Emby clients pausing/buffering too often - Clients need bigger buffers

marshallwyoung

marshallwyoung

Just started having this problem this past week as well. We'd be watching an episode and with 3 minutes left it just started freezing and it'd take about 30 seconds to play a 4-5 second clip. Then today it started freezing 15 minutes into the episode. So, I swapped fire cubes because I thought it might be the cube (mechanical issue) but it kept doing it. I changed the playback in emby to use VLC instead of the built in exoplayer for playback and the buffering issue no longer happened. Its direct stream with exceptional reception and I've checked all the cords and routers, ect... I'm convinced I've narrowed it down to emby, it doesn't happen in Plex with the same episodes. I can see it's not buffering correctly when it happens and it's only moving around 4mbps so not much, especially for my network and devices to handle. For months, everything has been working seamlessly. just the last two weeks this started happening. I did notice an update on emby tonight. So, who knows, maybe the update fixed it, I'll know tomorrow when I watch the next few episodes of it continues. But, it could be a possible degradation issue in the emby software that pushes it to fail to buffer correctly after so much wear and tear. Who knows, 🧐🤔

Gilgamesh_48
On 3/28/2024 at 4:11 AM, marshallwyoung said:

Just started having this problem this past week as well. We'd be watching an episode and with 3 minutes left it just started freezing and it'd take about 30 seconds to play a 4-5 second clip. Then today it started freezing 15 minutes into the episode. So, I swapped fire cubes because I thought it might be the cube (mechanical issue) but it kept doing it. I changed the playback in emby to use VLC instead of the built in exoplayer for playback and the buffering issue no longer happened. Its direct stream with exceptional reception and I've checked all the cords and routers, ect... I'm convinced I've narrowed it down to emby, it doesn't happen in Plex with the same episodes. I can see it's not buffering correctly when it happens and it's only moving around 4mbps so not much, especially for my network and devices to handle. For months, everything has been working seamlessly. just the last two weeks this started happening. I did notice an update on emby tonight. So, who knows, maybe the update fixed it, I'll know tomorrow when I watch the next few episodes of it continues. But, it could be a possible degradation issue in the emby software that pushes it to fail to buffer correctly after so much wear and tear. Who knows, 🧐🤔

i have never seen any significant buffering on any client: Roku, Fire TV and Shield TV. Except I did see some one time that I tracked that to wireless interference. I do not think the clients need bigger buffers also I do not think bigger buffers would solve the problems that some experience. I believe a bigger buffer will just be a waist of memory. 

But, if it could be done without other impacts it would be OK. I just do not think buffer size makes much difference after a certain minimum size which the current buffer size more than meets. Also; everybody knows that "size does not matter." ;) :D 

marshallwyoung

It happened a few more times but I was settled in and didn't feel like pulling logs at the moment. I will post some logs when I get a chance.

It seems to only happen on the fire cubes on WiFi, the fire cube plugged into Ethernet doesn't have this problem. Logs will tell the story, will follow up when I have some time 

12 hours ago, marshallwyoung said:

It seems to only happen on the fire cubes on WiFi, the fire cube plugged into Ethernet doesn't have this problem

Hi.  I think that most likely tells the story...

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...