Trouble Creating New Sub-Folders within Movie Library

smody121
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

smody121

Sorry if this has been asked, not sure exactly how to narrow the search on the forum.

I'm having a simple but frustrating to solve issue, it must be something I'm overlooking. I have organized my movies on a Synology NAS and downloaded and setup Emby to play them. Everything has been functioning perfectly fine, until I tried to create another sub folder within my Movie Library, it's not properly getting recognized by Emby. My NAS sees it no problem, but for some reason it's not getting recognized by Emby. I am using Prowlarr + Radarr which I believe has something to do with it since I've followed the Emby setup Wiki and confirmed the configuration is fine (I think).

What's odd now is that when I create a new folder in my NAS, I expect the folder to pop up on Emby a few moments later. Instead I'm getting a movie that most closely approximates the name of my new folder that randomly drops in instead. So for example, I created a folder in my NAS called "Test" and stuck a random movie in it. When I re-opened the emby site and refreshed the folder, it brought in a movie named Test and did not recognize the new folder. If I copy that same movie (that I placed in the "Test" folder) into any other existing sub-folder in my Movie Library, Emby recognizes it fine. So I've been dumping everything in existing folders to make this all work, but it shouldn't be this hard to create a new one that Emby will recognize without having to rebuild the whole Library.

If this rings a bell for anyone I'd really appreciate help. I haven't figured out how to understand how to read the logs yet so not sure how to use those to my advantage.

HI there, can you please provide a specific example? Thanks.

smody121

Thanks for the reply, I believe it might be related to my file structure as I'm coming in from a Windows Explorer folder system where I had my Entertainment/Movies/Action/Rambo.mvk type of setup. I'm not sure if that's a compatible structure with Emby, doesn't seem to like it that much. I have recorded a video so you could see what I mean, hopefully this helps:

Happy2Play

Sort of expected as that is the CollapseSingleItemFolders option but would have to compare it to say one of the other movie folders.  As your other movie named folders show just folder so would need to see the content of one of them. 

So just choosing one what is in "The Lion King (1994)" folder?

smody121

Thanks for the reply, is there an article somewhere I can read on the best way to structure my media for maximum compatibility with Emby as opposed to the CollapseSingleItemFolders?

To answer your question, the The Lion King folder was actually empty (as were most of the single film folders in the Movies folder). I had pulled those to put into a folder called "Feel Good" which none of the software liked. After reading your post, I put the Lion King back in its original folder and Radar picked it up as did Emby's metadata as you can see from the attached image, which was taken after moving the .mvk file back to its original folder. I created two arrows, one how the folder used to look and a second with the current folder now including the metadata. Hope that was clear enough. EmbyTesting.thumb.JPG.6e6770faa6d731e1bc0ee20f6a66a8c2.JPG

Happy2Play

But the point being "CollapseSingleItemFolders", one item in folder loose folder layer.  Two items in folder creates folder layer.

But Emby's new method should be doing exactly what you want but may need to delete and readd the library as that is its new default method of what you want and other don't want.

Like here does not want the behavior you want.

There are two hidden switches.

Master switch in system.xml that can override library options but are both now false on new installs.

system.xml

<CollapseVideoFolders>false</CollapseVideoFolders>

per library unfortunately the library options.xml is obsolete and has to be changed via the API or directly in the database.

<CollapseSingleItemFolders>false</CollapseSingleItemFolders>

Hi, yes, removing the library and creating a new one should give you exactly what you want.

smody121
Posted (edited)

Thanks for the help guys. I ended up starting from scratch and creating a docker in Synology DSM to contain all of the apps, downloader and Emby so they play together nicely and it worked well. Used the TRaSH guides folder naming convention and it (was) working well.

Now I'm having the straightforward problem of not being able to connect to the Emby server anymore. I have tried deleting the Emby container and recreating it but still can't get back to connecting to the app. Is there a log I can attach to show what is happening?

Emby Testing2.JPG

Edited by smody121

Hi, are you sure Emby server is running? What address is in the browser address bar?

smody121

The ip of my NAS 10.0.0.42:8085

Which was working fine before today. Changed the default HTTP local port from 8096.

3 hours ago, smody121 said:

The ip of my NAS 10.0.0.42:8085

Which was working fine before today. Changed the default HTTP local port from 8096.

Is any emby server log file generated?

Emby Server Data Folder

Also, why not just stick to the default ports?

smody121

Here is the latest embyserver log attached.

Honestly I changed the default ports due to my lack of networking knowledge and trusted the few tutorials I saw online who said they do it to reduce the chances of any hacks, is that not true?

embyserver.txt

Yes that is generally a good thing to do if you know what you're doing. This log looks OK to me. Maybe the server just hadn't completed starting up yet?

smody121

Hah, yes hopefully one day I can count myself as someone who knows what they're doing.

Just reset the page and tried again and this is the error:

Emby Testing3.JPG

Happy2Play

Per your log you are no longer on the 10.x.x.x network.

2024-04-04 11:16:12.079 Info NetworkManager: Detected local ip addresses: [{"IPAddress":"172.17.0.2","HasGateWayAddress":true,"PrefixLength":16,"IPv4Mask":"255.255.0.0"},{"IPAddress":"127.0.0.1","HasGateWayAddress":false,"PrefixLength":8,"IPv4Mask":"255.0.0.0"}]

So try either of those.

• Solution

Also 8085 is your http port, not your https, so you can't use https on port 8085.

smody121

It was the simple removal of the https (to Like's point) in the URL and I'm back in business.

Apologies for the confusion and wasting of anyone's time but I certainly learned a lot throughout this whole process.

• Thanks 1