Android TV app?

lightsout

lightsout

Will there be an app or version of the app specifically for android TV? Or will the standard app be fine. Looking forward to testing MB out when my nexus player ships.

MrWebsmith

Yep!

The existing android app is getting a larger/television/10ft layout profile with new views to accommodate these other devices. it is currently in alpha testing.

Yep!

The existing android app is getting a larger/television/10ft layout profile with new views to accommodate these other devices. it is currently in alpha testing.

I think he was talking specifically about the new standardized layouts for "Android TV".  The new version in testing doesn't have that (yet) but we do plan to have it.

Macburp

I think he was talking specifically about the new standardized layouts for "Android TV".  The new version in testing doesn't have that (yet) but we do plan to have it.

Does this mean the new 10ft app won't run on Android TV? I'm seriously thinking of getting one of these to replace my xbox - but not a nexus player as it has no ethernet. I could always cast to the box - but an app would be much better.

fantaxp7

Does this mean the new 10ft app won't run on Android TV? I'm seriously thinking of getting one of these to replace my xbox - but not a nexus player as it has no ethernet. I could always cast to the box - but an app would be much better.

It WILL run on Android TV. I too am waiting for something other than the Nexus.

I think it will but that might depend on how the store works on Android TV.  Red may need to mark it as compatible.  I don't see it in the Android TV store right now...

fantaxp7

I think it will but that might depend on how the store works on Android TV.  Red may need to mark it as compatible.  I don't see it in the Android TV store right now...

Yea I guess my WILL was a bit too strong of a statement, rather it is the intention of the developer for his app to work on Android TV :P

• Like 1

ryantiger658

Is it possible to mark Media Browser as compatible with the Nexus Player Device? You can install many apps on Android TV through the web browser on your computer, but it says that the Nexus Player is incompatible. Many of these apps are pretty buggy still as they are not optimized for Android TV yet, but it is really nice to have the option of having them on there. As an example I installed SeriesGuide on my Nexus Player, and got it mostly configured, even though it is not in the Android TV Play Store yet. 

Tl;dr: Is is possible to mark the MB app as compatible without submitting it to the store yet so that we can install the current version?

I am also happy to help with this in any way. I have a Nexus Player, and I am a developer. I have been following this project since it was just a wee little tot running through Windows Media Center, and I am really excited to see how far it has come!

Thanks! 

Sounds good thanks guys. I too was disappointed there was no Ethernet. But I'm a sucker for anything nexus.

Actually....

http://www.androidcentral.com/about-nexus-player-and-usb-support

The Nexus Player works with external storage and USB ethernet
  • Like 2