oh my - no DV anymore, checked with 3 apps, 2 devices and 2 TVs

supermood

supermood

hi, sorry, why do I have to write everything 3 times? 

Sam you see here the lg app screenshot is direct play. and yes, I've checked dv without emby is working fine

rb, yes I've checked many dv files that have worked some weeks ago before the update to v42 and I'm only having mkv files for many years

for an amateur like me it looks 100% like a problem with the lg update some weeks ago 

rbjtech
4 minutes ago, supermood said:

rb, yes I've checked many dv files that have worked some weeks ago before the update to v42 and I'm only having mkv files for many years

ok thanks for confirming - as I said, I haven't used the LG Emby App for years - DV only used to work for MP4 and TS but that may be a WebOS limitation rather than Emby.

I'll do some testing tomorrow and report my findings ..

• Like 1

SamES
18 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Does the LG App work with DV using the MKV container ?   It only used to be MP4 and possibly TS format that worked with DV ?

I don't know for sure.  I know that has always been the thinking, but I don't know if anyone has recently tried mkv successfully

• Thanks 1

SamES
9 minutes ago, supermood said:

hi, sorry, why do I have to write everything 3 times? 

Sam you see here the lg app screenshot is direct play. and yes, I've checked dv without emby is working fine

for an amateur like me it looks 100% like a problem with the lg update some weeks ago 

Please try a file on a USB device and confirm that it still works now

• Agree 1

supermood
4 minutes ago, SamES said:

I don't know for sure.  I know that has always been the thinking, but I don't know if anyone has recently tried mkv successfully

but I only have mkvs and I never had any single problem on my 2 lg oleds. I'm 100 pro certain that it was working some weeks ago. 100! 

SamES

Actually, I have a theory.  There was an issue that was stopping some DV files from Direct playing on LG, they were Direct Streaming.  That has been fix, so now they DirectPlay.  Maybe your files worked when being streamed as the mkv container was being removed and they were being delivered as TS via hls?

Edited by SamES

supermood
11 minutes ago, SamES said:

Actually, I have a theory.  There was an issue that was stopping some DV files from Direct playing on LG, they were Direct Streaming.  That has been fix, so now they DirectPlay.  Maybe they worked when being streamed as the mkv container was being removed and they were being delivered as TS via hls?

I'm only understanding the half, max :) but a theory is always good.... thanks.

I saw the post thought it was fixed? I have not seen a setting how to change the handling? all I know is I only have direct play. no transcoding whatsoever it's turned off (and turning on makes no difference...) 

SamES
4 minutes ago, supermood said:

all I know is I only have direct play. no transcoding whatsoever it's turned off (and turning on makes no difference...) 

Was this always the case that it was off?

supermood

no I turned off after I read the post that it would solve the problem. but I never trancoded anything my devices play that stuff. with my ds1821 I don't have an Intel no hw no gpu it would probably stutter 

SamES

But I think what we are saying is correct, I don't think DV works in MKV on LG.  You will need to test this on USB to be certain.  

I know you say it worked previously, but if you had transcoding, etc enabled in an older app version (ie: 1.0.39) then I expect the server was copying the video/audio streams to a new container (without actually transcoding anything - so no server load) and this was allowing it to play for you as it was no longer in an mkv format after the server changed the container.   This was actually a bug, but in your case it was allowing it to work.

Assuming we all agree that DV in mkv does not work for LG, then we should allow the server to DirectPlay DV only when in an mp4 or ts container, and DirectStream in all other cases. @rbjtech, does that sound reasonable?

rbjtech
10 hours ago, SamES said:

Assuming we all agree that DV in mkv does not work for LG, then we should allow the server to DirectPlay DV only when in an mp4 or ts container, and DirectStream in all other cases. @rbjtech, does that sound reasonable?

So I did some testing - this was on my LG OLED C8 and the results were exactly as I predicted - and things have not changed since I moved off the LG Emby App years ago .. (the reason I bought a Shield Pro instead..)

Latest LG App - 1042

Files below from official LG Demo files.

• TS + DV5 - TV Activates DV correctly
  • MP4 + DV5 - TV Activates DV correctly

Files below are my normal MKV's - these playback in the Shield in DV just fine (activating DV on the TV).

• MKV + DV8 - TV Activates HDR Only (fallback layer)
  • MKV + DV5 - TV plays with DV5 colour space (purple/green) 

So in summary, it's behaving exactly as I thought it would.

@SamES- Re the streaming theory - I agree, any container swap to TS or MP4 (from MKV) is going to lose DV in the process - the best you are going to get is HDR - and even that might not be possible via HLS ?

But as said above - removing Emby from the equation - simply copy the file that previously 'worked' (activated DV on the TV) to a USB stick - and then use WebOS to open the file - if it does not activate DV, then neither will emby as it uses the exact same internal LG player.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Thanks 1

supermood
11 hours ago, SamES said:

But I think what we are saying is correct, I don't think DV works in MKV on LG.  You will need to test this on USB to be certain.  

I know you say it worked previously, but if you had transcoding, etc enabled in an older app version (ie: 1.0.39) then I expect the server was copying the video/audio streams to a new container (without actually transcoding anything - so no server load) and this was allowing it to play for you as it was no longer in an mkv format after the server changed the container.   This was actually a bug, but in your case it was allowing it to work.

hi sorry I don't know how many times I should say that. 

I never transcoded anything in my life with emby or any other way.

I'm 100% sure I watched endless dv movies and shows without receiver (directly with lg app) on b7 and a cxx I don't know from last year.

I have only and I really mean only mkv files. the last time I had an ts file or avi or I don't know whatever is 8 years ago best guess. 

there must be a change with emby or lg webos. I'm not an it guy but with 3 completed studies and a strong interest in technology I would say I'm not completely stupid ;) I know the settings and my setup 

and in my pictures you see that 2 different dv files (that were played correctly some weeks ago) are recognized as dv and are played directly. 

they are just pink now or hdr only mode

so no, we do not agree that lg and emby aren't playing (or better weren't) playing dv mkv files.

i can copy these 2 on usb later but I'm not sure what this info will help? first I need to download an lg app that is able to play local dv files I guess? Last time I read about these topics were some years ago and vlc were not... 

happy Thursday! sun is shining! it's just tv... but nevertheless annoying... 😉 

rbjtech
38 minutes ago, supermood said:

i can copy these 2 on usb later but I'm not sure what this info will help? first I need to download an lg app that is able to play local dv files I guess?

You don't need to download any apps - and this is the point we are making.

Emby does not 'play' anything on the LG TV - all it effectively does is pass the 'data' to the internal LG player.   It then plays it.   This is why there are restrictions.   Emby has no control over what the internal player can or cannot play.

The 100% proof of this - is to copy the file to a USB stick (as is, just copy your MKV file) and then in the WebOS file explorer (already in the 'Apps') try and play the file. 

You can download a TS or MP4 DV Demo files from the web and put those on the USB as well if you like - they will play/activate DV - unless the much nwer versions of WebOS now support MKV, I'm suspecting the MKV will not activate DV (and never has) - it may play as HDR if the DV has that fallback layer (MKV/DV 8 ) but will play with odd colours if a MKV/DV5 as the LG Player will not recognise it as DV and change it's colour space.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

supermood

very strange. I read some reddit and other and most are saying it's not working. not all but most.

very very strange.

maybe there is a matrix, the probability might be higher than I was dreaming the last 5 years.

evening cet I will try an usb with standard lg player. I will also search old dv mkvs I'm sure of playing it via TV only. maybe it's the v5 vs v8 vs whatever.

as written I only have mkvs theres nothing else. 

thanks and happy Thursday 

• Like 2

supermood

no I have dv Pic with lg tv app directly, but its indeed an mb4 file. seems you were absolutely right.. 

now with that file srt subs are not possible me? Also no download functionality..? 

I see only mov_Text never saw that before. if I click one dv Pic is gone, maybe transcoding? that's not the sub I want... 

SamES
8 hours ago, supermood said:

no I have dv Pic with lg tv app directly, but its indeed an mb4 file. seems you were absolutely right.. 

now with that file srt subs are not possible me? Also no download functionality..? 

I see only mov_Text never saw that before. if I click one dv Pic is gone, maybe transcoding? that's not the sub I want... 

Thanks for testing and confirming. 

For the subs, if the file has an srt provided, then you should be able to select it. If you can’t, can you please provide the media info for that file. Have you configured the subtitle download feature and confirmed that it is working on the server?  Does that user have the download subtitle permission enabled?

supermood
On 4/4/2024 at 1:04 AM, SamES said:

Thanks for testing and confirming. 

For the subs, if the file has an srt provided, then you should be able to select it. If you can’t, can you please provide the media info for that file. Have you configured the subtitle download feature and confirmed that it is working on the server?  Does that user have the download subtitle permission enabled?

for the media info I have to be at home I remember mp4 dv file, maybe 25 gig. very new and only checked to see dv with lg tv app directly. In the same folder there's an downloaded srt file as always. with android tv and android app the sub was there. the subs are not coming from emby automatically I have a better solution. but it's all maintained just not turned on for new or older content