HEVC Direct play issue

BrandonYoung

BrandonYoung

I have also noticed  HEVC encoded video isn't direct playing for me, too.

My videos are live TV ATSC 3.0 recorded videos.  It looks like the codec tags are missing when I look at the episode details.

My server is Version 4.8.3.0 running on Ubuntu.

I tried using the Chrome Web browser  and the Android app on my Chromebook

Hi there @BrandonYoungdid you explore the stats feature in the video player to learn why it was transcoding?

BrandonYoung

@Luke

yes, The reason given was 

"Converting video to compatible codec"

However, I thought ChromeOS was supposed to playback HEVC..  The Emby Android app on the Chromebook also converts to H.264 when playing back.

The CPU of my Chromebook is a Mediatek Kompanio 1380, and the specs say it should decode hevc.

The Emby app on my phone plays back the HEVC with direct play.

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-transcode-e15a195e-e36d-43e3-b818-a3755d9a8609_1.txt

visproduction

https://caniuse.com/hevc

It looks like you need to use Safari for HEVC playback.  Your Mobile is probably using a different mobile browser version. There are audio codecs that often need conversion, as well.  I believe that h.265 .mkv HEVC playback required a licensing fee from the original codec owner, some expense that was $0.50 a browser per user.  That gets pricy pretty quick, so a lot of browser companies just didn't bother.  Now there are newer video codecs anyway.  Trying to get HEVC to easily playback on Windows Chrome, I think means you need hardware card that can handle it, or a plug-in.  I never brothered to try to get that to work.  I believe all online social video networks do not use HEVC for playback because it's difficult or impossible to get it to work for everyone.

I prefer high quality encoded h.264 .mp4.  I think the edges in the image are more natural.  HEVC sort of crunches and sharpens edges and sort gives spiky look to the color shades as a result of more advanced compression. You don't easily get good enough .mp4 quality with real time encoded at a good bitrate.  If you set the encoding to highest quality .mp4 with a 3rd party encoder, you can get excellent looking 1080P at 2400 kbps.  These .mp4's playback on all browsers.  Stay away from AC3 audio and just use AAC.  Most users don't want to reencode any media to larger mp4 sizes and everyone wants either direct or real time conversion.  So, my approach is not very popular.  My media plays easily on all hardware and looks great.

BrandonYoung

@Luke and @visproduction

I am running ChromeOS  123

From the chart, It says Chrome 123 is supposed to playback HEVC and it says ChromeOS, too

"Supported for all devices on macOS (>= Big Sur 11.0) and Android (>= 5.0), for devices with hardware support on Windows (>= Windows 8), and for devices with hardware support powered by VAAPI on Linux and ChromeOS"

According to Mediatek, the Kompanio CPU should support hevc.

So it looks like everything should work.  And I remember them working in the past. I think my frustration is more with Google than you,  I chose an arm based Chromebook because I wanted the arm compatibility for Android apps. Its frustrating that Google did something changing from  ARC++ to  ARCVM  that seems to break the app. 

Happy2Play
24 minutes ago, BrandonYoung said:

So it looks like everything should work.  And I remember them working in the past.

I guess you can test this by disabling conversion on the user.

Disable 2 and 3 and try to play the media.  If device/client supports the codec it should play otherwise will fail.

image.png.1b6368c5cde3ef609c6a4b906ef85ec3.png

But does HTML5test - How well does your browser support HTML5? (opensuse.org) show h265 support?

Edited by Happy2Play

visproduction

Brandon,
Where are you seeing that Chrome OS can do H.265?  The page I listed above: https://caniuse.com/hevc  is not showing it.

And on https://html5test.opensuse.org/ my latest Chrome, Firefox and Edge is listed with H.265 support as 'No' for all.

Is there some plugin or other page where your Chrome version says it can do H.265?

Lessaj

H265 support natively in the browser in Linux/ChromeOS can be tricky to achieve, not all the patches required are merged into the upstream I think. I've been following a thread for arch linux where a mesa patch was linked which should resolve it but it's not merged yet and I'm not currently building mesa from git to merge it myself to try. I've even seen mixed results from my friends using chrome on windows where some are direct playing h265 and others are being transcoded, even though I know they have hardware capable of it with modern Nvidia GPUs.

• Agree 1

Happy2Play
17 minutes ago, visproduction said:

Where are you seeing that Chrome OS can do H.265?

Per note 5

and for devices with hardware support powered by VAAPI on Linux and ChromeOS

But can still be to vague.  Maybe Hardware acceleration setting?

On 4/3/2024 at 12:41 AM, BrandonYoung said:

@Luke

yes, The reason given was 

"Converting video to compatible codec"

However, I thought ChromeOS was supposed to playback HEVC..  The Emby Android app on the Chromebook also converts to H.264 when playing back.

The CPU of my Chromebook is a Mediatek Kompanio 1380, and the specs say it should decode hevc.

The Emby app on my phone plays back the HEVC with direct play.

embyserver.txt 1.08 MB · 0 downloads ffmpeg-transcode-e15a195e-e36d-43e3-b818-a3755d9a8609_1.txt 232 kB · 2 downloads

Actually, this is the page I was thinking of:

https://ott.dolby.com/codec_test/index.html

What does that show for hevc?

BrandonYoung
On 4/9/2024 at 4:23 PM, Luke said:

Actually, this is the page I was thinking of:

https://ott.dolby.com/codec_test/index.html

What does that show for hevc?

That site says  my Chromebook can't play HEVC. I could have sworn I was direct playing HEVC content in an earlier version of ChromeOS  on this machine ,though. if not through the browser, then it was through the emby app. but neither of them direct play hevc. now.

OK that explains that then. Thanks.