Win 10 Support Ending....

tiff1002

tiff1002

As you may know we do not have that long until win10 stops receiving regular updates.  Eventually it will stop getting security updates.  Sadly Win 11 is not an option for me.  I am using a rackmount box with 2 CPUs and an NVIDIA gpu added on for some extra juice.

In my experience over the years with Emby I have had the best experience running my emby server on a windows box despite normally preferring linux for server tasks.  So I am happy and all set for now, but my box despite being powerful is not able to go to win11 and I doubt they will change that... so I am wondering what I am going to do when that day comes.  Try to secure my environment enough to prevent it from being a security risk?  Get new HW (NO WAY I SPENT TOO MUCH)?  Switch to Linux of some kind for this (whats the best for GPU compatibility)?  Some idea I have not considered?  What are y'all doing if you are in a similar situation.

Anyway, just curious what others are thinking about all this.  There is plenty of time still until win10 will be truly EOL so I am just brainstorming early.  I want to decide on and implement a solution before I HAVE to.

tiff1002

Ikr but that's not the case win11 has been here for some time and current version of 10 is the last and sec updates end next year

Happy2Play
38 minutes ago, Sammy said:

I thought Win10 was the last one ever.

So they said at the time.

1 hour ago, tiff1002 said:

So I am happy and all set for now, but my box despite being powerful is not able to go to win11 and I doubt they will change that... so I am wondering what I am going to do when that day comes.  Try to secure my environment enough to prevent it from being a security risk? 

Well Windows 7 is just hit end of life as provides are securing this sites beyond its TLS/Cipher suite capabilities.

So technically Windows 10 should be good for years but believe once TLS 1.2 is locked down removed it will eliminate Windows 10 as TLS 1.3 was not implemented/supported.

Lessaj

If you're saying that you can't install Windows 11 because of the TPM requirements, you can bypass that. My vote is go Linux but I'm biased. :)

Gilgamesh_48

Ultimately, Windows 10 having a support end date doesn’t really change anything in the here and now. Programs and apps will continue to support Windows 10 for at least a few more years, and users will continue to receive security updates and patches from Microsoft. Even once Microsoft releases Windows 11, the operating system will continue to work properly until well after the initial release, and even past the support end date.

In fact, companies and government organizations continue to support older Windows operating systems like Windows XP and Windows 7, so it’s likely many will still use Windows 10 after its end-of-support date.

https://www.lifewire.com/why-you-shouldnt-worry-about-windows-10s-end-date-5189327

There are a plethora of other articles that say basically "Don't worry.  EOL for Win 10 does not really mean anything."
Having said that I do not intend to pull the "Stick my head in the sand" trick to avoid the issue. 

I upgraded religiously from Windows 3.1 all the way through Windows 10 but no more. This time, if I am still alive and functioning when EOL (true EOL not the little false flags that will be dropped for a long time) gets reached I will switch to Linux or, if my EOL seems near, I will just continue to run as I am. Since I do not use remote connections at all I do not care much about security except for protection except for my browsing being protected, I feel no sense of urgency to upgrade.

I probably should have transitioned to Linux a long time ago but I detest change so I tend to not change anything on purpose unless I am pushed and pulled violently to make those changes happen. 

Also I use DrivePool and i have not found any Linux system that is both as versatile and easy to install and use as DrivePool. I could move now but moving my Library will be the hardest part and i have no real desire to start that tedious time consuming process.

Edited by Gilgamesh_48

tiff1002

Well my lib is all on my truenas scale box so no worries there.  Mine does do remote connections so security is important although the firewall is the main defender.  I'm no stranger to Linux my proxy server that handles SSL for Emby is Linux.  I just know Linux and GPU drivers not always the best time....

Lessaj
4 hours ago, tiff1002 said:

How do you bypass. My machine just says can't do win11

Google it, and test the process in a VM. :) A couple of the methods I found didn't work for me, I -think- this is the one that worked, I tested recently in a fresh VM for when I decide to upgrade my windows VM that I use for gaming. If I remember right I basically just used this bat file and then ran the upgrade assistant.

https://github.com/AveYo/MediaCreationTool.bat/blob/main/bypass11/Skip_TPM_Check_on_Dynamic_Update.cmd

Sammy
7 hours ago, Lessaj said:

Google it, and test the process in a VM. :) A couple of the methods I found didn't work for me, I -think- this is the one that worked, I tested recently in a fresh VM for when I decide to upgrade my windows VM that I use for gaming. If I remember right I basically just used this bat file and then ran the upgrade assistant.

https://github.com/AveYo/MediaCreationTool.bat/blob/main/bypass11/Skip_TPM_Check_on_Dynamic_Update.cmd

Care to explain the process a bit?

I'm not really looking forward to updating to 11 in any case. My 10 setup is running fine and this would just require me to spend needless hours setting everything up all over again. I'm not young any more and every hour I spend doing things I really don't need to do is an hour not spent doing things with family and friends.

Lessaj
3 hours ago, Sammy said:

Care to explain the process a bit?

I'm not really looking forward to updating to 11 in any case. My 10 setup is running fine and this would just require me to spend needless hours setting everything up all over again. I'm not young any more and every hour I spend doing things I really don't need to do is an hour not spent doing things with family and friends.

Sure, I blew away the test VM I had created and did the process again. Installed Windows 10, used the Windows 10 update assistant to ensure it was the latest 22H2 (since my base installer is old), and made sure all windows updates were applied. Running the WIndows 11 update assistant without first running the bat file kept telling to get the PC Health Check app, which I did, and it reported the TPM not detected. Unfortunately it didn't seem that the BAT file worked, nor the other registry entries to try to bypass TPM which you can find with a quick google search. I did this a few weeks ago so I didn't remember exactly what I did to get it to work but I knew I could follow breadcrumbs to figure it out again. 🙂 I undid all the entries that I added and ran the bat file again so it also removed what it did.

After a little more research instead I downloaded the Windows 11 ISO, mounted it, and ran from an admin command prompt:

setup /product server

It says Windows Server but it's not actually. I had installed Windows 10 Pro and after going through the setup now it's Windows 11 Pro.

image.png.10ed0648a5f540c0f3d8e6505010bd2c.png

image.png.fe4f2716702e51816272c45dccb38c58.png

image.png.497e48634bb8b891911161dc81a08268.png

image.png.7a9cbe2a82584d47d578b8c56ed13d45.png

Running the installer without this switch reported incompatibility due to TPM.

image.png.fab61cff73e691ac9a1f6e80e59845cb.png

Again this was done in a fresh VM and not on real hardware, YMMV, but this method should work on real hardware. Overall pretty simple and straightforward.