Best Synolgy NAS models when burning in subtitles into video?

ng4ever

ng4ever

Best NAS model or some of the best when burning in subtitles into the video where playback will not lag or buffer ?

With at least 2 streams going at once.

ng4ever
9 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Probably any model with Intel chipset assuming it has Quick sync.

What kind of CPU does my Synology NAS have? - Synology Knowledge Center

But there are a lot of Synology users out there that should be able to give a better answer.

Ok thank you. A Synology DS220+ has a Intel chipset and Quick sync but can't burn in subtitles without buffering or lag.

Dibbes
On 3/24/2024 at 10:58 PM, ng4ever said:

Ok thank you. A Synology DS220+ has a Intel chipset and Quick sync but can't burn in subtitles without buffering or lag.

The DS220+ is a Celeron CPU. While it supports quicksync, it needs memory for that. Standardly the DS220+ comes with 2GB of memory, upgradable to 6GB. If you didn't upgrade and you're running Emby of it, expect lag and buffering. Another issue is that you're most likely using spinning disks (The 220+ does not support NVMe, unfortunately) which will add to lag and buffering.

While I understand the reasons people want to use their NAS as an Emby server, I'm not personally a big fan of it. A NAS, while capable little machines nowadays, were never really designed for these workloads. This goes especially for the smaller models.

• Thanks 1

ng4ever
26 minutes ago, Dibbes said:

The DS220+ is a Celeron CPU. While it supports quicksync, it needs memory for that. Standardly the DS220+ comes with 2GB of memory, upgradable to 6GB. If you didn't upgrade and you're running Emby of it, expect lag and buffering. Another issue is that you're most likely using spinning disks (The 220+ does not support NVMe, unfortunately) which will add to lag and buffering.

While I understand the reasons people want to use their NAS as an Emby server, I'm not personally a big fan of it. A NAS, while capable little machines nowadays, were never really designed for these workloads. This goes especially for the smaller models.

Thank you makes sense.

ng4ever

@Dibbeswould my spare Intel i7 12700k work well for a Emby media server? Like at least two streams at the same time 4k burning in subtitles?

Of course I would have to get the rest of the parts but that is ok.

Happy2Play

There are a few topic for that CPU.  But yes it would be good.

ng4ever
2 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

There are a few topic for that CPU.  But yes it would be good.

Thanks.

What if instead of building one which ITX PC would be good minimum ?

ng4ever
Posted (edited)

Just got this ordered.

Hopefully it can handle burning in subtitles into video fine with at up to two streams at least maximum.

https://www.newegg.com/intel-rnuc13anki5000u-nuc-13-pro/p/N82E16856102386

Intel NUC 13 Pro RNUC13ANKi5000U Intel Core 13th Gen i5-1340P Slim Kit - US cord, Single Unit - Memory and Storage Sold Separately

What do you all think ?

I will still use my Synology DS220+ for just storage and VMs (if I ever want to)

Maybe and hopefully some overkill. Hoping I didn't need the i7 model version instead :(

Edited by ng4ever

Dibbes

I'm running Emby of my previous daily driver, an older i7 7700 with a Nvidia 1660 for transcoding where needed and 64GB memory. It can comfortably handle 8 streams, normally a mix of 1080p and 4k and most content is played with subtitles. I do have 2 NVMe drives to spread out loads (Database on one NVMe, Cache on the 2nd NVMe) and the OS on a SATA SSD.

If you're planning on CPU transcoding, then an i7 is definitely not overkill. Make sure you don't skimp on memory though. 16GB is pretty much a minimum nowadays.

• Agree 1