Failure to update to 4.8.3.0 in ubuntu

questor765

questor765

I just attempted installing version 4.8.3.0 over my old version via

sudo dpkg -i emby-server-deb_4.8.3.0_amd64.deb

But the service will no longer start. I tried removing the package and doing a fresh install, but no luck there either. Strangely, it appears that my etc/embyserver.conf file has been removed.

Any advice or suggestions would be welcome

---Fresh install attempt---

sudo dpkg -i emby-server-deb_4.8.3.0_amd64.deb
Selecting previously unselected package emby-server.
(Reading database ... 184568 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack emby-server-deb_4.8.3.0_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking emby-server (4.8.3.0) ...
Setting up emby-server (4.8.3.0) ...
usermod: no changes
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/emby-server.service → /lib/systemd/system/emby-server.service.
Job for emby-server.service failed because of unavailable resources or another system error.
See "systemctl status emby-server.service" and "journalctl -xeu emby-server.service" for details.
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.35-0ubuntu3.6) ...

---service status---

systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Failed with result 'resources'.
Failed to start Emby Server is a personal media server with apps on just about every device.
emby-server.service: Failed to load environment files: No such file or directory
emby-server.service: Failed to run 'start' task: No such file or directory
emby-server.service: Failed with result 'resources'.
Failed to start Emby Server is a personal media server with apps on just about every device.
emby-server.service: Failed to load environment files: No such file or directory
emby-server.service: Failed to run 'start' task: No such file or directory
emby-server.service: Failed with result 'resources'.

questor765

I will check for a log file after work tonight.

If I remember correctly from last night, I started the process with version 4.7.13

OK that would be great, thanks.

questor765

The most recent logfile was from when I stopped the server prior to upgrading. So nothing that seems noteworthy there.

No new log entries or files since I installed the new dpkg. So it seems like it isn't even starting

Apparently I was previously on version 4.7.11

Hi, what version of Ubuntu is it?

Schleudertrauma
On 4/3/2024 at 7:22 AM, questor765 said:

Job for emby-server.service failed because of unavailable resources or another system error.

See "systemctl status emby-server.service" and "journalctl -xeu emby-server.service"

It says "unavailable resources", please make sure you have enough space on your hard disk for running emby. I had the same issue that emby didn't want to start after i rebooted my vm after updating the system and the issue was that my hard disk partition emby was installed, on ran out of space. I fixed it quickly and everything got back to normal.

In case that hard disk space is not the problem, have you tried the second command which linux provides?

Execute "journalctl -xeu emby-server.service". Maybe it tells you more about the issue than the systemctl command.

Greetings

Schleudi

Edited by Schleudertrauma

questor765

Sorry for the large lag in responses. Life happens, and disrupts things.

I've been running on Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS

For Schleudertrauma's recommendation, I've got about 13GB left on the drive, so that doesn't look to be a promising avenue.

Lessaj

Please post your service file definition and check if the EnvironmentFile exists since that's what it's erroring on. I just installed a fresh Ubuntu 22 doing nothing other than logging in, running an apt-get upgrade, downloading the deb and installing and have no error related to that. The environment file doesn't really have much in it anyway you could always create it manually but I don't see why it wouldn't be creating it if it didn't exist and would be suspect of any other files being created.

/etc/emby-server.conf

# Path to your emby library (default: /var/lib/emby)
EMBY_DATA=

Edited by Lessaj

questor765

Well, my ubuntu install decided to go belly up over the weekend. Leaving me to think there was some underlying issue outside of Emby.

I'll cross my fingers and do a fresh install on everything.

Thanks for your help, all the same

11 minutes ago, questor765 said:

Well, my ubuntu install decided to go belly up over the weekend. Leaving me to think there was some underlying issue outside of Emby.

I'll cross my fingers and do a fresh install on everything.

Thanks for your help, all the same

Let us know how you get on. Thanks.

questor765

About halfway back on my feet at this point.
I decided to put a fresh install on my truenas-scale server. Instead of the machine that went belly up

Good news is that I can stream media in the house again.
Bad news is that I'm facing some sort of networking issue. Emby can't reach tvdb, imdb, etc for identifying media. Nor can it reach the premier verification server.

2024-04-20 22:54:08.871 Error SecurityManager: Error checking registration status of MBSupporter
*** Error Report ***
Version: 4.8.3.0
Command line: /system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /config -ffdetect /bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /bin/ffprobe -restartexitcode 3
Operating system: Linux version 6.1.74-production+truenas (root@tnsbuilds01.tn.ixsystems.net) (gcc (Debian 12.2.0-14) 12.2.0, GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Debian) 2.40) #2
Framework: .NET 6.0.25
OS/Process: x64/x64
Runtime: system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
Processor count: 4
Data path: /config
Application path: /system
System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException: System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException: Name or service not known (mb3admin.com:443)
---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (0xFFFDFFFF): Name or service not known
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.AwaitableSocketAsyncEventArgs.ThrowException(SocketError error, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.AwaitableSocketAsyncEventArgs.System.Threading.Tasks.Sources.IValueTaskSource.GetResult(Int16 token)
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.<ConnectAsync>g__WaitForConnectWithCancellation|277_0(AwaitableSocketAsyncEventArgs saea, ValueTask connectTask, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at System.Net.Http.HttpConnectionPool.ConnectToTcpHostAsync(String host, Int32 port, HttpRequestMessage initialRequest, Boolean async, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.CoreHttpClientManager.SendAsyncInternal(HttpRequestOptions options, String httpMethod)
at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.CoreHttpClientManager.SendAsync(HttpRequestOptions options, String httpMethod)
at Emby.Server.Implementations.Security.PluginSecurityManager.UpdateRegistrationStatus(String feature, String key, String version, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
Source: System.Net.Http
TargetSite: Void MoveNext()
InnerException: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: Name or service not known
Source: System.Net.Sockets
TargetSite: Void ThrowException(System.Net.Sockets.SocketError, System.Threading.CancellationToken)
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.AwaitableSocketAsyncEventArgs.ThrowException(SocketError error, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.AwaitableSocketAsyncEventArgs.System.Threading.Tasks.Sources.IValueTaskSource.GetResult(Int16 token)
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.<ConnectAsync>g__WaitForConnectWithCancellation|277_0(AwaitableSocketAsyncEventArgs saea, ValueTask connectTask, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at System.Net.Http.HttpConnectionPool.ConnectToTcpHostAsync(String host, Int32 port, HttpRequestMessage initialRequest, Boolean async, CancellationToken cancellationToken)

4 hours ago, questor765 said:

About halfway back on my feet at this point.
I decided to put a fresh install on my truenas-scale server. Instead of the machine that went belly up

Good news is that I can stream media in the house again.
Bad news is that I'm facing some sort of networking issue. Emby can't reach tvdb, imdb, etc for identifying media. Nor can it reach the premier verification server.

2024-04-20 22:54:08.871 Error SecurityManager: Error checking registration status of MBSupporter
*** Error Report ***
Version: 4.8.3.0
Command line: /system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /config -ffdetect /bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /bin/ffprobe -restartexitcode 3
Operating system: Linux version 6.1.74-production+truenas (root@tnsbuilds01.tn.ixsystems.net) (gcc (Debian 12.2.0-14) 12.2.0, GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Debian) 2.40) #2
Framework: .NET 6.0.25
OS/Process: x64/x64
Runtime: system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
Processor count: 4
Data path: /config
Application path: /system
System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException: System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException: Name or service not known (mb3admin.com:443)
---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (0xFFFDFFFF): Name or service not known
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.CoreHttpClientManager.SendAsyncInternal(HttpRequestOptions options, String httpMethod)
at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.CoreHttpClientManager.SendAsync(HttpRequestOptions options, String httpMethod)
at Emby.Server.Implementations.Security.PluginSecurityManager.UpdateRegistrationStatus(String feature, String key, String version, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
Source: System.Net.Http
TargetSite: Void MoveNext()
InnerException: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: Name or service not known
Source: System.Net.Sockets
TargetSite: Void ThrowException(System.Net.Sockets.SocketError, System.Threading.CancellationToken)

Hi, looks like you have something preventing the server from sending these outgoing requests. Typical causes are firewall, security software or vpn. Can you please look into those and let us know what you find?

questor765

Unless truenas sets up it's own firewall rules in the middle of things, the only firewall for the network is set to block incoming packets without an established connection and allow all outgoing. Pretty bare bones there

No security software or VPN in the mix

questor765

For a point of comparison, I tried installing emby-server on my linux desktop. That succesfully talks to the licensing server. So the issue is at least local to the truenas server/container

Can you think of something you might have on the server machine that could be blocking Emby Server from sending these outgoing requests?

questor765

Nothing obvious to me. I shut down the other apps I have running, without any impact.

questor765
Posted (edited)

I can reach outside servers like google.com from the server terminal client. So it seems like it should be an issue with the way I've got Emby or Kubernetes set up.

I've got the kubernetes cluster set with all the default network addressing
It's pointed at my router as the ip4 gateway
Its bonded to a bridge NIC

I've tried with an without the host network flag set in the app settings

-----------------------------------

I tried changing the server's dns server to 8.8.8.8, figured that maybe my normal dns server was at fault
I found an allow/deny outgoing connections setting in Truenas, but it was allready on allow

Edited by questor765

questor765

I think I'm zeroing in on the issue.

After playing around with terminal access from inside the other apps on my server, it appears to be a DNS issue.

I can ping anything by ip address in apps or from the Truenas proper. But as soon as I go by website names, the apps can no longer reach anything.

• Thanks 1

questor765
Posted (edited)

Yup, that did it. I modified resolv.conf to point to a DNS of my choosing. Apparently there is something wrong with the kubernetes DNS that truenas set things to.

Now I just have to figure out how to make the edit survive rebooting the cluster app

Edited by questor765
  • Thanks 1