Movie with AC3 True HD audio won't direct play?

SynesthesiaBruh

SynesthesiaBruh

[Apple TV 4K, Model: A2169, TvOS: 17.4, Emby Server 4.8.3]

Hi,

So. I don't think any Apple TV supports TrueHD audio but... I have a bunch of movies with TrueHD audio that direct play no issue. So I believed as long as the TrueHD is in the "AC3" format the movie's audio would direct play as this has been my experience IIRC.

However right now the audio for Austin Powers: IMOM is being transcoded. Or sort of. When I first start playing the movie Emby says the audio is direct playing. However once I pause the movie, Emby says it's transcoding. I'm assuming there's just a bug/delay and it never direct plays.

Emby shows a TrueHD AC3:

image.png.c02bf819914d82ed4ed9a60432fc8b2e.png

However MediaInfo show MLP FBA:

image.thumb.png.195446fb01d96b7bd9961f68546d7050.png

The Wiki says AC3 is supported:

https://emby.media/support/articles/Apple-TV.html

I don't really know what I'm talking about. I'm assuming TrueHD audio is usually in AC3 format and will in fact direct play to an Apple TV but sometimes maybe for older movies the TrueHD audio is in MLP FBA format. MLP FBA is unsupported by Apple TV so Emby is transcoding it into AC3 which is supported.

Or am I wrong? Anyone know what's going on?

Edited by SynesthesiaBruh

Happy2Play

Very few devices actually support TrueHD.  But ac3 (Dolby Digital) and TrueHD are totally different.

But TrueHD is a codec just like AC3 and DTS are codecs.  Sure there are other factors with core tracks.

image.png.a1b09332deddfaefbfc444fb8115887c.png

image.png.9945244b940fbb67d9fd2b0a8e7d5491.png

AppleTV is limited no TrueHD

image.png.477f727c21b7eb4d47f8ba3e1c2dace5.png

Mulderkekou

I have the same problem with Dolby TrueHD with Dolby Atmos... Normally it should be direct play,  Apple TV should turns Dolby TrueHD into LPCM (without Atmos).

For example, the DTS-HD MA is OK (no transcode). But with Dolby TrueHD there is a conversion. And strangely on my TrueHD files, if there are subtitles it also transcodes the video...

TrueHD.jpg

DTS-HD MA.jpg

Edited by Mulderkekou

Mulderkekou

I disabled transcoding in the server settings. Now Dolby True-HD is direct playing.

TrueHD2.jpg

Edited by Mulderkekou

Happy2Play

I will guess mileage will vary as with device truly supports it or not.  But it will either play or will not per the settings.