STRM files not appearing after updating to 4.8.3.0

nuentes

nuentes

I was perfectly happy with 4.7.11 on my Linux server. Until the Emby Android app suddenly stopped working with that version. So I updated to 4.8.3.0. I have a few tv shows that are scanned by Emby where every episode is STRM files. Emby will tell me that I have unwatched episodes, but when I click the episode, I get a screen that says "Content no longer available." I can click on the series, and the series loads just fine, showing all the seasons along with unwatched status. New unwatched episodes are even getting processed, but I'm unable to actually preview them in Emby.

An example from the Continue Watching widget:

image.png.463934c66b9fd07ac1e93caea873b383.png

If I Click the series:

image.thumb.png.dfecaff8b6310208704311ccbdd5285b.png

The current "season":

image.thumb.png.80b078fc0f31152acc3486295fad38e3.png

If I click the unwatched episode (either from Continue Watching, or from the season list):

image.png.62cde32c9d3130e73be07e2df5906544.png

This is the case for all of the STRM shows that I have (maybe 20). The episodes appear in all contexts, except for viewing the details for the episode itself. I believe this is also preventing Emby For Kodi Next Gen from scanning these files, as I've noticed that these are not syncing onto Kodi as well.

Hi, have you tried running a library scan?

nuentes

The logfile is way too big for pastebin, so I had to put it in google drive.

There's an obscene amount of this log: "Info App: Sqlite: 284 - automatic index on itemlinksexcludeinheritedtagids(ItemId)"

The click into the episode node occurred at: 2024-03-27 19:53:14.147. Here's the line, for your convenience.

2024-03-27 19:53:14.147 Error Server: Error processing request
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 4.8.3.0
	Command line: /opt/emby-server/system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /var/lib/emby -ffdetect /opt/emby-server/bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /opt/emby-server/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /opt/emby-server/bin/ffprobe -restartexitcode 3 -updatepackage emby-server-deb_{version}_amd64.deb
	Operating system: Linux version 5.15.0-100-generic (buildd@lcy02-amd64-116) (gcc (Ubuntu 11.4.0-1ubuntu1~22.04) 11.4.0, GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Ubuntu) 2.38) #110-Ubun
	Framework: .NET 6.0.25
	OS/Process: x64/x64
	Runtime: opt/emby-server/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
	Processor count: 4
	Data path: /var/lib/emby
	Application path: /opt/emby-server/system
	System.ArgumentException: System.ArgumentException: First Section Requires IP-Address Format: omv
	   at EzSmb.Paths.PathSet.Parse(String fullPath)
	   at EzSmb.Node.GetNode(String path, ParamSet paramSet, Boolean isDirectory)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.IO.SmbFileSystem.GetNode(String path, FileSystemCredentials credentials, Boolean isDirectory)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.IO.SmbFileSystem.ReadAllLines(String path)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.IO.ManagedFileSystem.ReadAllLinesAsync(String path, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Library.StrmMounter.FetchShortcutPath(ReadOnlyMemory`1 path, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	Source: Emby.Server.Implementations
	TargetSite: EzSmb.Paths.PathSet Parse(System.String)

Hi there, how many Emby libraries have you created, and what folder paths did you add to each one?

nuentes

Thanks @Luke. These Libraries were pre-existing before the upgrade. I haven't changed anything about my libraries since maybe 2022. I have 4 total libraries, 2 are Movies, 2 are TV. Here are the TV ones:

TV Library:

• /mnt/2TB_1/Completed/TV_Unwatched
  • /mnt/8TB_1/TV_#-F
  • /mnt/16TB_1/TV_G-Z

Youtube Library:

• /mnt/2TB_1/Completed/Youtube

The Youtube folder contains all of my STRM files, but also some local content. The local content within this library is working fine, it is just the STRM content where there is an issue. Everything was fine on 4.7.11. I made no changes, I simply upgraded.

As an additional test, I copied one of my STRM series to, and copied it into my TV Library, and I am seeing the exact same issue.

I zipped one of the STRM series, and I've attached it. Could you try unzipping it, and adding it to your own library?

Oats Studios.zip

jaycedk

Hmmm what plugin is this.

plugin://plugin.video.youtube/play/

Can you enlighten me ? 

Happy2Play

Not sure how they worked in 4.7 as I tested in 4.7 and 4.8 and get the same no compatible stream error.  As I have no idea how that url would work outside of custom coding the same way Emby reads it from an NFO file for trailers (<trailer>plugin://plugin.video.youtube/?action=play_video&amp;videoid=sWofeRh_53g</trailer>).  

Devs would have to comment on how this would ever work for a STRM file.

But all these items show up but are unplayable.  Only thing I saw as some multi-versioning do to date naming scheme.

nuentes

I'm not trying to PLAY the media. I am trying to view the episode information. It is unplayable within Emby, and I know that. That's not what we're discussing. The STRM files play perfectly fine in Kodi. I just want Emby to deliver me the metadata/episode information.

nuentes
40 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Not sure how they worked in 4.7 as I tested in 4.7 and 4.8 and get the same no compatible stream error.

That's not the error I'm reporting, though. I'm not reporting playback issues. Literally just trying to view episode information.

Happy2Play
5 minutes ago, nuentes said:

That's not the error I'm reporting, though. I'm not reporting playback issues. Literally just trying to view episode information.

Sorry I don't follow as the only issue is see is multi-versioning do to date naming scheme.

image.thumb.png.ee87432988fb73319dcb89f3b75713d6.png

image.png.5340131e62a0ad53987484c3da773040.png

nuentes

What the heck. That last screenshot is something I'm completely unable to access. I click on an Episode, and it brings me to the "Content no longer available" screen. But obviously you can open an episode and see metadata for the episode, like airdate/description/episodename/versions/etc.

Happy2Play
20 minutes ago, nuentes said:

What the heck. That last screenshot is something I'm completely unable to access. I click on an Episode, and it brings me to the "Content no longer available" screen. But obviously you can open an episode and see metadata for the episode, like airdate/description/episodename/versions/etc.

This suggests something broke with library path.

Can you test removing the Show from the library, doing a full scan to clear the database, then readd the Show, does that make any difference?

Server log may help also.

Edited by Happy2Play

There's an error trying to read the contents of the strm. When this occurs, it is preventing the screen from displaying anything. This has been resolved for the upcoming 4.8.4 release.

As others have said though, they won't be playable in Emby due to the strm files containing kodi plugin urls.

nuentes
2 hours ago, Luke said:

There's an error trying to read the contents of the strm. When this occurs, it is preventing the screen from displaying anything. This has been resolved for the upcoming 4.8.4 release.

As others have said though, they won't be playable in Emby due to the strm files containing kodi plugin urls.

This explains it. I'm aware they aren't playable within Emby, and that was never something I was trying to change or even discuss in this thread. Thank you for your help!

• Thanks 1

nuentes

what is the ETA for 4.8.4? I'd love to get this resolved. Thank you!