Can media have external an URL?

JGale

JGale

Hey,

I expect this has been asked before, but search is failing me.

Is there a way to provide public URLs for media content to my Emby server? So I could send them a link to example.com/movies/WeddingVideo, or example.com/series/ThatShowWeMadeS1E3. They'd still need to login, so maybe it's a deep link, but it would be really convenient if I can send people direct links to content.

visproduction

I believe that Emby locks out all links to anyone who is not logged in.  This is a security feature.

Although possible, it is not really advisable to mix any separate promotional video links to any custom pages in with the Emby server.  Anytime there is an upgrade, your tacked in website could be removed or other issues could come up.

A cleaner solution would be to post the videos either online at another website host where you have access.  I believe some of the free cloud services allow sharing video files and they even give you a custom link to send to friends.

---

Very advanced
You could start a second server completely separate from Emby and put in your own promotional designed website that you control. 

Example:
Search for: IIS server setup windows

There are many steps and videos to watch.  This would give you a IP address access for anyone to view who receives an exact you send to them.  You can even create a password access in several different ways.  But, this is an entire website creation and has all sorts of security and firewall setup steps.  Plus there is no easy way to really prevent people from downloading media content.  So, you would not really want to have full media content available with a IIS server, without creating a member access.  Obviously, cloud links to media is far eaiser.  A IIS server would only be active when your server is on and mobile and tablet users do have a harder time to reach an IP address.  You could go for another SSL certificate to make it eaiser for people to reach your site.  That really gets far too deep to solve just getting some demo links out for users.

Hope that helps.

darkassassin07

If you're viewing a piece of content (not playing, just viewing its details); you can copy the url in your browser and share it with another user. As long as their browser is logged in, it'll open the same page.

Personally I use FileBrowser to share files outside of Emby. Browse to any file, click share; optionally add a password. Anyone with the link (+password) can view/download.

• Like 1

JGale

@visproductionI'm ok with requiring a login state, and I'm already running IIS with SSL. (Considering switching to nginx, but that's a separate topic). It also doesn't need to be professional, as my current use case is sending videos to guys in a small group if they miss a week.

Thinking out loud... it would probably be better to use IIS to translate URLs. So I send a link to example.com/movies/ThisWeek, and it's translated into example.com/web/index.html#!/item?id=11259&serverId=daae7e849c95443fb4dbf76b3d637e0

@darkassassin07thanks for the link, I've been looking for a filesharing option.

• Like 1