Error parsing

XDXJX

XDXJX

Hello!

I have a 2 part Movie dump from my original 4k disks. No alteration just straight dump to mkv.

The problem: Only part 2 is showing up in the library. Re-scanned the library multiple times, changed (shortened) file names to no avail. Emby server is version 4.8.3.0 running on Synology DS415+ with DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 5

Files are named:

Justice League-Part1.mkv

Justice League-Part2.mkv

Found these error messages in the logs regarding part1 file:

*** Error Report ***
Version: 4.8.3.0
Command line: /volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /var/packages/EmbyServer/var -ffdetect /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffprobe -nolocalportconfig -ignore_vaapi_enabled_flag -pidfile /var/packages/EmbyServer/var/EmbyServer.pid -defaultdirectory /volume1/Public -updatepackage emby-server-synology7_{version}_x86_64.spk -noautorunwebapp
Operating system: Linux version 3.10.108 (root@build7) (gcc version 8.5.0 (GCC) ) #42962 SMP Fri Mar 24 00:28:41 CST 2023
Framework: .NET 6.0.25
OS/Process: x64/x64
Runtime: volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
Processor count: 4
Data path: /var/packages/EmbyServer/var
Application path: /volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/system
System.Exception: System.Exception: Error running ffmpeg quick-extract-image for file:"/volume1/Video/Movies 4K/Native/Justice League-Part1.mkv" - Command: -f matroska -threads 1 -copyts -i file:"/volume1/Video/Movies 4K/Native/Justice League-Part1.mkv" -map 0:4 -update 1 -vf "scale=trunc(min(max(iw\,ih*dar)\,600)/2)*2:trunc(ow/dar/2)*2" -vsync 0 -f image2 "/var/packages/EmbyServer/var/cache/temp/dfd40611-73c6-4c2c-9853-2644e312e293.jpg"
at Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.ImageExtraction.ImageExtractorBase.RunExtraction(String inputPath, Nullable`1 container, MediaStream videoStream, Nullable`1 protocol, Nullable`1 streamIndex, Nullable`1 threedFormat, Nullable`1 startOffset, Nullable`1 interval, String targetDirectory, String targetFilename, Nullable`1 maxWidth, Boolean enableThumbnailFilter, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.ImageExtraction.ImageExtractionManager.ExtractImageInternal(ReadOnlyMemory`1 inputPath, Nullable`1 container, MediaStream videoStream, Nullable`1 streamIndex, Nullable`1 threedFormat, Nullable`1 offset, Boolean useThumbNailFilter, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.ImageExtraction.ImageExtractionManager.ExtractImage(ReadOnlyMemory`1 inputPath, Nullable`1 container, MediaStream videoStream, Nullable`1 streamIndex, MediaProtocol protocol, Boolean isAudio, Nullable`1 threedFormat, Nullable`1 offset, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at Emby.Providers.MediaInfo.VideoImageProvider.GetImage(BaseMetadataResult itemResult, ImageType type, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at Emby.Providers.Manager.ItemImageProvider.RefreshFromProvider(BaseMetadataResult itemResult, IDynamicImageProvider provider, Boolean providerReportsChanges, ImageRefreshOptions refreshOptions, Boolean replaceAllImages, TypeOptions savedOptions, LibraryOptions libraryOptions, List`1 downloadedImages, RefreshResult result, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
Source: Emby.Server.MediaEncoding
TargetSite: Void MoveNext()

How there, how are your files organized? Please attach the complete emby server log file. Thanks.

XDXJX

Hi Luke,

Here is the log.

The MKV files for this library are in the following folder hierarchy:

/volume1/Video/Movies 4K/Native

/volume1/Video/Movies 4K/Upscaled

The library root points to /volume1/Video/Movies 4K

The affected movie is within the "Native" folder along with other single file movies, all of them are my MKV converts from my original 4k Discs with no processing. Native and Upscaled refer to how the movie was filmed and mastered, I plan to loose this distinction and combine the two folders onto one at some point.

I also failed to mention earlier that this has worked fine when I first put the movie in few months ago. I was able to create the "stack" with the two parts and all was dandy. Then at some point it got messed up.

1.png

2.png

embyserver.txt

When you click on Part 2 in the library, does it show Part on as an additional part?

XDXJX

Not showing on the Nvidia Shield.

However when using a browser on my laptop it does show part1 as an additional part but it still defaults to part2. I seems that part1 and part2 are swapped in places. Just to clarify the files are named correctly.

GrimReaper

Based on:

On 4/3/2024 at 2:49 AM, XDXJX said:

The affected movie is within the "Native" folder along with other single file movies

and

On 4/2/2024 at 8:15 PM, XDXJX said:
/volume1/Video/Movies 4K/Native/Justice League-Part1.mkv

You're not following recommended split video files structure:

Split video files (file stacking)

The following are default stacking extensions that can be added to file names. # can be 1 through 9 or A through D. Stacking is supported for video files (but only when each video is in its own folder as in the example below) as well as dvd and blu-ray folder structures. Split videos require all parts be in the same movie folder with no other videos present in that folder

• part#
  • cd#
  • dvd#
  • pt#
  • disk#
  • disc#

You can also use:

• moviename#.ext

Where # can be A through D.

Examples:

\Movies\Avatar (2009)\Avatar (2009)-cd1.mkv
\Movies\Avatar (2009)\Avatar (2009)-cd2.mkv

I'd suggest moving those parts in their own movie folder, i.e.

/volume1/Video/Movies 4K/Native/Justice League (2017)/Justice League (2017)-Part1.mkv

/volume1/Video/Movies 4K/Native/Justice League (2017)/Justice League (2017)-Part2.mkv

In any case:

1 hour ago, XDXJX said:

Not showing on the Nvidia Shield.

AndroidTV app does not list additional part(s) - it never did - as Web App does, but it will play them in sequence, i.e. Part2 will automatically start playing upon Part1 ends, they're just not exposed in the UI. 

XDXJX
Posted (edited)

Moving it to a separate folder did the trick. What's weird though is that it worked fine without the extra folder for months, until recently. Anyhow it's fine now.

Thanks for help!

Edited by XDXJX

XDXJX

Unfortunately spoke too soon, I went back to the full name of the movie and the issue is back.

I have it in it's separate folder (also dropped the Native, Upscaled folders):

/volume1/Video/Movies 4K/Zack Snyder's Justice League (2021)/Zack Snyder's Justice League (2021)-Part1.mkv

/volume1/Video/Movies 4K/Zack Snyder's Justice League (2021)/Zack Snyder's Justice League (2021)-Part2.mkv

Nvidia Shield just plays the part2 first then part1, in the browser I can see Part1 file under Additional Parts.

3 hours ago, XDXJX said:

Unfortunately spoke too soon, I went back to the full name of the movie and the issue is back.

/volume1/Video/Movies 4K/Zack Snyder's Justice League (2021)/Zack Snyder's Justice League (2021)-Part1.mkv

/volume1/Video/Movies 4K/Zack Snyder's Justice League (2021)/Zack Snyder's Justice League (2021)-Part2.mkv

Nvidia Shield just plays the part2 first then part1, in the browser I can see Part1 file under Additional Parts.

We'll look into why part2 is getting sorted before part1. That's very odd and I've never seen that before. Please note that even once we resolve this, for the best experience possible we still recommend joining the files. Once you do that, then all of the nuances of multi-part videos go away.

GrimReaper
7 hours ago, XDXJX said:

Cannot reproduce, getting proper file stacking, Part1 with Part2 listed as Additional parts.

image.png.97237d6bbf22649e190740c753f3a80d.png

image.png.e9755f57791248251c3549820f50ad9b.png

image.thumb.png.98bc87c3ec6d2153d942ad882b32afb9.png

• Thanks 1

Happy2Play

Wasn't able to reproduce part order issue reported here either.

• Thanks 1

I know why it's happening though, thanks.

XDXJX
23 hours ago, Luke said:

I know why it's happening though, thanks.

That's good news! What's the solution?

3 minutes ago, XDXJX said:

That's good news! What's the solution?

For now, to wait while it's being looked into.

XDXJX
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

For now, to wait while it's being looked into.

👍

XDXJX

A little side question: Any practical reason why the Android TV app is not showing the Additional Parts?

7 minutes ago, XDXJX said:

A little side question: Any practical reason why the Android TV app is not showing the Additional Parts?

No other reason than it just hasn't been done yet. It's one of those things that should be done, but there are seemingly always other things more important to work on that will benefit more people.

And that goes back to my suggestion of joining the files. The goal of course is to make the multiple parts all feel like one big video, but it's more of a "good enough" tradeoff rather than having it feel exactly the same. That's why even once this small issue is resolved, you'll still get a better experience from joining the files.

XDXJX
17 minutes ago, Luke said:

And that goes back to my suggestion of joining the files. The goal of course is to make the multiple parts all feel like one big video, but it's more of a "good enough" tradeoff rather than having it feel exactly the same. That's why even once this small issue is resolved, you'll still get a better experience from joining the files.

Any easy way to fix the chapters though?

XDXJX
17 minutes ago, Luke said:

What chapters?

When you dump a movie with makemkv each part of the multidisk movie has its own set of chapters, after joining the video streams chapters get messed up. As in the screenshot, Disk 2 chapter 1 starts at time 0:00:00 but there is already chapter 1 from disk1 starting at 0:00:00. Same with chapter 2, etc.

chapters.png

8 minutes ago, XDXJX said:

When you dump a movie with makemkv each part of the multidisk movie has its own set of chapters, after joining the video streams chapters get messed up. As in the screenshot, Disk 2 chapter 1 starts at time 0:00:00 but there is already chapter 1 from disk1 starting at 0:00:00. Same with chapter 2, etc.

chapters.png

What are you joining them with? Try mkvtoolnix. I haven't used it in a while but I don't recall running into that back when i did.

XDXJX
1 hour ago, Luke said:

What are you joining them with? Try mkvtoolnix. I haven't used it in a while but I don't recall running into that back when i did.

Unfortunately it's not that easy, mkvtoolnix doesn't combine chapters when merging mkv files. However I have figured out how to do it manually. A bit of elbow grease and it's done. If anyone's interested I am attaching the chapter files.

I have used gmkvextractgui to extract individual chapter files as xml and then used mkvtoolnix's Chapter Editor to offset the times and rename disk2 chapters, then finally save as a single xml file.

When merging MKVs specify the chapter file in the output tab.

Voila

Zack Snyder's Justice League (2021)-Part1_chapters.xml Zack Snyder's Justice League (2021)-Part2_chapters.xml combined.xml