basic NAS?

macv

macv

Any recs for a basic NAS? Some considerations:

• M.2 or USB flash drive is sufficient, main criteria is just to have always-on access for Emby Server, even a 256GB SD card is enough storage.
    • if I plug in my USB-A external HDD, will it power down when not used, or spin 24/7?
  • since I don't need bays, smaller is better
  • if no direct options exist (saw the Asustor 12-slot version but I just need 1 slot), is Raspberry Pi the best option for low price / small size / low power?
  • want to be capable of playing 4K HDR files; would Raspberry Pi be powerful enough, if having to DIY?

RanmaCanada

No a Pi would not be powerful enough if you need to transcode.  If you can directplay, yes, but any transcoding and it will barf.  If you're in the USA look on ebay for used micro systems from Dell, Lenovo of HP that have at least an 8th gen processor. I would suggest something like this. The core i3-8100T uses 35 watts at peak, and has full quicksync capabilities.  It can hardware decode and encode x265 10bit. As it's a full PC (but the size of your average pocket book) you don't have to worry about ARM garbage, and can install whatever the heck you want on it.

Conversely you can use the build guides at serverbuilds forums to make something from used parts.

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

Definitely not a pi.  

I run truenas on an old xeon with a nvidia pascal gpu for transcoding.  Heck, theoretically you can use an amd rx 480 to transcode and you can get those cheap.  It doesn't have to be fancy for truenas.

No external drives and then they are raided.  If you've ever had your collection on a drive go bad and have to re-rip everything you'll appreciate the redundancy.