Roku TV caches wrong subtitle file

Blam84
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Blam84
43 minutes ago, ebr said:

What if you remove that flag?

If I remember correctly, the flag is set by the naming convention of the external file, yes? (Example: Griselda.S01E01.en.forced.srt). I have one file with all english subtitles (xxx.en.srt), and one forced (xxx.en.forced.srt).

Again, they play perfectly on the App and Web versions. I can't see how this is a problem with the files and not Roku, but I am not a Dev. So, how should I troubleshoot this?

• Solution
23 hours ago, Blam84 said:

Thanks for the help. See attached

What about the app log?

Blam84

Sorry, I just sent the app log. I also attached a new ffmpeg log.

• I was playing Griselda S01E03 - Filename Griselda.S01E03.1080p.WEBRip.x265-KONTRAST
    • Forced Subtitle was selected but Roku persists in playing the wrong subtitles
  • Sent the log approximately 8:12pm Eastern Time.
  • User: ericjdaniels

ffmpeg-remux-226e6b24-0452-45fe-af52-3f3fecd9ea56_1.txt

Is there also an embedded subtitle track in this item?

Blam84
6 hours ago, ebr said:

Is there also an embedded subtitle track in this item?

No there is not.

Then I'm not sure how you got any subtitle to show at all in that log you sent...

Blam84
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Then I'm not sure how you got any subtitle to show at all in that log you sent...

I have two external SRT files. One of them is a forced file. 

6 minutes ago, Blam84 said:

I have two external SRT files. One of them is a forced file. 

I understand but the ffmpeg log you sent isn't passing a sub stream at all and it looks like the Roku app cannot find the proper sub stream to select but it is turning on showing of subs.  Just not sure where it is getting the sub stream from...

It is an MP4. The Roku has issues with sending Textual subtitles with the MP4 container.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Solving-playback-issues/Subtitles-for-MP4-file-not-working-on-Roku-media-player/td-p/852886

If you remux that file into an MKV it should playback properly after that and let you choose the subtitles.

Blam84
6 hours ago, ebr said:

I understand but the ffmpeg log you sent isn't passing a sub stream at all and it looks like the Roku app cannot find the proper sub stream to select but it is turning on showing of subs.  Just not sure where it is getting the sub stream from...

I'm not sure where it's getting it either. That is the heart of the problem, and why I sent you the logs. Beyond that, I'm not sure how to help you find a solution.

When I play the file with VLC, no subtitle stream shows as available. When I add the SRT, VLC is able to play it no problem.

From the beginning, through process of elimination, my troubleshooting instincts have told me this is a Roku problem. I'm happy to continue to help troubleshoot, but I'm starting to get bored of the process and at this point it seems easier to just use the fire stick when possible.

My end goal is to make sure to pass along this information about the Roku app so that it can be improved. I much prefer the Roku experience, and I'm disappointed that I may need to shift to the AFS because of issues like this and the stuttering issue I regularly experience. These are both issues that I do not experience using any other platform, and it's pretty clear to me that this is a Roku problem.

Blam84
6 hours ago, speechles said:

It is an MP4. The Roku has issues with sending Textual subtitles with the MP4 container.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Solving-playback-issues/Subtitles-for-MP4-file-not-working-on-Roku-media-player/td-p/852886

If you remux that file into an MKV it should playback properly after that and let you choose the subtitles.

I appreciate the suggestion, but I'm not remuxing files. I have zero problems with this file on every other platform, so it's a Roku/Emby issue, and not an issue with the file.

16 hours ago, Blam84 said:

so it's a Roku/Emby issue, and not an issue with the file.

Well, mp4 just isn't as well supported on some other platforms (Roku in particular).  So you can say it isn't a "problem" with the file but that is a limitation you are placing on yourself by using that format.  It is widely supported on most devices, just not Roku.

Blam84
12 hours ago, ebr said:

Well, mp4 just isn't as well supported on some other platforms (Roku in particular).  So you can say it isn't a "problem" with the file but that is a limitation you are placing on yourself by using that format.  It is widely supported on most devices, just not Roku.

I have had issues with both MP4 and MKV files since the upgrade to the server on Roku. The stuttering issue in particular happens with MKV files. These are all files I had zero issues with on the Plex platform. Again, I will switch to using the AFS because I appreciate the privacy aspect of Emby, but otherwise, I'd be cutting bait.

On 3/30/2024 at 8:17 PM, Blam84 said:

Sorry, I just sent the app log. I also attached a new ffmpeg log.

• I was playing Griselda S01E03 - Filename Griselda.S01E03.1080p.WEBRip.x265-KONTRAST
    • Forced Subtitle was selected but Roku persists in playing the wrong subtitles
  • Sent the log approximately 8:12pm Eastern Time.
  • User: ericjdaniels

ffmpeg-remux-226e6b24-0452-45fe-af52-3f3fecd9ea56_1.txt 578.33 kB · 4 downloads

Hi, can you please attach the corresponding emby server log? If you don't have it anymore, then please recreate the issue and then attach the emby server and ffmpeg log files together. Thanks.

Blam84

Regarding the subtitle issue - I decided to delete all of the files that were having problems and start from scratch. Was easier that continuing to troubleshoot. No issues since.

Regarding the stuttering issue - it still persists on a growing number of files only on Roku. I have attached logs for my recent experience with it on BEEF.S01E06

ffmpeg-remux-c668f8b7-bccf-4be2-8705-44b8adcf07a3_1.txt embyserver.txt

OK thanks for the update regarding the subtitles.

• 2 weeks later...

Yet again, I have a file that plays perfectly fine on my Amazon Fire stick, but on my Roku, the subtitles are wrong. I have submitted multiple log files and gotten no helpful information on how to fix this issue. 

Has anyone else experienced subtitle issues with the Roku app? If so, what have you done to solve it? What is the common denominator? Is it a certain file type? A certain setting I can change? Is there any way to solve this? 

I much prefer the Roku experience and really hate having to switch over to the fire stick because of this problem. Any help would be great.

Blam84
On 4/21/2024 at 11:08 PM, Luke said:

@Blam84I've merged your topics just so that we can keep all relevant details together. Thanks.

@LukeAny progress on solving the glitching issue? It persists in multiple different file types and without a clear cause. I have solved the subtitle problem by getting new files. But I cannot find a specific cause to the glitching problem to know what to fix. I have submitted log files but heard nothing. And I cannot continue to attempt playback correction every time I watch a show. 

I reinstalled Plex to try these same files there to see if I have the same issue, and I do not. So it is clearly an Emby problem.

Edited by Blam84