.

By default for what or who?

For me who watch movies in Spanish or for my brothers who watch them on V.O + subs?

Each person will want a default track, perhaps it is more convenient to set the preferences of each client and have that be the "default"

With a simple "V" icon in a dull color you could indicate that this track is the one that is marked if you do not change your settings in the profile

It's just indicating that the track is marked as default in it's metadata. It's just a piece of information. It doesn't mean it will be the default selected track for your Emby user. (It might be, it just depends on your subtitle preferences).

Have you explored the subtitle preferences for your Emby user?

I don't think that's obvious enough. How will anyone know what V means?

IPley_2
Hace 1 hora, Luke dijo:

Solo indica que la pista está marcada como predeterminada en sus metadatos. Es solo una pieza de información. No significa que sea la pista seleccionada por defecto para tu usuario de Emby. (Podría ser, solo depende de tus preferencias de subtítulos).

¿Has explorado las preferencias de subtítulos para tu usuario de Emby?

No creo que eso sea lo suficientemente obvio. ¿Cómo sabrá alguien lo que significa V?

That's what I meant: what the metadata marks for a person without knowledge does not understand the concept of "default" either.

If I'm not mistaken, I think that no platform has a "default" for subtitles.

Perhaps by putting it in another color you can identify the "default" subtitle in the metadata and thus you always know which subtitle the person who uploaded the content set by default.

IPley_2

Since we are talking about how subtitles are chosen, I think it is a good time to propose another of the problems that many of us who surely use emby face and that is transcoding.
few or almost no one has equipment to transcode so it is never a concern.
emby I think that when starting up it should analyze the device and see what is compatible and what is not.

I can't explain to my parents why the pg subtitles on the dining room TV with Android TV can be used and in the room with LG they can't.

How about a system that initially shows what is 100% compatible with the device and if there is no other option, use transcoding?

let's give an example.

I have 2 subtitles, one SRT and the other PGS.

My father turns on the TV and Emby analyzes what is compatible on that device.
If PGS is not supported on that device, it should not show it if there is another better or more efficient alternative for the device.

The same thing happens with the audios, if I have a DTS-HD and an ac3 of the same language, but the device is not compatible with DTS-HD, it makes no sense that because it is the predefined track I use that converting it to AC3 or even another lower quality , having an AC3 that is 100% compatible.

I know it is difficult because you can have 2 languages that have the same tag en-US or en-GB and it is only named with en.

and the subtitles happen exactly the same.

Maybe put in red what is not compatible and put a message that it is not used if it is not strictly necessary.

Edited by IPley_2