Some TV Shows Only Show a Few Cast Members

kamhouse

kamhouse

Any idea why some TV shows will only show a few of the cast members at the top level series page instead of all the cast listed in the respective thetvdb.com listing?

A metadata refresh doesn't seem to help.

As an example, Smallville is showing Tom Welling, Erica Durance, Cassidy Freeman, and Justin Hartley. That's it.

Heartland is only showing Amber Marshall, Graham Wardle, and Shaun Johnston.

Their pages on thetvdb show a lot more cast members at the top level, as expected.

https://thetvdb.com/series/smallville#castcrew

https://thetvdb.com/series/heartland-2007-ca

Happy2Play

What is your library metadata provider order?

Last I checked I think they are showing all people from all episodes directly on the series screen.

GrimReaper
1 hour ago, kamhouse said:

As an example, Smallville is showing Tom Welling, Erica Durance, Cassidy Freeman, and Justin Hartley. That's it.

Smalville returns only those 4 Actors/Cast at show level, the rest is Crew.

Smallville - TMDB

1 hour ago, kamhouse said:

Heartland is only showing Amber Marshall, Graham Wardle, and Shaun Johnston.

Ditto for Heartland, only 3 Actors/Cast listed.

Heartland - TMDb

If you want more actors shown at series level, put TVDB as top-preferred meta-fetcher and Refresh Metadata.

• Agree 1

kamhouse
42 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Smalville returns only those 4 Actors/Cast at show level, the rest is Crew.

Smallville - TMDB

Ditto for Heartland, only 3 Actors/Cast listed.

Heartland - TMDb

If you want more actors shown at series level, put TVDB as top-preferred meta-fetcher and Refresh Metadata.

Looking at their web interface shows them all listed as Cast, why would the API be returning something different, I wonder?

https://www.themoviedb.org/tv/4604-smallville/cast

kamhouse
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, kamhouse said:

Looking at their web interface shows them all listed as Cast, why would the API be returning something different, I wonder?

I think I found a possible reason. When you go into the edit screen, Season 10 shows just those four characters. Other seasons show a more. So Emby or else the API isn't pulling a full series list of characters like the web page is doing.

image.thumb.png.fa2daa0b58a630d0ae01fce984fd9cfb.png

Edited by kamhouse

GrimReaper
10 minutes ago, kamhouse said:

TMDB API never returns all the cast listed on the web on series level.

7 minutes ago, kamhouse said:

the API isn't pulling a full series list of characters like the web page is doing.

It doesn't do that for any series.

kamhouse
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

TMDB API never returns all the cast listed on the web on series level.

It doesn't do that for any series.

Maybe it should. https://developer.themoviedb.org/reference/tv-series-aggregate-credits

Of course if you implement that, you might want to limit the number of displayed cast to the first 30 or so entries. Unless the system can handle 604 cast from a show like Smallville without bogging down.

Edited by kamhouse

GrimReaper
38 minutes ago, kamhouse said:

I would assume userbase would be split in half about such feature (as it so often is), not everyone wants to see that many cast on series level - and there's already order of preferred meta-providers which can somewhat mitigate those scenarios. 

Edited by GrimReaper

Gilgamesh_48

This is another place for options to be available. 
I do not care at all about who is playing in a show and if I happen to want to know my computer's search functionality can provide more and better info than Emby ever could. 
I do understand that some people, maybe a lot, want full cast info. I am just not one of those.
It seems that some of Emby's internal overhead could be reduced if we never even tried to get cast info. 
To make that happen it would need to be an option. Something like:
1. Get full cast info, if available. []
2. Get limited cast info []
3. Do not get cast info. []

I know this is very unlikely to happen but Emby should always keep in mind that there are customers of theirs that simply want Emby to present media for playback and provide the info necessary to identify the video and little to nothing beyond that. 

Unfortunately I cannot do what I want by the simple expedient of including or excluding various fetchers.

Note: I do not want the data removed, too many people really like it, I just want Emby to keep in mind that some people do not want their interface cluttered up with a bunch of trivia. That is why I suggest options. Of course every time a option gets added the complexities of programming and maintenance go up and I think it is an exponential increase.

Just provide options wherever you can and most of your customers will be relatively happy. Of course my relatives do not usually produce happiness. ;) 

Happy2Play

Personally, would not agree with getting all people listed per TMDB as they are guest stars per episode not overal cast members.

This call differs from the main credits call in that it does not return the newest season. Instead, it is a view of all the entire cast & crew for all episodes belonging to a TV show.

Emby will only get CAST/PEOPLE from first provider.  So if TMDB list 4 and TVDB list 10 you get 4.  As goes for any provider and this is usually a is with OMDB as they limit people it seems.

Edited by Happy2Play