Search on Apple TV App Suddenly Does Not Work

JosephCameron

JosephCameron

Two days ago, the searching function on the Emby app on my Apple TV 4K suddenly stopped working. If I type in keywords or even just select the suggested keywords under the search, it searches without ever finding anything.

Search works fine on my iPhone. I think this is related to a recent app update. I believe it worked fine until I closed the app, it autoupdated, and then the search function stopped working when I reopened the app. I have restarted my Apple TV and the Emby server (4.8.3.0), and I still cannot search.

I supposed I should add that I can manually scroll for items, and that works fine.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

JosephCameron

I should amend my description slightly.

I just performed a search for the film "Broker", which worked. However, subsequent searches did not work. 

Two things I noticed this time:

1. Subsequent searches went on interminably. After returning to the home screen and then back to the search screen, the search I previously attempted still seemed to be ongoing.
  2. Search would only be successful after exiting out of the app and then reopening it. Even then, the only result I could get was for that film "Broker", no matter how many words I entered into the search.

benpicard

Hello, just visited the forums to say this: search on my apple tv 4k doesn't work anymore since the last update i think.

Exact same behaviour : If I type in keywords or even just select the suggested keywords under the search, it searches (the little search animation is working) without ever finding anything

Still works on other devices.

Edited by benpicard
  • Agree 2

Errando

Sadly enough I am not an admin on the server. The server is owned by my brother in law. 

I did try to reproduce the error on a clean Emby docker installation. This didn't result in the same behavior, so there is a link between amount of data and this problem.
I also tried using text to speech or pasting complete terms into the Apple TV Emby Search, but this still resulted in  the same error of continuesly waiting for seach results.  

I did discover that if you search for a term which doesn't exist it will behave correctly, for example the search term: "qx" 

When you paste complete terms which have a space in it this will properly work. So term: "Star Trek" works and yields proper results, the term: "Space" does not result in any result.

Searching for space + search term doesn't work as work around

@benpicard @JosephCameronDo you guys have access to the server logs? 

Is there anything else I can do/test to help? 

Edited by Errando
extra testing results

OK yes I think we will need some involvement from the server admin. Thanks.

benpicard
On 10/04/2024 at 15:18, Luke said:

OK yes I think we will need some involvement from the server admin. Thanks.

Search is back in the last ATV client update.