Upcoming TV very slow to load

Trevor68

Trevor68

Using 4.8.3 server upcoming TV episodes take forever to load on android client, to the point where I just give up waiting, for the web client about a full minute before they load. Server 4.7 is instant in either. 

Screenshot 2024-03-30 070535.png

embyserver.txt

• Agree 3

Happy2Play

Yes as it has to hit your Cache and on demand from provider to show you Upcome/future episodes.  Where in 4.7 everything was in the database but was removed in 4.8.

Trevor68
Posted (edited)

Right, so basically yet another design decision that is totally unworkable then. So glad I kept 4.7 as my main server.

Edited by Trevor68
  • Agree 2

Spaceboy

page doesnt load at all for me. it may as well be removed

Happy2Play

Not sure why it queries so often as I would think one a week would be more than enough.  But will guess it is system or how many series one has on the list but only takes no more than 15 seconds here.

LongMan

Why not make this an optional feature, if having it slows the system so much. Maybe some of us are willing to give it up.

• Agree 1

Happy2Play

That catch 22 as already cached load instantly.  Personally think the system may be too aggressive hitting TVDB.  But that is a guess on my part.

Lessaj

You can tail the server log as the Upcoming page is loading and see all the requests being made, it can certainly take some time if you have a lot of shows that are still recurring and haven't ended yet.

Trevor68
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Spaceboy said:

page doesnt load at all for me. it may as well be removed

That's my experience on any android client too. 

Given it literally doesn't work for a lot of the time I think it would be best to enable a radio button to allow those who choose to cache the info. 

I understand a lot of other stuff being dumped to trim the DB, but at least let us have this? 

What say you @Luke

Edited by Trevor68
  • Agree 1

JoLarsson

For me it takes about 30 seconds to load in Edge and I have about 300 series or so...
Personally I'm fine with it because I know it takes time and I use it as a reminder for upcoming seasons to get.

For my users I would say useless, 30 seconds is way to long, they would have backed out within 10 seconds.

It would be nice if there was a scheduled task for this so you could run it maybe once a week or set it to what you want.

Edited by JoLarsson

esp1818

I have the same issue. Before version 4.8.x the Upcoming tab used to display instantly. Now it sits blank for about 30 seconds. The first time using it after the update I thought it was broken because it took so long to populate.

Hi, yes we can look at improving this. Thanks.

Trevor68

Cool, as I just timed the web app, it was a bit over a minute of spinny blue circle. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
JediMedia

@Lukewhy not use the schedule to pre call the upcoming  and save it into the Cache/DB. it is not that the upcoming changes every second to call the TVDB on the fly. for someone who has a very large media, this could take forever. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

HI, yes we are looking into imrpoving it. Thanks for the feedback.

Happy2Play

Seems a lot faster in 4.8.4.0.  But could be the plugin update also.