oh my - no DV anymore, checked with 3 apps, 2 devices and 2 TVs

supermood

supermood

with one of the latest updates - not sure but not longer than maybe 5 weeks - I dont have dolby vision anymore 

docker on synology now on 4830, apps, latest

1. android tv,
2. android
3. LG
checked with 3 devices,
A: z9x pro,
B: shield pro,
C LG TV app
and !2! DV TVs

--> the stats for nerds are always telling me my TVs are NOT capable of DV - which is of course wrong and was different some weeks ago

and pls dont tell em something about hdmi cables or lan network! or files, I've checked many files that were working in the past
AND, without emby with the z9x pro app and jellyfin and even direct LG app, I still have DV.

Whats needed to fix this?
many thanks!! 

Edited by supermood
  • Like 1

Happy2Play

I would guess server and ffmpeg logs but would guess this is not a Synology/server issue and would require topics per client.  As the Client would be saying hey I don't support this.

supermood

yes possible I had client updates on android, android TV and LG in the last week's as well. but how are the chances that on all 3 apps dv is crashed now? 

how can I download the logs per client? or what should I do l?

thanks 

• Like 1

supermood

hello. anybody here? Luke? no dv with lg 1042 no dv with emby on z9x pro even with external player activated, via android app and android tv app

supermood

with 1042 I cannot play dv anymore and transcoding is off anyway all the time. no difference for on or off. 

rbjtech
18 hours ago, supermood said:

with 1042 I cannot play dv anymore and transcoding is off anyway all the time. no difference for on or off. 

Please provide as much detail as possible - a mediainfo from the file will be useful.    Did the same file play as DV on the previous version ?

supermood

the dv issue seems related to latest server update 3810 I guess? 

I don't have dv anymore with android tv app, Android app, lg app. tested with various files that were working before. and tested with 4 devices. 2 dv lg TVs, shield pro, z9x pro

first one is an episode that opens in all emby combinations as pink Pic without switching the TV in any specific mode 

the next pic is a movie that opens in hdr TV mode 

both were working before in dv and both are still working in dv without emby 

IMG_20240327_123439.jpg

IMG_20240327_123517.jpg

supermood

I don't have dv anymore with android tv app, Android app, lg app. tested with various files that were working before. and tested with 4 devices. 2 dv lg TVs, shield pro, z9x pro

first one is an episode that opens in all emby combinations as pink Pic without switching the TV in any specific mode 

IMG_20240327_123517.jpg

IMG_20240327_123439.jpg

rbjtech
1 hour ago, supermood said:

I'm a little confused by 'server update 3810' ?

What emby version are you running ?  

Latest stable is 4.8.3.0, latest beta is 4.9.0.12 ?

I haven't tested on my LG Emby client, but all forms of Dolby Vision profiles 5,7 & 8 via the emby Android and AndroidTV (latest client betas) clients are working with DV for me (Emby server 4.8.3.0), but this is via MKV files.   I know the LG only used to work with DV (5 & 8 only I believe) via MP4 or TS.

Edited by rbjtech

supermood

no sorry, typo. 4830 latest via docker on synology

I only have mkv for maybe 10 years now, and I never had any single issue with dv and emby. not one.

on shield it was perfect with android tv and android app and on lg it also was. with z9x pro it was working with external player.

now every stats for nerds view is telling me my tv is capable of hdr 10 and hlg, no dv anymore. 

something is def different then it was some weeks before 

rbjtech
3 hours ago, supermood said:

now every stats for nerds view is telling me my tv is capable of hdr 10 and hlg, no dv anymore. 

So if SFN is not reporting DV - then at least that is the reason.

I'd suggest you do an in app log for @ebrfor AndroidTV (turn on debug in the app itself) and for Android - this has logging now as well.  It's a bit of a faff getting to the log to send it (or post it here) but in theory, it too should not indicate DV capability.  Do a quick search on where the log lives.

You haven't turned off DV on your TV have you ? 🤪

supermood
3 hours ago, rbjtech said:

So if SFN is not reporting DV - then at least that is the reason.

emby sees that these are dv files. these are the info in the video section and movie site itself and the little banner with pause.. 

but in sfn playback info section I thought that's the info about the capabilities and devices? here we have first line player exoplayer and second hlg hdr10. a  month ago I saw there dolby vision as well. if I remember correctly it was always hdr10, dv

supermood

no off course dv is not turned off don't think that's even possible and as said I'm watching dv content on both TV without emby. no issues. 

my main concern is currently the lg app, not android tv.

for watching dv content via receiver with 10 speaker I'm using z9x pro and their player no problem at all (besides that I love emby and hate their interface...) 

but now I want to watch a show with dv without receiver, only TV speaker. for that I need the lg emby app. and before the v1042 is it? everything was working! 

rbjtech

ok - so if the LG App v1042 is now not detecting your TV as having Dolby Vision - then that is indeed a problem.

I'm not sure if you can get logs from the LG app to see what it's detecting - I haven't used the LG App in such a long time.

@SamES- any advice here to see why it's not detecting DV from the TV when a previous version of the app did ?

(I can test myself a little later on tonight ..)

Edited by rbjtech

Happy2Play

At the same time if it stopped working in all apps that would suggest a server change/issue.  Or environmental issue.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Thanks 1

supermood

I can confirm on both lg oled TVs the app 1042 is not working with dv. with shield pro and emby android tv dv is back on both TVs. 

with the lg app is as written either hdr mode only or pink picture (last time I had this is 5 years ago..) 

lg app needs to be fixed. logs with lg app? no clue how 

Happy2Play

But also comes back to if you are the only one having the issue then what is wrong in your environment?

supermood
2 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

At the same time if it stopped working in all apps that would suggest a server change/issue.  Or environmental issue.

yes with z9x pro emby is not working at all I've written that some weeks ago. jellyfin or their internal is my workaround in the moment. therefore could be not related to the dv topic now with the lg app. what dj I know I'm not an it guy I just want to watch a show.. 😉 

supermood
1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

But also comes back to if you are the only one having the issue then what is wrong in your environment?

I think my environment is as perfect as possible. an tv app can hardly be described as environment. Just install it via lg store. and the app worked perfectly until the last update (I only installed because recently released movies on home...) 

Happy2Play

I will guess devs will need to see server and ffmpeg logs if present for specific examples.  And possibly client log if applicable.

supermood

do you know how to send them an log? I now have an emby server txt file with debugging on and

1. pink picture

2. hdr mode

for 2 different dv files that are working as dv without lg app 

supermood

and here we have 2 views on it via browser. looks identical to me. 

besides with lg app I have a pink picture and with shield all is perfect 

Screenshot_20240327_235218.jpg

Screenshot_20240327_235203.jpg

SamES

Just be aware that for LG, the client doesn't do anything to play DV.  The file is passed to the HTML video element/player and the TV's internal web engine handles all the playback.  As long as the file is a supported DV file and is delivered in a supported format (ie: direct play, not transcoded, etc) then it should automatically play as DV (or HDR, HDR+, etc).  It's all up to the TV (and what is supported by the firmware version, webOS, etc).

So, if you are certain that the file is being played using DirectPlay, then DV should be working if it is a supported DV format.  Try playing the file from a USB device using the TV's built in media player.  How are you confirming that it is not playing in DV?

rbjtech

Does the LG App work with DV using the MKV container ?   It only used to be MP4 and possibly TS format that worked with DV ?