Emby folder images no longer show up in 4.8.3

colinr50

colinr50

Hi,

I have my media in folders - for example, Films, TV, Documetaries, etc. Inside the folders I have the various series or films and have an image called folder.jpg.

Up until Emby 4.7.x these images always showed up as the folder image, rather than the collage. Since updating to Emby 4.8.3, these images are ignored and each folder image shows as a collage.

Is there something I can do to stop Emby overriding the folder images?

Thanks

colinr50

I have exactly the same problem since updating from 4.7 to 4.8.3

@colinr50Hi there, can you please describe the issue that you're having? Thanks !

Can you also please provide a specific example? thanks !

colinr50

I have a folder named TV. Inside that folder are some subfolders containing  TV series. Also inside the main folder is a file named folder.jpg.  Before updating to Emby 4.8, this image (folder.jpg) appeared as the image for the main folder (rather than the usual collage). Now there is always a collage and this image is ignored.

Yesterday, I set the folder image manually (using the folder.jpg image) but as soon as the libraries updated as a scheduled task, the folder.jpg image was replaced with a collage.

Thanks for your help.

Happy2Play

Still not sure what you are talking about it is a Library or a folder within the library?  But since you mention collage images I will guess library but specific examples are needed.

None of my custom library images have changed but there are no folder images in the library for libraries either.

colinr50
Posted (edited)

Sorry if that was confusing. Here's an example:

On my computer I have a folder called TV. Inside that folder are some subfolders - e.g., Breaking Bad, Mad Men, etc, containing the various seasons - and there is also an image called folder.jpg inside the main TV folder.

Up until Emby 4.7, I'd create a library from the TV folder.  When the TV library was scanned, folder.jpg would automatically be picked up as the image for that library.

In Emby 4.8.3, this image is not picked up during the scan and a collage is created instead.

One further point. If I go to "edit image" for that library, I can choose a local version of folder.jpg and it correctly becomes the library image. However, later, when there is a scan of the library as a scheduled task, the folder.jpg image is replaced by a collage.

Curiously, if I then reselect folder.jpg as the library image and do a manual library scan, rather than a scheduled scan, folder.jpg remains there and is not replaced by a collage.

Hope that's clearer.

Edited by colinr50

Happy2Play

Sorry but I don't follow as folder.jpg in a Library is not read as assigned image do not reside within parent library folder.

image.png.3006431cb10fdbc1249db4d16a099106.png

Don't mind the old obsolete files.

image.png.b34652f1d9728ebf335e405759ae106e.png

Now yes Folder view will honor images in parent folder.

image.thumb.png.c1e494e6d80aef16a38070c371a15d52.png

34 minutes ago, colinr50 said:

One further point. If I go to "edit image" for that library, I can choose a local version of folder.jpg and it correctly becomes the library image. However, later, when there is a scan of the library as a scheduled task, the folder.jpg image is replaced by a collage.

Curiously, if I then reselect folder.jpg as the library image and do a manual library scan, rather than a scheduled scan, folder.jpg remains there and is not replaced by a collage.

Hope that's clearer.

Need to see the server log for this as I know I can't reproduce.

colinr50

Not sure if I understand now.

Where exactly should folder.jpg be located in order to be picked up as the library image? In my setup, folder.jpg is in the parent folder (TV) and has always been picked up in versions before 4.8.

Happy2Play

At least for me parent folder images have never worked for library images and when I manually assign them, they are saved in Emby/programdata/root/default/libraryname folder.

colinr50

OK. Well, no idea why they should have  always worked for me in the parent folder in previous versions but not for you.

Thanks anyway for your time.

I'd be grateful if anyone else can help.

10 hours ago, colinr50 said:

Not sure if I understand now.

Where exactly should folder.jpg be located in order to be picked up as the library image? In my setup, folder.jpg is in the parent folder (TV) and has always been picked up in versions before 4.8.

Hi, why not just use the web interface to set the image that you want for the library?

colinr50

Hi Luke,

Because I have almost 30 different libraries, so it's much easier to do what I've always done and have the folder.jpg image already present inside each library and detected as the library image.

Also (and I'm fairly sure somebody else wrote about this), if I set folder.jpg from the web interface, whenever there is a scheduled library scan, the image is (frustratingly) replaced by a collage.

Is there some reason why folder.jpg is no longer scanned as the folder image when the library is created (which it was until version 4.8) ?

Thanks.

Happy2Play
13 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, why not just use the web interface to set the image that you want for the library?

Has Emby ever supported folder image for My Media Libraries?

Custom Library images have always resided in /root/default/libraryname folder, correct?

colinr50

As I said, folder images in libraries have always been scanned in up until 4.8.

Interestingly, having once again had all my folder images replaced with collages following  a scheduled library scan,  I thought I'd try setting folder images from a URL. I've had a couple of schedule library scans and this time the folder images have  survived the scan.

Happy2Play
12 minutes ago, colinr50 said:

As I said, folder images in libraries have always been scanned in up until 4.8.

Not sure as I can not get folder image for Library to be used in 4.6/4.7/4.8/4.9.  So I asked the dev.

But can say folder.jpg is used on every folder I have in Emby ie per folder view.  But Library and folder and not the same.

@colinr50can you please show us a specific example of one of these images in your file system? I would like to see a screenshot of the folder as well as a screenshot of Emby library setup for that library. Thanks !

colinr50
Posted (edited)

These are the two images I use depending on whether it's for TV or Films. Once they are inside the main folder they are named folder.jpg. I then create a library and select, for example, the folder named TV (containing a few subfolders, which all scan in correctly). The file folder.jpg is ignored and a collage is created.

I'm not quite sure how to screenshot the library setup. I basically just select the folder and that's it. I don't really do any other settings, except selecting a language in the case of non-English stuff.

favorite-atv.tv.jpg

favorite-atv.movies4.jpg

Edited by colinr50

@colinr50can you please provide this:

I would like to see a screenshot of the folder as well as a screenshot of Emby library setup for that library. Thanks !